Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ubuntu desktop server/media center for home

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 25, 2014 3:56:43 PM

I would like to build a desktop media center / server for home.
I will be using this to host some open source coding I am doing. I will be setting up redmine, svn, ubuntu 13, openvpn, apache.

I would also like to use it as a media center.
I would like to have a raid setup. mirrored. Any reason not to do this? I see a lot of solid state drives now. is that a better way to go for the os?

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: 1000 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Media, apache webserver for small programming project

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No, ubuntu 13

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon or newegg

Location: Florida, Boca

Parts Preferences: AMD processor, WD disk drives, Kingston memory
Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: ?? not sure what this is even.

no monitor

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC.

I could buy something from zareason for around 1000. That is my bugdet.
Do any of you experts have a recommendation?
January 25, 2014 4:49:33 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($154.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.49 @ Staples)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $905.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 19:49 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 7:14:19 PM

do i need a cpu cooler?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 25, 2014 7:18:53 PM

Are you really set with AMD. I just built an Awesome home media server using a Xeon E3 processor and WD Red drives. Let me know and I'll give you my specs.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 7:39:25 PM

vertexx said:
Are you really set with AMD. I just built an Awesome home media server using a Xeon E3 processor and WD Red drives. Let me know and I'll give you my specs.


no i really just want something that works with ubuntu out of the box. no messing around. if that is what yours does then send it over and I will copy you. Thanks!

m
0
l
January 25, 2014 7:52:45 PM

Here is my build for my home media server. Also, you didn't mention gaming above, so this is NOT a gaming machine, but it IS awesome what you can do with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 250GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25B Mini ITX Tower Case ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $958.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 22:38 EST-0500)

Notes on this build:

1. Xeon E3-1245 V2, Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 CPU. It's the lowest cost 8 thread intel CPU you can buy. I wanted 8 threads so I can run multiple virtual machines (see below). It's only 55 Watts, and it does have built in HD graphics.
2. This ASRock motherboard supports the Xeon CPU. It is a consumer board, vs server board, but for your purposes, you don't need a server board. I've left the single expansion slot open for either an add-on GPU down the road or a RAID card. This board has one SATA 6.0Gb/S and 3 SATA 3.0GB/S ports, perfect for having a fast OS drive and up to 3 additional disks in RAID.
3. Memory - 2 sticks 16GB DDR31600 9 CAS RAM - cheapest with these specs currently available. I wanted 16GB so I have plenty for the VMs.
4. Storage - Assuming you're going to run 24x7 and running Ubuntu, the 2.5 HDD is fine for OS. You can upgrade to a 120GB SSD and still be in budget.
5. RAID Storage - Recommend WD Reds for NAS storage. 3TB disks are still the lowest price/GB. Recommend starting these in RAID1 for redundancy. You can add a 3rd if you want and go RAID 5.
6. PSU - Seasonic Gold 360W PSU. Because you're going with the Xeon, this 360W is more than adequate. It is high quality, with 5 year warranty, and Gold rated efficiency for 24x7 use.
7. Case - and this is really the star of this build. This Lian-Li PC-Q25 is simply awesome for a desktop box. It has pop-off side-covers (not even thumbscrews), an easily accessible hot-swap drive bay, very quiet fans, and a top notch build that is unbeatable. I have this case sitting in my bookshelf behind my desk in my office, and it really looks good.
Note that the case does NOT have an optical storage bay. If you really want that, then the Lian-Li PC-Q18 is the same case but with an Optical Drive and one less hot-swap drive bay. (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pcq18b)

Here's what I do with this build:

1. Run a Plex media server with all home movies, pcitures, etc. It also doubles as a NAS for the home.
2. Run multiple virtual machines using KVM to do the rest.
3. Host personal website
4. Run 2 Minecraft servers for my kids
5. Run Litecoin mining on an extra GPU I have plugged into the PC.
6. General Java development use with the ability to spin up and down VMs.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:09:34 PM

vertexx said:
Here is my build for my home media server. Also, you didn't mention gaming above, so this is NOT a gaming machine, but it IS awesome what you can do with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 250GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25B Mini ITX Tower Case ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $958.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 22:38 EST-0500)

Notes on this build:

