Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

750W PSU or can I get 550W?

Tags:
  • Corsair
  • XFX
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Seasonic
Last response: in Components
Share
January 25, 2014 4:33:33 AM

Hey guys. I was thinking about getting Corsair RM 750 for my R9 280x Toxic. I've read on few forums, including this one, that I probably won't need 750W PSU for a single r9 280x toxic.
So do you think I should go for 550W or at least 650W PSU?

I was thinking about getting another Toxic later in future, if I take 750W PSU, but 750W probably won't be enough for crossfire Toxic, what do you think?

More about : 750w psu 550w

January 25, 2014 4:37:41 AM

750 should be enough to do both cards for your future upgrade.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 5:04:42 AM

For now, it'll be just 1 card. So 550W should probably be enough.
But it will run r9 280x toxic, i5 4670k (overclocked) and msi z86-G43, so...wil 550W0 be enough??
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 101 ) Power supply
January 25, 2014 5:05:29 AM

You haven't listed your CPU, I'll assume a 125W model like the FX-8350.

CPU = 125W
R9 280X = 250W
Allow 40W for other components
Total = 415W with one card or 665W with two.
Most of this is on the +12V rail and you don't want to exceed 80% of the rated power.
415 / 0.8 = 519W on the +12V rail with one card
665 / 0.8 = 832W on the +12V rail with two cards

From this, you need a good quality 550W power supply as a minimum if you stick with one card.
This is perfect if you actually have a lower TDP CPU (most Intel CPUs)
If you do have a 125W CPU, consider a 650W supply.

XFX Pro 550 has 528W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus bronze rated supply
XFX Pro 650 has 636W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same
Seasonic G 550 has 540W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus gold rated supply
Seasonic G 650 has 648W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same

Cheaper supplies will have lower ratings on the +12V rail, lower efficiency and won't last as long.
Tier 1 or 2 in this list should be good:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

To go with two of these cards and a 125W CPU, an 850W supply would be cutting it fine.
850W is probably reasonable if you have a lower rated CPU.
With the 125W CPU, you would probably want to go a little higher.

Edit:
You've listed the core i5 4670k, which has a TDP of 84W.
This means minimum 468W on the +12V rail with one card (good quality 550W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 550 or Seasonic G 550), or 780W on the +12V rail with two cards (good quality 850W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 850 or Seasonic G 850).
Share
January 25, 2014 5:24:19 AM

VincentP said:
You haven't listed your CPU, I'll assume a 125W model like the FX-8350.

CPU = 125W
R9 280X = 250W
Allow 40W for other components
Total = 415W with one card or 665W with two.
Most of this is on the +12V rail and you don't want to exceed 80% of the rated power.
415 / 0.8 = 519W on the +12V rail with one card
665 / 0.8 = 832W on the +12V rail with two cards

From this, you need a good quality 550W power supply as a minimum if you stick with one card.
This is perfect if you actually have a lower TDP CPU (most Intel CPUs)
If you do have a 125W CPU, consider a 650W supply.

XFX Pro 550 has 528W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus bronze rated supply
XFX Pro 650 has 636W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same
Seasonic G 550 has 540W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus gold rated supply
Seasonic G 650 has 648W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same

Cheaper supplies will have lower ratings on the +12V rail, lower efficiency and won't last as long.
Tier 1 or 2 in this list should be good:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

To go with two of these cards and a 125W CPU, an 850W supply would be cutting it fine.
850W is probably reasonable if you have a lower rated CPU.
With the 125W CPU, you would probably want to go a little higher.

Edit:
You've listed the core i5 4670k, which has a TDP of 84W.
This means minimum 468W on the +12V rail with one card (good quality 550W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 550 or Seasonic G 550), or 780W on the +12V rail with two cards (good quality 850W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 850 or Seasonic G 850).



Wow. Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I was thinking about getting Corsair RM 550 Gold certificate (instead of RM750) http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90528122/co...
(90€)

but you listed XFX Core edition PRO 550 Bronze Certificate http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90425683/xf...
which is basically 40€ cheaper
(50€)

so, isn't that Corsair's one better?
If there's no real difference, I'll get XFX, because it's MUCH cheaper

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2014 5:26:33 AM

Seasonic G 550w or Rosewill Capstone 550w
m
0
l
a c 101 ) Power supply
January 25, 2014 5:43:29 AM

Wort said:
VincentP said:
You haven't listed your CPU, I'll assume a 125W model like the FX-8350.

CPU = 125W
R9 280X = 250W
Allow 40W for other components
Total = 415W with one card or 665W with two.
Most of this is on the +12V rail and you don't want to exceed 80% of the rated power.
415 / 0.8 = 519W on the +12V rail with one card
665 / 0.8 = 832W on the +12V rail with two cards

From this, you need a good quality 550W power supply as a minimum if you stick with one card.
This is perfect if you actually have a lower TDP CPU (most Intel CPUs)
If you do have a 125W CPU, consider a 650W supply.

