Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Using old hard drive in new build easy question!! Please help

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 23, 2014 12:52:56 AM

I completely rebuild my computer new processor new gpu card new moherboard but i dont want to spend money on a new hard drive or on a new windows 7 OS so i want to use my old one however i have no problem losing all files yet i dont want to lose windows 7 operating system i already have in my hdd because i dont have the cds? What can i do what are the steps? Basically i dont want to buy a new copy or a new hdd because i already did i just want to transfer
January 23, 2014 1:12:00 AM

Hi Cuervo
unfortunately, you will need to reinstall windows 7. if your drive already has a recovery partition you can use that but if not, then you will have to obtain a copy of windows 7 installer with a license. there will be no issue using your existing hard drive as far as the physical side goes, but it will instantly blue screen if you try to use it without reinstalling as none of the drivers will be correct.

regards
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 23, 2014 1:15:30 AM

phate1337 said:
Hi Cuervo
unfortunately, you will need to reinstall windows 7. if your drive already has a recovery partition you can use that but if not, then you will have to obtain a copy of windows 7 installer with a license. there will be no issue using your existing hard drive as far as the physical side goes, but it will instantly blue screen if you try to use it without reinstalling as none of the drivers will be correct.

regards

I cannot count how many times I have used a OS from another computer, without it "instantly blue screen".
There will be problems, but nothing as a instant blue screen.
He doesn't need a license to install windows 7.


m
0
l
Related resources
January 23, 2014 1:25:43 AM

vmN said:
phate1337 said:
Hi Cuervo
unfortunately, you will need to reinstall windows 7. if your drive already has a recovery partition you can use that but if not, then you will have to obtain a copy of windows 7 installer with a license. there will be no issue using your existing hard drive as far as the physical side goes, but it will instantly blue screen if you try to use it without reinstalling as none of the drivers will be correct.

regards

I cannot count how many times I have used a OS from another computer, without it "instantly blue screen".
There will be problems, but nothing as a instant blue screen.
He doesn't need a license to install windows 7.




Hi vmN
if you use a different motherboard manufacturer you have a 90% chance (this being from experience of building a couple of hundred systems) of it blue screening at bootup. you are correct that you don't need a license to install, but you do need one to validate and get updates and use your windows PC legally and legitimately.
Regards

on a side note, moving a HDD from one system to another identical build (example... IT suite. one pc has a mobo failure and another pc is not in use, swap HDDs and all good) will give you good results, but upgrading everything including GPU and MoBo will ALWAYS require a reinstallation of windows for stability even if you get no issues at first boot.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 93 à CPUs
January 23, 2014 1:34:06 AM

phate1337 said:
vmN said:
phate1337 said:
Hi Cuervo
unfortunately, you will need to reinstall windows 7. if your drive already has a recovery partition you can use that but if not, then you will have to obtain a copy of windows 7 installer with a license. there will be no issue using your existing hard drive as far as the physical side goes, but it will instantly blue screen if you try to use it without reinstalling as none of the drivers will be correct.

regards

I cannot count how many times I have used a OS from another computer, without it "instantly blue screen".
There will be problems, but nothing as a instant blue screen.
He doesn't need a license to install windows 7.




Hi vmN
if you use a different motherboard manufacturer you have a 90% chance (this being from experience of building a couple of hundred systems) of it blue screening at bootup. you are correct that you don't need a license to install, but you do need one to validate and get updates and use your windows PC legally and legitimately.
Regards

on a side note, moving a HDD from one system to another identical build (example... IT suite. one pc has a mobo failure and another pc is not in use, swap HDDs and all good) will give you good results, but upgrading everything including GPU and MoBo will ALWAYS require a reinstallation of windows for stability even if you get no issues at first boot.


You dont need a fresh install if you switch out the GPU, and no it's even close to be 90%(this is the experience of handling this for a lot of years), but you will run into problems if you dont reinstall after changing the MOBO.
Windows will detect if you got new hardware.
Share
January 23, 2014 1:40:42 AM

agreed with the GPU, but mobo change will require a reinstallation of windows
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 5:16:53 AM

I just changed out my cpu, mobo, gpu with windows 8.1 and booted up with the same ssd with zero issues. I just had to re-activate it online which was instant. You might have to call into Microsoft just to re-activate it.
m
0
l
!