1. Xeon E3-1245 V2, Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 CPU. It's the lowest cost 8 thread intel CPU you can buy. I wanted 8 threads so I can run multiple virtual machines (see below). It's only 55 Watts, and it does have built in HD graphics.
2. This ASRock motherboard supports the Xeon CPU. It is a consumer board, vs server board, but for your purposes, you don't need a server board. I've left the single expansion slot open for either an add-on GPU down the road or a RAID card. This board has one SATA 6.0Gb/S and 3 SATA 3.0GB/S ports, perfect for having a fast OS drive and up to 3 additional disks in RAID.
3. Memory - 2 sticks 16GB DDR31600 9 CAS RAM - cheapest with these specs currently available. I wanted 16GB so I have plenty for the VMs.
4. Storage - Assuming you're going to run 24x7 and running Ubuntu, the 2.5 HDD is fine for OS. You can upgrade to a 120GB SSD and still be in budget.
5. RAID Storage - Recommend WD Reds for NAS storage. 3TB disks are still the lowest price/GB. Recommend starting these in RAID1 for redundancy. You can add a 3rd if you want and go RAID 5.
6. PSU - Seasonic Gold 360W PSU. Because you're going with the Xeon, this 360W is more than adequate. It is high quality, with 5 year warranty, and Gold rated efficiency for 24x7 use.
7. Case - and this is really the star of this build. This Lian-Li PC-Q25 is simply awesome for a desktop box. It has pop-off side-covers (not even thumbscrews), an easily accessible hot-swap drive bay, very quiet fans, and a top notch build that is unbeatable. I have this case sitting in my bookshelf behind my desk in my office, and it really looks good.
Note that the case does NOT have an optical storage bay. If you really want that, then the Lian-Li PC-Q18 is the same case but with an Optical Drive and one less hot-swap drive bay. (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pcq18b)

Here's what I do with this build:

1. Run a Plex media server with all home movies, pcitures, etc. It also doubles as a NAS for the home.
2. Run multiple virtual machines using KVM to do the rest.
3. Host personal website
4. Run 2 Minecraft servers for my kids
5. Run Litecoin mining on an extra GPU I have plugged into the PC.
6. General Java development use with the ability to spin up and down VMs.


Thank you very much.
So this mother board has an hdmi output? (it has been a while since i built a pc)
Also is there anything special i need to do to setup raid? or does that come with?
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:12:23 PM

One mistake I made was with the TDP for the Xeon. It's actually 77W with the IGP. In my build, I actually used the E3-1230v2, which is lower wattage (and lower cost), but it doesn't have integrated graphics. So, I just bought a used workstation graphics card off ebay for like $10. I usually run this machine headless, so I just needed a graphics card to allow the consumer motherboard to boot.

Since you'll be using this as a desktop, I recommended the Xeon E3-1245v2. Any of the Xeon parts that end with a '5' have the integrated graphics. Even at 77W, this machine will still be sipping power.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 25, 2014 8:15:53 PM

guzzi_jones said:


Thank you very much.
So this mother board has an hdmi output? (it has been a while since i built a pc)
Also is there anything special i need to do to setup raid? or does that come with?


Yes, it has hdmi output. For RAID, use Linux Software RAID - from what I was able to research, it's much better than any motherboard RAID. There are plenty of tutorials out there.
Share
January 25, 2014 8:20:59 PM

vertexx said:
guzzi_jones said:


Thank you very much.
So this mother board has an hdmi output? (it has been a while since i built a pc)
Also is there anything special i need to do to setup raid? or does that come with?


Yes, it has hdmi output. For RAID, use Linux Software RAID - from what I was able to research, it's much better than any motherboard RAID. There are plenty of tutorials out there.



great! yes i see the integrated graphics now on the cpu. No I will NOT be gaming on this. I am married so that is out of the question. :) .

I
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:22:22 PM

well, in that case, my build could save a lot of money dropping down to like a 650 or even 640. a GTX 770 on something that wont game or render is silly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($154.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 640 1GB Video Card ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $764.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 23:25 EST-0500)

2x 2tb drives, ready to RAID. the GT 640 is a basic gpu, but nvidia, whic ubuntu seems to like better.

the 8 cores here are $100 cheaper than the Xeon, byt still plenty for most use
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:23:28 PM

vertexx said:
One mistake I made was with the TDP for the Xeon. It's actually 77W with the IGP. In my build, I actually used the E3-1230v2, which is lower wattage (and lower cost), but it doesn't have integrated graphics. So, I just bought a used workstation graphics card off ebay for like $10. I usually run this machine headless, so I just needed a graphics card to allow the consumer motherboard to boot.

Since you'll be using this as a desktop, I recommended the Xeon E3-1245v2. Any of the Xeon parts that end with a '5' have the integrated graphics. Even at 77W, this machine will still be sipping power.


wow so much information here.
would you by chance be able to point me to a tutorial on setting up VM and ubuntu on this pc? Something general would be great. It sounds like you went through the wash on this and i very much appreciate all the information.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:32:02 PM

Haha - I've been married for 13 years now and with 3 boys, so gaming is definitely back in the picture for me!