XFX Pro 550 has 528W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus bronze rated supply
XFX Pro 650 has 636W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same
Seasonic G 550 has 540W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus gold rated supply
Seasonic G 650 has 648W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same

Cheaper supplies will have lower ratings on the +12V rail, lower efficiency and won't last as long.
Tier 1 or 2 in this list should be good:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

To go with two of these cards and a 125W CPU, an 850W supply would be cutting it fine.
850W is probably reasonable if you have a lower rated CPU.
With the 125W CPU, you would probably want to go a little higher.

Edit:
You've listed the core i5 4670k, which has a TDP of 84W.
This means minimum 468W on the +12V rail with one card (good quality 550W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 550 or Seasonic G 550), or 780W on the +12V rail with two cards (good quality 850W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 850 or Seasonic G 850).



Wow. Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I was thinking about getting Corsair RM 550 Gold certificate (instead of RM750) http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90528122/co...
(90€)

but you listed XFX Core edition PRO 550 Bronze Certificate http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90425683/xf...
which is basically 40€ cheaper
(50€)

so, isn't that Corsair's one better?
If there's no real difference, I'll get XFX, because it's MUCH cheaper



Corsair RM series are not the quality you should expect from such an expensive supply.
Corsair HX series are very good, but also expensive.
The XFX is a really good supply, go with that.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 5:52:05 AM

VincentP said:
Wort said:
VincentP said:
You haven't listed your CPU, I'll assume a 125W model like the FX-8350.

CPU = 125W
R9 280X = 250W
Allow 40W for other components
Total = 415W with one card or 665W with two.
Most of this is on the +12V rail and you don't want to exceed 80% of the rated power.
415 / 0.8 = 519W on the +12V rail with one card
665 / 0.8 = 832W on the +12V rail with two cards

From this, you need a good quality 550W power supply as a minimum if you stick with one card.
This is perfect if you actually have a lower TDP CPU (most Intel CPUs)
If you do have a 125W CPU, consider a 650W supply.

XFX Pro 550 has 528W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus bronze rated supply
XFX Pro 650 has 636W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same
Seasonic G 550 has 540W rating on the +12V rail, very good quality 80 plus gold rated supply
Seasonic G 650 has 648W rating on the +12V rail, otherwise the same

Cheaper supplies will have lower ratings on the +12V rail, lower efficiency and won't last as long.
Tier 1 or 2 in this list should be good:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

To go with two of these cards and a 125W CPU, an 850W supply would be cutting it fine.
850W is probably reasonable if you have a lower rated CPU.
With the 125W CPU, you would probably want to go a little higher.

Edit:
You've listed the core i5 4670k, which has a TDP of 84W.
This means minimum 468W on the +12V rail with one card (good quality 550W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 550 or Seasonic G 550), or 780W on the +12V rail with two cards (good quality 850W power supply, e.g. XFX Pro 850 or Seasonic G 850).



Wow. Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I was thinking about getting Corsair RM 550 Gold certificate (instead of RM750) http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90528122/co...
(90€)

but you listed XFX Core edition PRO 550 Bronze Certificate http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90425683/xf...
which is basically 40€ cheaper
(50€)

so, isn't that Corsair's one better?
If there's no real difference, I'll get XFX, because it's MUCH cheaper



Corsair RM series are not the quality you should expect from such an expensive supply.
Corsair HX series are very good, but also expensive.
The XFX is a really good supply, go with that.


I've heard few times that RM series aren't as good as they should be.

One thing that bugs me with XFX supply is that it doesn't have a modular design. So lots of those unused cables will take plenty of space
m
0
l
a c 101 ) Power supply
January 25, 2014 6:09:46 AM

Most cases have somewhere you can stash the extra cables.
You need ATX, PCI-E, sata and molex anyway, you end up with most of the modular cables connected on a modular supply.
These are modular:
Seasonic X 560
Antec HCG 620M
Corsair HX 650
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 6:23:02 AM

VincentP said:
Most cases have somewhere you can stash the extra cables.
You need ATX, PCI-E, sata and molex anyway, you end up with most of the modular cables connected on a modular supply.
These are modular:
Seasonic X 560
Antec HCG 620M
Corsair HX 650


I think I'll stick with that XFX, since all modular PSUs cost a lot more. (HX 650, for example, 50€ more)
If I find a case that can fit some unused cables (was thinking about CM Enforcerer or HAF 912), I should be fine.
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 9:04:18 AM

Guys, would you recommend XFX ProSeries XXX or XFX Core Edition??
m
0
l
a c 2487 ) Power supply
January 26, 2014 9:38:50 AM

XFX ProSeries
m
0
l
a c 101 ) Power supply
January 26, 2014 2:57:09 PM

Wort said:
Guys, would you recommend XFX ProSeries XXX or XFX Core Edition??


Both are very good.
Core series is cheaper.
Power supplies I mentioned before like the XFX Pro 550 and XFX Pro 650 are core series.
XXX series has modular cables.
m
0
l
!