1155 cpu with 1155 socket MOBO

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Hi I'm building a pc for someone to sell. I ordered a Pentium 2 core CPU G2030 LGA1155 & AND th67b BIOSTAR mobo I connected of the wires and installed the cpu and mounted the heatsink with some ICDiamond thermal paste took a 8gb ddr3 CARD FROM THE PC I'm using now and placed it in the biostar. I, Then, went to fire the biostar up it comes on fans spin momo light glows and then shuts off Any suggestions?

PS. there is no display when it fires up either.

ps.s. it repeats this on off on off with no beeps

Ok thanks for the quick reply guys how do I do this to the computer without it operating I'm new to building a system I've upgraded them but never built one. So How do I upgrade bios and so and so...?

Also I'm planning to use windows 8 if possible and all that is supported on bio's page is up to vista?

Solution
The BIOS may or may not already be updated from the factory to support your CPU. Did you perform all the steps in the checklist yet? There isn't an easy way to upgrade the BIOS if the CPU isn't supported. You have to install an older Sandy Bridge CPU, update the BIOS, then put your new CPU in. I would go through the checklist fully before assuming the BIOS is out of date. There are many causes for the problems you describe. An unsupported BIOS version is only one of the causes.

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
to upgrade the bios to Ivy bridge you must have a sandy bridge cpu then update bios and drivers then switch to the ivy bridge cpu. Some boards have the ability to update bios using USB without having the proper CPU but that board is not one of them.

The BIOS may or may not already be updated from the factory to support your CPU. Did you perform all the steps in the checklist yet? There isn't an easy way to upgrade the BIOS if the CPU isn't supported. You have to install an older Sandy Bridge CPU, update the BIOS, then put your new CPU in. I would go through the checklist fully before assuming the BIOS is out of date. There are many causes for the problems you describe. An unsupported BIOS version is only one of the causes.

Solution

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Are you saying that the system reaches the bios page?

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I automatically assumed he covered the basics as he came back and edited his post and also it says he was building it to sell which makes me think that this isn't his first rodeo, but I do agree with you that this could be a plethora of issues, I was trying to hit a topic that you hadnt already covered in your post

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Just Realized that was your right up...Very Impressive... I'm sure I will link a couple of people to it! I've also been very impressed at how active the moderators are on this site.

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
If the bios is the issue then this cpu should have the same problem as the other. If it is another issue and the system boots with your cpu then it will help to pin-point the issue but pulling coolers and swapping cpu seems like a pain in the arse to me.

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

mayb the cpu isn't supported it says 1155 but it also says the board is for i3 i5 i7 installed cpu is a pentium dual core

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Ok check this out I have an old system speaker from the old mobo to the case i'm using. plus I have 50 or so open 2-pin power wires can soldering pen can I make a system speak to hear the beeps for the mobo?

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
If it is the little speaker with 4pin connector you should be able to plug it right into the board somewhere near the USB header on most boards

On your board I think its the 4 light blue pins in a row next to the yellow pins

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Ok I switched them out the pentium dual processor worked well in my gigabyte motherboard thou when I put the i7-3770k cpu in the biostar mobo same problem leds light up fans spin on off on off I think IT IS outdated bios "sigh" I have no way access to a sandy bridge...

I bought the mobo on ebay hence that they must be outdated

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Maybe you could take it to a local PC shop and talk them into doing it for you. Otherwise you could spend about 70 on cheapest sandy bridge cpu to do flash yourself then build a HTCP or something around the Sandy. Maybe you live near someone on toms hardware that has a SB laying around for this reason or return the board and go for something different.

Dont forget it could be a board that was DOA, You could try a different RAM stick. Try the Ram in a different slot. Try on board graphics instead of GPU

YoungKaos

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

i've had it in the vga port the entire time. UPDATE: I hooked up a internal speaker with the two-pin open plugs and a soldering gun (I surprise myself sometimes) and theres 4 beeps then it shuts off.

OllieOxenFree

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Can you be more specific as to the beeps: is it 4 short beeps or 1 long 3 short...etc...
try this out I just found it on Biostar webpage:

Computer makes one or several beeps and Shuts-Off automatically
To resolve this issue:

1. Check if the CPU fan is connected to the JCFAN1 connector.

2. The CPU might be overheating. Change the CPU FAN or check if the CPU fan has proper contact with the CPU. (Please refer to your manual for more information on CPU installation)

3. Clear CMOS battery (JCMOS1), be sure to set JCMOS1 back to 1-2 position. (see Quick start guide/ user manual for more info on how to clear the CMOS)

4. Make sure the power supply you have on your system supports the M/B specification. Example. If you have a P4 M/B, you need to use an ATX v2.03 specification power supply. (power supply that have an extra 4-pin square connector)