Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I hook prewired speakers w/ usb connectors into a new receiver w/ rca inputs for speakers?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 23, 2014 4:43:56 PM

A friend has asked me to come over to his new place to hook up his new receiver to the existing surround system the previous owner left. We're talking 5 speakers, in wall wiring, fitted w/ usb connectors. I haven't seen it yet but I'm not familiar w/ that scenario. I have 3 full blown systems set up and running around my place and none of my speakers have usb fittings. My new receiver has hdmi and usb for accessories but regular rca jacks for the speakers. If he's not making this up is there some kind of conversion box for his usb fitted speakers to plug into w/ rca outlets on the other side or does Belkin make a simple usb to rca jack conversion? Thanks!
January 24, 2014 12:44:35 PM

You should get the model number of his receiver and speakers and make sure there is nothing weird about the setup. USB is not used for speakers (maybe plugs are not usb?). Most surround speakers take bare wire so if the wire itself is two conductor then you can just probably just cut the plugs off of the wire. Never heard of USB to RCA. RCA is only two conductor and USB cables have very thin wire not appropriate for speakers.

Best solution

January 24, 2014 12:54:09 PM

I'm with you... never heard of such a thing which is why I thought I'd throw it out here first just to see how far behind the times I'd gotten! :)  I have 9 sets of speakers running throughout the house/property tying back in to a Niles unit and into my Yamaha receiver tied into a large Adcom power unit... lots of speaker wire! So this usb connector thing threw me. Well, maybe I just need to go over and see it first hand ... maybe his description has started me down the wrong path and he simply doesn't know what he's looking at. Thanks for the sanity check, you answered my question... I'm not that out of touch w/ technology after all! :)