Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

overclocked CPU, RAM speeds dropped and high idle temps

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 22, 2014 4:09:34 PM

I just overclocked my i5 750 from 2.6GHz to 3.5GHz.

My RAM speeds (with XMP enabled) was at 800MHz in CPU-Z.
After the overclock, the speeds are now 700MHz.
I have Corsair 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V RAM.




Here are some screenshots above.

My idle temps also look quite high, considering I have an arctic CPU cooler and thermal paste (well vented case).
They were around 25-30c idle at stock speeds.

Can someone please help, been stuck at this for a while!
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2014 4:13:44 PM

25-30 is not high?

The chip will melt at 90. You've got a long ways to go.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 4:18:35 PM

well if its too hot then uve got to downclock it....

change ur ram in ur bios back to 1600 if they at 1400 some how?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2014 4:20:31 PM

evan1715 said:
well if its too hot then uve got to downclock it....

change ur ram in ur bios back to 1600 if they at 1400 some how?


A Max temp of 63 is nothing.

At 75, I'd start to bring it down.

Even then, in a gaming situation, you will never use the CPU at that intensity. You will never reach those temperatures using the computer.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2014 4:20:53 PM

Alec is right. 30 is typical for idle, about 100°F. My i5 goes at 72°C when at full load while running prime95. 72°C is the sweet spot and you want to shoot for when at 100% load.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 4:26:43 PM

My idle temps are 50-55c since the overclock (check screenshots).
I meant my idle temp was 35-40 before I overclocked.


Quote:
change ur ram in ur bios back to 1600 if they at 1400 some how?

I can't. It's stuck at either 1400 MHz or 1750 MHz (if I select either 8x or 10x on the memory multiplier).
The only way to get it back to 1600 MHz is if I reset the whole bios and CPU clock speeds.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2014 4:40:27 PM

rubbed said:
My idle temps are 50-55c since the overclock (check screenshots).
I meant my idle temp was 35-40 before I overclocked.


Quote:
change ur ram in ur bios back to 1600 if they at 1400 some how?

I can't. It's stuck at either 1400 MHz or 1750 MHz (if I select either 8x or 10x on the memory multiplier).
The only way to get it back to 1600 MHz is if I reset the whole bios and CPU clock speeds.


Did you increase the voltage?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 5:04:21 PM

I just reduced it to 1.20v and the temps are still the same.
Everything else is on auto.

But i did notice something wierd, playing games my temp stays around 50-55 (20-30% load).
at higher load it peaks around 80-85c.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 23, 2014 8:08:46 AM

Alec Mowat said:
A Max temp of 63 is nothing.

At 75, I'd start to bring it down.

mf Red said:
Alec is right. 30 is typical for idle, about 100°F. My i5 goes at 72°C when at full load while running prime95. 72°C is the sweet spot and you want to shoot for when at 100% load.

i dont think u guys actually read what he wrote?
he said his idle temps are 50.....

@rubbed
try changing the fan speed to full ? im not sure, its weird how u have high idle temps and while still having stable load temps.

if ur ram can go to 1750 then why not go for it? xD

remember the idea of overclocking is the highest clock speed (within temperature range) with the lowest amount of voltage to still be stable.
if u run prime95 at 100% for 10 minutes and it seems stable, go ahead and lower ur voltage a little then do it again. if ur computer crashes then u need to increase the voltage or decrease clock speed.
Share
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2014 8:25:01 AM

rubbed said:
I just reduced it to 1.20v and the temps are still the same.
Everything else is on auto.

But i did notice something wierd, playing games my temp stays around 50-55 (20-30% load).
at higher load it peaks around 80-85c.


Put it back to default speeds.

If it's still running at that temp, remove the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste properly.

If it's not, than the heat sink cannot handle that much heat.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 11:11:36 AM

Hi,

The temps dropped back to 25-30c idle at factory settings.

I enabled some stuff in BIOS (LLC/c1 stuff) and it seems to have dropped by about 5-10c.

Overclocked the temps are now:
Minimal load: 38-42c
Gaming load: 50-60c
Full load: 70-80c (stress test)

Voltage is still at 1.20v (tried reducing but got a BSOD 5 mins into startup).

I haven't touched the temps for anything else, should I be?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2014 4:40:16 PM

It's all guess work from here, really. 80 is a little hot.
m
0
l
January 24, 2014 9:14:53 AM

Quick update:

Opened PC case and completely cleaned it out.
There was a lot of dust in the PSU/Case/CPU fans.
Also re-applied thermal paste.

Temps are now 35c idle (overclocked to 3.5GHz).
100% load temps (intel stress test): 64-68c.

Sorted I think!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2014 10:28:26 AM

That's good bud! Your temps should improve after a week or so, it takes time for the paste to set.
m
0
l
!