$600 AUD Gaming PC - Finalising

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Ok so this is my revised build and I am now ready to purchase the parts! What I really need to know is will all these parts work, out of the box, without needing to mess around with bios or whatever? And would I need any additional fans the current case i have chosen already comes with 2? For internet I will just be using a ethernet cable straight into my PC, is that ok? Sorry for all the questions it is my first build and I would like to make sure I am doing everything ok. Also if there is anything else I may need or should consider changing or adjusting please let me know! I won't be needing an OS or a DVD drive. With the ram I know it is only 4GB so what i would like to know is should I spend the extra $45 and upgrade my ram to a 8GB? And would you recommend upgrading the PSU to a more reliable brand? Other than that I think I did ok, what do you think? My absolute maximum budget is $625 I can't go over that whatsoever.

Anyways here is my build:

CPU: i3-4130 3.4GHz $137.00
Mobo: MSI B85-G43 $84
RAM Patriot 4GB 1600MHZ $45
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM $68
GPU: AMD R7 260X $164
Case: Coolermaster NSE-300A $49
PSU: Antec 450P 450Wat $59

Total: $606

For a monitor at the moment I am thinking of going for the Asus 23.6" VS247HR. A cheaper alternative would probably be better but I don't want to lose quality too much.

Thanks heaps in advance!

Solution
For school stuff and movies you'd be absolutely fine, should be good for gaming (and great for gaming after the upgrades)

For more CPU intensive games like BF4 and Metro Last Light you'll see a big difference when you eventually get an i5

I personally stayed with Windows 7 64 bit since I got used to it, but 8/8.1 does give you better performance in some games like FC3 and BF4

Wouldn't want a giant case either, the VP450 apparently has some fairly short cables :lol:

Icaraeus

Honorable
Hey, I'm from Australia too! Use this site to find the best prices, you just search the part and it comes up with the lowest price found on the Internet - it obtains info from up to 300000 stores, meaning what you find on this site is the best you'll find: http://www.staticice.com.au/

You will be able to come up with a lower price than what you currently have, and you might even pick up substantially better parts for less as well. Personally I would go with Seagate for the HDD's, though WD is a well-rated one as well. Let me know how the site I linked goes for you - you could start by searching the parts you currently listed and then work from there.

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

umm ok then thanks...

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Yeh I know I have heard that a lot but I decided to go Intel because the AM3+ chip is appearantly dead. So in the future when I would like to upgrade to say an i5 It would be much easier only having to swap the cpu. Is that right, I am only pretty new to computer?

Thanks heaps for your help!

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Alright. So if I were to go AMD would something like this do the trick? :

CPU: AMD FX6300 $139.00
Mobo: Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 $68
RAM Patriot 4GB 1600MHZ $45 (only 1 stick)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM $68
GPU: AMD R7 260X $164
Case: Coolermaster NSE-200A $49 (note it comes with 2 fans front and rear)
PSU: Antec 450VP $59
CPU Fan: Deepcool Gammaxx 200 $15 (I chose to add a cpu fan because i have been told that the one that comes with the fx6300 is very noisy and bit inefficient)

Total: $607

How's that look? Anything else you would change?

Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it!!

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

So for $14 I can get G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 2GB 1600MHz or for an extra $55 I can get either the G.Skill Sniper or Ripjaws both 2x 2GB.

Is it really worth having the extra 4GB for like $40 more?

Just get a single stick of 4GB so you have room for a total of 8GB in future which is the optimal amount, otherwise you'd have to get an entirely new kit which is silly

You'll be running a dedicated GPU, dual channel doesn't mean any performance difference and a single stick allows you full expandability

You're going to be running dual channel eventually, hence why we recommended that you get another 4GB stick in the future, 2x2GB leaves you absolutely no breathing room

4GB will not be adequate for modern upcoming games

If you didn't want that Intel upgrade path we established in your older thread, then the 6300 should be just fine, you'd just need to get a new mobo and CPU if you wanted an upgrade (since an eight core FX chip on that board will throttle)

The brand of RAM doesn't really matter, Patriot is a decent brand for memory

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Ok that's what I sort of figured. Especially because as I start to earn more money I will be able to upgrade and I would think it would be much more economic to use a single stick for now so I can just add another single stick in the future. But where I am completely lost is do I go Intel or AMD? The 6300 I have heard is more for gaming than an i3. But the i3 build is much more upgradeable and uses a chip system that isn't dead which is handy for future upgrades too. I am more leaning to Intel.

And thank you rolandzhang3 I really appreciate your help I just wanted to start a new thread to sort of say I am finalising my build and see if anyone had any additional opinions.

Yep it's fine, the VP450 is a great budget unit

For long term upgradability the Intel build is better, you'll just have slightly less performance in the shorter run depending on the applications

For overall better balance and performance for the meantime, the AMD build would be your best bet

Though if it were completely up to me I'd try my best to save up and go for an i5-4430 in one go haha

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Ok. Ahhh it's so hard to choose!! See I may not even upgrade for another 6-8 months. Is there a way I can get a better mobo or something for the AMD build that would make it more upgradeable?

Your only upgrade options for the AMD option would be the 8320 and 8350, you'd want a 970 board which should cost around $100 or more, something like an Asrock 970 Pro3 or Extreme3 (then again I'm not entirely sure about the BIOS version that comes with these boards, if a board has a R2.0 after it, then it should support Vishera chips out of the box)

Hope Mantle takes off well and more games utilize it, because by then we'll have games relying more on the GPU rather than the CPU

A stock 6300 should be fine paired with most GPUs around the performance level of a 760/7950, MMOs like Guild Wars 2 and other games like Civilisation 5 will run much better on Intel, but those are only a few games out of many out there

I guess you could take a look at how older gaming CPUs like the Phenom II X4 945/955/965 still hold up today (which are still quite relevant), that'd give you an idea to how the 6300 will compare with other CPUs in a few years

It should be compatible, I'd email them about which revision of the board it is, if it's a R2.0 board then the BIOS version it comes with will be compatible with a Vishera chip

User feedback of the Pro3 isn't really ideal, so I wouldn't overclock with that board either :lol:

LollyHunter

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Soo I'd probably have to go extreme 3 then?