Specs:
4670k-stock
Z87 Sabertooth- latest bios
G.Skill Ram 16gb-stock (No OC)
Evo 840 pro ssd- drive the game is installed on
1000 watt PSU- OCZ gold certified
Powercolor R9 290- stock (No OC)

Problem:
I start playing Skyrim (Ultra settings) and about 20 seconds into the actual game (not title screen) the games freezes, white screen for about another 3-5 seconds, game comes back and run choppy and is basically unplayable. Basically it crashes and then recovers (sometimes it doesn't even go back to the game)
Temps never go past 64 degrees, custom fan profile on the card.
Ive done a clean install on a brand new ssd of windows 8, 8.1 (I'm about to test windows 7)
Clean install of amd 13.25 and 13.11 drivers on a fresh copy of OS.
Always crash, no matter what.

Everything is updated and installed and didn't have any issues like this when I was running a 7870(powercolor too).

I even went as far as flashing the GPU bios again but to no avail

I've started the RMA process for this card (which was bought brand new from Newegg on 1/1/2014)

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem?

Solution
You are on the right track, RMA is the only option left, cause what you have described lead me to think of a faulty card.

BTW something went wrong with flashing BIOS ?

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

I saved the original bios if my card and a second power color I bought I tried both bios with a successful flash and still nothing, I guess the RMA route is the only one left, coincidentally I'm posting this from the post office with my card in hand ready to ship it off