Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Time PC Build Advice - NON-GAMING

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 21, 2014 10:00:21 PM

Hello All,

First post and first time considering building a PC from scratch and thought it wise to get some feedback from the community before taking the plunge. Thanks in advance for the help!

Purpose
General use - Internet/Documents/Streaming Music. Not much else
Bluray collection backup - Approximately 50 discs at the moment. Will encode after ripping and hope to complete one disc in around 1-2 hours. Will not be multitasking during the process
Non-intensive gaming - Just need the ability to play the occasional new game (low-mid quality is fine)
Media Library - Will link this to an HTPC that will be able to access my media library
Expansion - Would like to gradually upgrade this rig into something that can handle music production

Budget
No budget constraints but it's always nice to save where possible. I would really appreciate any advice on parts that are overkill for what I'm trying to achieve. I will purchase all the parts in the coming 1-2 months.

*As I live in Hong Kong, there are plenty of independent retailers I can visit to find the best price for each part. I've used newegg.com solely for reference.

My Attempt
Case
Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black/Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case @$99.99

MoBo
ASUS Z87-A (NFC EXPRESS EDITION) LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard @$149.99

CPU
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics @$309.99

Power Supply
CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply @$59.99

Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory @$92.99

Storage
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA II TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) @$109.99
Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM00 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive @$164.99

Optical Drive
LG Black 16x BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner @$69.99

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM @$99.99

TOTAL: $1157.91

Will the above be able to handle what I want it to? Are all of the parts compatible with each other? Am I purchasing any parts that are overkill for what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks again!
January 21, 2014 10:14:48 PM

you could get the Intel Core i5-4670K cheaper and really good for gaming as well (although you don't want it necessarily for gaming) do you want a graphics card? i could build recommend parts for a kickass 1200 dollar pc.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 10:28:31 PM

Are you overclocking?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2014 10:29:56 PM

realchaos said:
Are you overclocking?


he doesn't need overclocking yet for general purposes
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 10:31:23 PM

Still an option. Overclocking isn't just for specific purposes. It's an option some people like to have to have their computer last a bit longer. Also, it can help in music production.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 21, 2014 10:39:28 PM

The build looks like it will work well for your intended use. The i7 will come in very handy for your Blu-ray backups. I use the beta version of Handbrake that has Quick Sync enabled with my i7 system and it chews through Blu-ray backups in about 30 minutes once I have a MKV file created. I wouldn't drop down to the i5. There are so many strictly gaming people on this forum they forget that the i7 is a much better CPU for video editing type work.

I would suggest Windows 8.1 for your build. I'm sure you've heard complaints about it, but it's really a great OS once you get over the learning curve.
Share
January 22, 2014 7:11:52 AM

limitzvfxgoespc said:
you could get the Intel Core i5-4670K cheaper and really good for gaming as well (although you don't want it necessarily for gaming) do you want a graphics card? i could build recommend parts for a kickass 1200 dollar pc.

I originally had the i5-4670 earmarked, but as shortstuff_mt says below, I figured the i7 would be the better option in the long run.

I'm on the fence regarding the graphics card and leaning slightly towards not having one at the moment. From what I understand, a good graphics card will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to rip/encode my bluray collection? But at the end of the day, this process doesn't need to be done overnight. Figured this would be an unnecessary expense for current needs.

I would definitely appreciate your take on how you build a system for my needs! As mentioned, I am open to any and all advice from more educated folk than myself!
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 7:16:57 AM

realchaos said:
Still an option. Overclocking isn't just for specific purposes. It's an option some people like to have to have their computer last a bit longer. Also, it can help in music production.

To be honest, I don't have enough technical knowledge to know whether or not I will ever need or want to overclock. If I were to overclock, how much longer would this rig last, generally speaking? And will overclocking produce a significant improvement when it comes to music production? (Please bear in mind that music production is more a hobby so will not need a professional setup)

Thanks in advance
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 7:24:20 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
The build looks like it will work well for your intended use. The i7 will come in very handy for your Blu-ray backups. I use the beta version of Handbrake that has Quick Sync enabled with my i7 system and it chews through Blu-ray backups in about 30 minutes once I have a MKV file created. I wouldn't drop down to the i5. There are so many strictly gaming people on this forum they forget that the i7 is a much better CPU for video editing type work.

I would suggest Windows 8.1 for your build. I'm sure you've heard complaints about it, but it's really a great OS once you get over the learning curve.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my choices shortstuff_mt! Good to know the hours of googling articles and reading forum posts has paid off!

As mentioned above, I was originally going to settle for the i5 but then read that the i7 will have a significant impact on the ripping/encoding process. Definitely worth the nominal price difference!

Personally, I'm not picky about which OS I'll be using. I've chosen Windows 7 solely due to familiarity. That said, is there any specific reason why Windows 8.1 would be better than Windows 7 for the type of system I'm trying to build?

Thanks in advance
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 7:47:39 AM

You don't need a separate GPU to accelerate video encoding. I don't have a GPU in my system since I don't game. I use the integrated GPU on my i7. If you use the Handbrake version that supports Intel Quick Sync it uses the integrated GPU to significantly reduce your encoding time. It used to take 2+ hours to encode a Blu-ray with just my overclocked i7. It now takes about 30 minutes utilizing Quick Sync in Handbrake.

Windows 8.1 is slightly faster than Windows 7 and utilizes the latest Directx and such. It's really not that different when you set it up to boot to the desktop and use regular desktop apps instead of the modern ones. I thought I would regret moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but I haven't at all.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 4:13:38 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
You don't need a separate GPU to accelerate video encoding. I don't have a GPU in my system since I don't game. I use the integrated GPU on my i7. If you use the Handbrake version that supports Intel Quick Sync it uses the integrated GPU to significantly reduce your encoding time. It used to take 2+ hours to encode a Blu-ray with just my overclocked i7. It now takes about 30 minutes utilizing Quick Sync in Handbrake.

Windows 8.1 is slightly faster than Windows 7 and utilizes the latest Directx and such. It's really not that different when you set it up to boot to the desktop and use regular desktop apps instead of the modern ones. I thought I would regret moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but I haven't at all.

Windows 8.1 it is! Thanks for the advice!

m
0
l
!