Is the AMD FX 8350 almost equal or faster than the Intel's Core i7 970 Hexa Core Processor ?

Is the AMD FX 8350 almost equal or faster than the Intel's Core i7 970 Hexa Core Processor ?
Which one is fast ?
23 answers Last reply
More about amd 8350 equal faster intel core 970 hexa core processor
  1. I'd take a new FX8350, over a used i7 970. That i7 is quick, but it's pretty old.
  2. The i7 seems to be much quicker.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=157

    Although these benchmarks are dated.
  3. AM3+ is dead
    If your going AMD get a FM2+ board.

    But personally I'd go LGA 1150, even with the lowest i3
  4. wdmfiber said:
    AM3+ is dead
    If your going AMD get a FM2+ board.

    But personally I'd go LGA 1150, even with the lowest i3


    Not officially. AM3 is dead.
  5. But according to CPUBoss they both are equal ??? I mostly referring to the Single Core Performances ????
  6. The i7 is faster on single threads for the most part. But again, you can buy a new 8350 with warranty. The i7 will be used and abused.
  7. OK so FX 8350 is fix for my build.
    Next thing, can you tell me good GFX card to play all modern games on MED. Settings and Res. 1024x768/800x600. FPS 30-40.
  8. 660ti, 670, 760 or 770 should be fine.

    Or AMD R9 chips, 270 or 290.
  9. Are you deciding between them for purchase ?
  10. Curious, why are you interested in an i7 970? Do you have a 1366 motherboard? Why don't you buy into Intel's 4th Gen CPUs?
  11. Well, I am on a tight budget. I heard from many that an HD 6670 / HD 5770 / HD 7750 / HD 7770 will max out or at least on HIGH.
    FX 8350 because it is according to me a good processor lacking some SCP. I heard the i7 970-960's are good ones and CPU boss shows their SCP almost Equal at 8.2.
  12. adity8522 said:
    Well, I am on a tight budget. I heard from many that an HD 6670 / HD 5770 / HD 7750 / HD 7770 will max out or at least on HIGH.
    FX 8350 because it is according to me a good processor lacking some SCP. I heard the i7 970-960's are good ones and CPU boss shows their SCP almost Equal at 8.2.


    Uhh, those GPUs will max out older games. Nothing new. They are entry level cards.
    What is your budget and what do you plan on doing with this build?
  13. adity8522 said:
    Well, I am on a tight budget. I heard from many that an HD 6670 / HD 5770 / HD 7750 / HD 7770 will max out or at least on HIGH.
    FX 8350 because it is according to me a good processor lacking some SCP. I heard the i7 970-960's are good ones and CPU boss shows their SCP almost Equal at 8.2.


    Get a 7770 to a 7870. Those graphic cards will run new games on med-high settings just fine.
  14. 1. I am from India.
    2. I do say true. I only want to play Railworks Train Sim : http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/ and Flight Simulator X : http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Flight-Simulator-X-Gold-Edition-PC-Game/productID.253657900
    If I really say you, I do not actually game a lot. Only a Few times a Month.
    I want 30 to 40 FPS on Med. Settings on 800 x 600 res for Rail and 1024 x 768 for Plane.
  15. The FX8350 won't bottle neck a good GPU, if that's what you are wondering.

    I would take the FX chip just for the newer chipset. USB3 support and SATA6 will add up to an overall faster experience on the FX-8350 setup.
  16. Well, I am buying the ASUS M5A78L-MLX-V2 Motherboard. Even if I add to a good Motherboard for the FX, I can certainly buy an i7 3770 with a cheap motherboard. I found a very good Indian Website that have Amazon International shippings for too cheap :
    Junglee.com
  17. The 8350 is a known bottleneck for good GPU's in crossfire, vs. a 3770K, let alone Haswell. Tom's tested it:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html
    But with a single GPU you should be fine. Although single treaded performance is very weak.
    And Tom's recommends the i5-3350p at your price point, you'd be wise to take that advice:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html

    Practically the 8350 has no warranty. Just check the comments from verified owners at newegg. The OEM fan is terrible (as is the 125 watt TDP). So you'll need an aftermarket cooler, but don't tell AMD. As that voids the warranty & they know no one uses the factory fan... so argue you do. If you ever have a problem.
  18. adity8522 said:
    Well, I am buying the ASUS M5A78L-MLX-V2 Motherboard. Even if I add to a good Motherboard for the FX, I can certainly buy an i7 3770 with a cheap motherboard. I found a very good Indian Website that have Amazon International shippings for too cheap :
    Junglee.com


    i dont think this mobo suports FX 8350
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/#support

    i d prefer
    cpu i5 4670
    mobo Asus H87 Plus , ASRock H87 Pro4
  19. You need a 990FX AM3+ board for the FX8350

    Yes, SLI or Crossfire will be bottlenecked by the CPU. But that will cost you 1200$ for two good videocards.
  20. wdmfiber said:
    The 8350 is a known bottleneck for good GPU's in crossfire, vs. a 3770K, let alone Haswell. Tom's tested it:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html
    But with a single GPU you should be fine. Although single treaded performance is very weak.
    And Tom's recommends the i5-3350p at your price point, you'd be wise to take that advice:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html

    Practically the 8350 has no warranty. Just check the comments from verified owners at newegg. The OEM fan is terrible (as is the 125 watt TDP). So you'll need an aftermarket cooler, but don't tell AMD. As that voids the warranty & they know no one uses the factory fan... so argue you do. If you ever have a problem.


    Why would you tell them anything? Just send "Chip not working" and ship it out.

    BF3 in that article runs just as good on the 8350 as the i7, and BF4 is the same. For games that take advantage of the cores, the 8350 is a good value.
  21. As I had told you all before that this system is not for gaming and only for two of them : RW3 & FSX. @ Med. @ 1024x768 or 800x600.
    Now, Coming to the everyday works, I'd say that I would be doing mails, surf internet, you tube, lots of productivity work, photoshop, cad, VB Programming and C++ and Java.
    I know that FX's SCP is low then which processor would you recommend. My Max. budget is Rs.30,000 INR ($US.480).
    GFX card : HD 7750 : http://www.junglee.com/MSI-Radeon-Express-Graphics-R7750-PMD2GD3/dp/B009SPJ8FG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1390635735&sr=8-6&keywords=HD+7750
    RAM : 4GB DDR3 : http://www.flipkart.com/evm-ddr3-4-gb-pc-ram-evmt4g1333u86d-evmt4g1333u88d/p/itmdrgyztegefgws?pid=RAMD9ZDJXAR5JCEP&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=4gb+ddr3+ram&ref=db47dede-e4a0-4c72-a76c-81cd7ec5fcba
    Power Supply : http://www.ebay.in/itm/Frontech-Power-Supply-24-Pin-450W-ATX-12V-SMPS-with-1yr-Warranty-/111245324211?pt=IN_Computer_Components&hash=item19e6bcefb3
    I guess about 250W Real is enough for the System. the above PSU outputs about 22AMP on 12V Rail.
    Calculating al this and Sub. from 30000, I have about 21000 left for Processor Motherboard and Solid State Drive ***.
    I definitely want a good SSD for a Faster System. Please recommend three of the above.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Processors Intel i7 AMD Systems Intel