8800 GTX Performance

atariman72

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I am currently building a desktop low-budget PC using an 8800 GTX, and I was wondering what the frames would be like for the following games:

-Minecraft (far render distance, fancy textures, smooth lighting)
-Fallout 3 (Maximum settings 4xAA)
-Counter Strike: Source ( Maximum settings)

My current specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz
4 GB DDR2 800
8800 GTX 768 MB 384 bit
WD 500 GB HDD
650W PSU

Any help would be much appreciated!

*Edit*
Well, thanks to everyone for responding. Sorry that I am too much of a beginner with no budget >.<

Solution
If you can find a GTX 460 or 550TI, That would be somewhat better. 8800GTX is really pushing it.

ConuterStrike Source should fine, given its age.

Fallout 3 May be a little iffy.

Minecraft can be VERY taxing. Im guessing because of OpenGL, You should be able to get "Playable" settings. If you want Far render distance, remember to install 64Bit Java (If your Windows is 64bit)
Those games should run fairly well but:
Minecraft is a heavy user of the CPU, don't expect too much from an old dual core.
Don't even go near AA with that card, those old G80 cards HATED AA.
CS is an easy game on the hardware, even using the updated Source engine you should be able to max it out graphically, but as with Minecraft, it can be hard on the processor in large maps with a lot going on.

AH88

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
My system is almost similarly specced to yours, albeit a little less. Dual Core 2.66Ghz and 8600 GTS.

I can play CS:GO at mid to low settings with 60FPS, so Source you should be able to go a lot higher on the graphics with yours..
Minecraft runs alright on mine, but struggles a bit on larger maps with massive view distances, think that's the CPU struggling mainly. Not sure on the exact FPS for that though!

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
If you can find a GTX 460 or 550TI, That would be somewhat better. 8800GTX is really pushing it.

ConuterStrike Source should fine, given its age.

Fallout 3 May be a little iffy.

Minecraft can be VERY taxing. Im guessing because of OpenGL, You should be able to get "Playable" settings. If you want Far render distance, remember to install 64Bit Java (If your Windows is 64bit)

Solution

TriBeard

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
You should be fine on pretty much everything there on mid to high (minecraft and cs:source) and maybe mid settings in fallout with no AA. It's based off of oblivion, which is rather old. Looking around online, 1440x900 with 2x AA seems perfectly doable on high, so a higher resolution and no AA should also be possible, especially with a bump down of shadows or something similar to medium if needed. Minecraft really doesn't take much to run (my old core 2 duo rig used to run it pretty well) and CS:source is an older game.

While this card is not the powerhouse that it used to be, people forget how old some of these games are, and how underpowered the consoles of last generation were compared to a lot of even "old" computer hardware. It won't be the best PC in the world, and if you have a choice of a more modern card, it may be a better idea, but it will at least get you into the world of PC gaming, and older titles and indie games won't be a problem.

atariman72

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I need all of the help I can get.