Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Opinions on my potential gaming PC build?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 23, 2014 3:13:12 PM

I'm not trying to build anything incredibly high-end, just enough to play current and upcoming games on rather decent settings, with room to upgrade a few years down the road. Also, if you notice any parts that are incompatible with each other, i really need to know. xD

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T CC-9011042-WW Black on Black with RED LED fans ATX Mid Tower Side Panel Window Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Graphics Card: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX16C10B1B/8

HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Blue - OEM

DVD Drive: SAMSUNG Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model SH-118BB

Wireless Adapter: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2

I already have monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS, etc. I just need to know that everything's compatible, and I would like if someone with experience could give a good opinion on the build.

Thanks in advance! :) 

Total price is currently $869.84 on Newegg. Just figured I would add that in.

Best solution

January 23, 2014 3:31:00 PM

It's a good build. I don't see anything incompatible. But:

- You miss an heatsink. I highly recommend you buy a better quality CPU cooler than the stock one from AMD. For around 30-40$, a Hyper 212 EVO from Coolermaster would be great.

- For the power supply, I would try to go with a better quality unit. This Rosewill Green is more adapted to everyday computing in my opinion. Pick one from either Seasonic, XFX or Corsair (except the CX or RM Series). Anything from them will perform better.

- Apart from that, I don't see other things that are wrong. If you have money left, I suggest you pick a SSD for a boot drive. This way, you will have all the space avaible on your HDD for games and programs. It will also works much quicker.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Have fun building !
Share
Related resources
January 23, 2014 3:35:22 PM

Oleonius said:
It's a good build. I don't see anything incompatible. But:

- You miss an heatsink. I highly recommend you buy a better quality CPU cooler than the stock one from AMD. For around 30-40$, a Hyper 212 EVO from Coolermaster would be great.

- For the power supply, I would try to go with a better quality unit. This Rosewill Green is more adapted to everyday computing in my opinion. Pick one from either Seasonic, XFX or Corsair (except the CX or RM Series). Anything from them will perform better.

- Apart from that, I don't see other things that are wrong. If you have money left, I suggest you pick a SSD for a boot drive. This way, you will have all the space avaible on your HDD for games and programs. It will also works much quicker.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Have fun building !


Thanks for the advice! What size SSD do you recommend? just for win 7 or 8, i have to pick between the two.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 3:39:25 PM

for ssd Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 3:54:19 PM

Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 3:58:30 PM

whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.

m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:03:08 PM

Oleonius said:
whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.



I added a CPU fan, changed the mobo and power supply, and added an SDD and it's now about $1100. I'll be saving for years, but it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think of the build as a whole? I figured it would be fine for at least 2-3 years.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:04:46 PM

kcombs97 said:
Oleonius said:
whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.



I added a CPU fan, changed the mobo and power supply, and added an SDD and it's now about $1100. I'll be saving for years, but it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think of the build as a whole? I figured it would be fine for at least 2-3 years.


i d prefer GTX 770 than ssd .
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:07:26 PM

EVGA is the best :-), and their customer service is about 10 million times better than Asus. Msi might be a good choice with an MSI gaming motherboard(there is supposed to be some extra GPU overclocking potential), but frankly, you can't go wrong with EVGA. The Step-up program is great( especially with the next series of GPU expected to be announced soon), and there is no better customer service.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:11:05 PM

whitecat said:
kcombs97 said:
Oleonius said:
whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.



I added a CPU fan, changed the mobo and power supply, and added an SDD and it's now about $1100. I'll be saving for years, but it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think of the build as a whole? I figured it would be fine for at least 2-3 years.


i d prefer GTX 770 than ssd .


If i take off the 760 and the ssd and then add a 770 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), the price is only $14 more. it's very tempting. ahh, decisions decisions.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:15:00 PM

kcombs97 said:
whitecat said:
kcombs97 said:
Oleonius said:
whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.



I added a CPU fan, changed the mobo and power supply, and added an SDD and it's now about $1100. I'll be saving for years, but it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think of the build as a whole? I figured it would be fine for at least 2-3 years.


i d prefer GTX 770 than ssd .


If i take off the 760 and the ssd and then add a 770 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), the price is only $14 more. it's very tempting. ahh, decisions decisions.


You can add ssd later but if you get GTX 760 now , no way back
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:17:35 PM

I think the 770 instead of SSD would be a good idea as well. You can watch for sales and get an ssd for cheap, my kingston v300 only cost me about 60 bucks from newegg on one of their daily deals.
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:19:49 PM

i meant : dont buy ssd now but later , now get GTX 770
m
0
l
January 23, 2014 4:24:12 PM

whitecat said:
kcombs97 said:
whitecat said:
kcombs97 said:
Oleonius said:
whitecat said:
Get MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr or Asus GTX 760


Why ? EVGA is among the best manufacturers for graphics cards (with Gigabyte and ASUS). The GTX 760 Superclocked is an excellent choice.



I added a CPU fan, changed the mobo and power supply, and added an SDD and it's now about $1100. I'll be saving for years, but it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think of the build as a whole? I figured it would be fine for at least 2-3 years.


i d prefer GTX 770 than ssd .


If i take off the 760 and the ssd and then add a 770 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), the price is only $14 more. it's very tempting. ahh, decisions decisions.


You can add ssd later but if you get GTX 760 now , no way back


jeremyp79 said:
I think the 770 instead of SSD would be a good idea as well. You can watch for sales and get an ssd for cheap, my kingston v300 only cost me about 60 bucks from newegg on one of their daily deals.


Very true! 770 it is. I think that's about all I needed. So thanks everyone!
m
0
l
!