1600 vs. 2133 question

Muchobanana

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Currently i am using Corsair vengeance 8gb 1600 (1x8gb) quad channel stick with my 4770k. My question is should i replace the single 1600 stick with an 8gb dual channel kit of 2133 ram, would it be a noticeable difference for gaming. I am currently using the Asus Z87-a motherboard.

Solution
Nope. Recent benchmarks show that the difference between 1333Mhz and 2133Mhz is no more than 5% so not something you'll likely notice while sitting behind the screen.

You'd gain more performance by replacing it with 2 x 4GB modules instead. Having just 1 stick is not optimal. Or if you prefer, get a second identical stick of 8GB 1600Mhz and upgrade to 2 x 8GB (16GB total) it would make more sense.

Note: It's not a good idea to mix different brand and different speed of RAM, you could run into compatibility and stability issues. So try to use identical sticks.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Nope. Recent benchmarks show that the difference between 1333Mhz and 2133Mhz is no more than 5% so not something you'll likely notice while sitting behind the screen.

You'd gain more performance by replacing it with 2 x 4GB modules instead. Having just 1 stick is not optimal. Or if you prefer, get a second identical stick of 8GB 1600Mhz and upgrade to 2 x 8GB (16GB total) it would make more sense.

Note: It's not a good idea to mix different brand and different speed of RAM, you could run into compatibility and stability issues. So try to use identical sticks.

Solution

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
absolutely not. none...both Tom's and Anantech have done extensive tests on both Ivy and Haswell CPUs and various memory speeds from 1333 all the way up to 3000 and you won't see much gains at all past 1600. (on an Intel cpu the memory controller default is 1600 and on the cpu). in games it might be the difference between 72 fps and 73 fps. and some faster kits are slower than the 1600 kits.

Now you will have people chime in here telling you that these newer Intel cpus like the faster memory...I call BS. I currently have 2 kits...a 1600 kit at 9-9-9-24 and a 2400 kit at 10-11-11-31...and i cannot tell any difference in any real world test. I can agree with all the benchmark results that there is not a difference. i.e. save your money

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It all depends on what you do (and how you do it), for strictly gaming and email a little browsing, etc then no you won't really see much difference if going to say 2133 (maybe 1-3 FPS in the gaming, however if you really USE the computer, multi-task, video. imaging, VMs, CAD, large number of open windows and use memory centric apps or large data sets, then yes, faster DRAM is well worth it, and Haswell does like faster DRAM more so than previous gens like IB and SB....you also see gains if using the CPUs on board GPU rather than a discrete GPU - especially with AMDs APUs