Good luck with the build. Feel free to PM me if you hit any snags. I'll also be following this thread for a while.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:33:22 PM

vertexx said:
One mistake I made was with the TDP for the Xeon. It's actually 77W with the IGP. In my build, I actually used the E3-1230v2, which is lower wattage (and lower cost), but it doesn't have integrated graphics. So, I just bought a used workstation graphics card off ebay for like $10. I usually run this machine headless, so I just needed a graphics card to allow the consumer motherboard to boot.

Since you'll be using this as a desktop, I recommended the Xeon E3-1245v2. Any of the Xeon parts that end with a '5' have the integrated graphics. Even at 77W, this machine will still be sipping power.


ScrewySqrl said:
well, in that case, my build could save a lot of money dropping down to like a 650 or even 640. a GTX 770 on something that wont game or render is silly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($154.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 640 1GB Video Card ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $764.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 23:25 EST-0500)

2x 2tb drives, ready to RAID. the GT 640 is a basic gpu, but nvidia, whic ubuntu seems to like better.

the 8 cores here are $100 cheaper than the Xeon, byt still plenty for most use



wow a great suggestion! you guys are awesome. yes nvidia is best.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:37:29 PM

vertexx said:
Haha - I've been married for 13 years now and with 3 boys, so gaming is definitely back in the picture for me!

Good luck with the build. Feel free to PM me if you hit any snags. I'll also be following this thread for a while.


do i need a cpu cooler?
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:57:16 PM

No. The intel stock cooler that comes with the processor will be fine. You won't be overclocking this, so you really don't need an aftermarket cooler.

If anything, you would want an aftermarket cooler if you wanted something really quiet, but the stock intel coolers really are not noisy either. If you get it installed and want something quieter, I'd suggest this Noctua as an upgrade. It will give about the same cooling performance as the stock cooler but will be quieter. Noctua coolers (and case fans) are top notch but aren't exactly cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 9:21:36 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($154.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.49 @ Staples)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $905.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-25 19:49 EST-0500)



why on earth have a gaming card in a media server, and esp one running Linux?


m
0
l
January 26, 2014 5:38:39 AM

vertexx said:
No. The intel stock cooler that comes with the processor will be fine. You won't be overclocking this, so you really don't need an aftermarket cooler.

If anything, you would want an aftermarket cooler if you wanted something really quiet, but the stock intel coolers really are not noisy either. If you get it installed and want something quieter, I'd suggest this Noctua as an upgrade. It will give about the same cooling performance as the stock cooler but will be quieter. Noctua coolers (and case fans) are top notch but aren't exactly cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


No need for an aftermarket cooler here. I did find some tuturoials on setting up software raid. seems pretty simple. The os goes on the small drive. mount the two large drives and setup the raid. wow linux is so much easier than before. I also found a tutorial on vm. i may use that to install a windows partition for my wife. we will see if i want to fork out for that license.

Basically this is going to be our dvd player, netfflix player, hulu player. So I switched to the case with the dvd drive and added a samsung dvd player for $18. the price actually went down after that. haha.

Again thanks a lot. I will let you know how the build goes, but it sounds like you did most of the work for me. Send me your litecoin address and when this is all done i will give you some coin. I am excited about litecoin as well. I have think it has better staying power than bitcoin due to it's scrypt memory intense mining. Hopefully that keeps the asics out.

As a side note how is the mining working out? making anything or just a hobby at this point?

m
0
l
January 26, 2014 8:36:23 AM

vertexx said:
Haha - I've been married for 13 years now and with 3 boys, so gaming is definitely back in the picture for me!

Good luck with the build. Feel free to PM me if you hit any snags. I'll also be following this thread for a while.


Here is what i ended up ordering. i saw some bad reviews on the 3TB WD RED drives so I opted for the 2 TB. It appears there are only downloads amd processors for ubuntu 13. Do you have 12.04 installed? That is what i want to go with anyway as it is stable and my software runs on it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 250GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q18B (Black) HTPC Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($20.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $928.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-26 11:34 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 4:13:29 PM

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 server on the server, and the latest 13. something on an Intel laptop.

There isn't a specific version for amd vs Intel. It's just 32 vs 64 bit versions. I get what you say about the WD Reds. I saw the same reviews but my drives all worked out fine.

