Solved

How to get four(4) screens on Gigabyte HD7870 and Dell 1909w

Could someone guide me through on how to get these 4 monitors working on my ati hd7870 gpu?

Connectors: HDMI, DVI, 2xminiDisplays.

Thanks in advance
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about screens gigabyte hd7870 dell 1909w
  1. You'd need two active adapters mini DP to DVI or HDMI.
    Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944
  2. alexoiu said:
    You'd need two active adapters mini DP to DVI or HDMI.
    Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944


    Hi and thanks for reply. This will only give me 2 monitors...what about the remaining two? one dvi and one hdmi?
  3. Hi, For those 2 you can use simple cables.
  4. alexoiu said:
    Hi, For those 2 you can use simple cables.


    you mean dvi and hdmi so all gets its own port?
  5. Not sure I've got that.
    But, have you bought the card, installed and tested it with single monitor?
    I mean I see you're using a P5Q SE2 board and I'm curious if the board does work with the 7870.
  6. alexoiu said:
    Not sure I've got that.
    But, have you bought the card, installed and tested it with single monitor?
    I mean I see you're using a P5Q SE2 board and I'm curious if the board does work with the 7870.


    No what I meant was since the card has 2mini, dvi and hdmi... i just basically need 4 different connectors(streams) to get the signal? I was trying to use the splitter but it didn't work for me.

    Btw p5q is my old profile. I don't have that mobo anymore.

    I'll try two mini, dvi, dvi-hdmi adapter and let you know.
  7. Just to make sure you got it:
    monitor 1: miniDP to miniDP or active miniDP to HDMi or active miniDP to DVI
    monitor 2: miniDP to miniDP or active miniDP to HDMi or active miniDP to DVI
    monitor 3: HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI
    monitor 4: DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI.
  8. alexoiu said:
    Just to make sure you got it:
    monitor 1: miniDP to miniDP or active miniDP to HDMi or active miniDP to DVI
    monitor 2: miniDP to miniDP or active miniDP to HDMi or active miniDP to DVI
    monitor 3: HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI
    monitor 4: DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI.


    Alexoiu,

    So I've got all four plugged in, computer recognizes 4 BUT only 2 visible. What would be the step now to get catalyst setup right?
  9. I can't find any reference on how to hook up 4 monitors. Like i said, catalyst see (4) but only (2) active and (2) disabled. When trying to extend it doesn't work. Any help?
  10. just found out that these 2x active miniDP to DVI ARE NOT ACTIVE. Is this is the reason?
  11. Yes, that's the reason. There was an warning on that page (Customers reviews):
    "Just an FYI this is not an active adapter. I was under the mistaken impression that it was.
    Not the products fault, it works fine, just not as an adapter for a third monitor."
    Try returning them and look for adapters that specifically say active.
  12. already ordered two new. Just curious what does the "active" do for the mini? Thanks again for all the help
  13. Best answer
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Gigabyte Graphics