I'll post a couple links that I used for reference when I'm at work tomorrow, but mostly Google was my best friend throught the install and config.
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 2:31:35 PM

Here is the site I used as my main guide:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/default.htm

This guy set up a really nice tutorial showing most of what I wanted to accomplish. I did differ on a few things, but for the most part, this is what I did. Keep in mind that I run my server headless, so some of this is aimed at allowing remote access and server management. Even if you don't run it headless, you may find it convenient to setup some or all of this.

1. Install Ubuntu Server (this will be different for you as you'll want to install the standard Ubuntu desktop). In hindsight, I should have probably just installed the Desktop, as it really is the same underlying OS with just the Desktop on top. If I had an Atom based server, not having the Desktop makes sense, but there really is very little overhead with the Xeon.

2. Under his section "Configure the Server" I followed the following:
- Install Putty (to allow remote terminal access)
- Install VNC (you may want to install VNC to allow full remote access, but you won't need to follow the "Install a Virtual Desktop" section if you install Ubuntu desktop from the beginning.
- Install Webmin
- Under Create Users and Shares, I installed Samba, but I didn't bother with specific users. I allow everyone on the Windows Home Network to access the Samba share.
- Install NFS
- Install KVM

Some of this may not be applicable to what you want. Give this a read to see if you think it will help you out.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 7:36:55 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 250GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q18B (Black) HTPC Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($20.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $938.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 22:34 EST-0500)

vertex if you get this i would like a suggestion.
The power supply here clearly doesn't fit the case. Could you or someone else reccomend one that would work for me.
Other than that everything went together smooth as silk. I love the that the two side panels pop off. PLENTY of space for more HDs as well. The case is stylish too.
Thanks again for all the help!

m
0
l
February 6, 2014 8:01:04 PM

guzzi_jones said:

vertex if you get this i would like a suggestion.
The power supply here clearly doesn't fit the case. Could you or someone else reccomend one that would work for me.
Other than that everything went together smooth as silk. I love the that the two side panels pop off. PLENTY of space for more HDs as well. The case is stylish too.
Thanks again for all the help!


Oh man, I'm really sorry about that.... that's the wrong PSU. Crap.

This is the one I have: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr3...

I really hope Newegg takes care of you on the switch. Again, I'm sorry about the slip-up.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 8:21:18 PM

vertexx said:
guzzi_jones said:

vertex if you get this i would like a suggestion.
The power supply here clearly doesn't fit the case. Could you or someone else reccomend one that would work for me.
Other than that everything went together smooth as silk. I love the that the two side panels pop off. PLENTY of space for more HDs as well. The case is stylish too.
Thanks again for all the help!


Oh man, I'm really sorry about that.... that's the wrong PSU. Crap.

This is the one I have: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr3...

I really hope Newegg takes care of you on the switch. Again, I'm sorry about the slip-up.


no worries. what would building a pc be without a few hiccups. i can't wait to boot her up.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 8:28:58 PM

guzzi_jones said:

no worries. what would building a pc be without a few hiccups. i can't wait to boot her up.


Isn't that the truth...

I keep the Newegg number handy because they make it tough to get to it on their website. Try to give them a call. On the website, they might try to sock you with a re-stocking fee, but I have had luck calling them. When I had a bad PSU, they paid for return shipping and everything. But they may not do that for a good PSU that was just an error in ordering. Either way, it's probably worth giving them a call to see what you can work out.

Phone Hours of Operation: (PST)

Monday - Friday: 5:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Weekend: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Toll Free:
(800) 390-1119

I'm glad you like the case - it's a great case to build in and keep going back into to tinker. Good luck with the PSU.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 4:45:31 PM

vertexx said:
guzzi_jones said:

no worries. what would building a pc be without a few hiccups. i can't wait to boot her up.


Isn't that the truth...

I keep the Newegg number handy because they make it tough to get to it on their website. Try to give them a call. On the website, they might try to sock you with a re-stocking fee, but I have had luck calling them. When I had a bad PSU, they paid for return shipping and everything. But they may not do that for a good PSU that was just an error in ordering. Either way, it's probably worth giving them a call to see what you can work out.

Phone Hours of Operation: (PST)

Monday - Friday: 5:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Weekend: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Toll Free:
(800) 390-1119

I'm glad you like the case - it's a great case to build in and keep going back into to tinker. Good luck with the PSU.


vertexx,
got the new power supply and everything went together smoothly. I haven't installed the additional 2 TB drives yet though. I booted up ubuntu in about 10 mins. The integrated graphics are great for watching hulu/netflix. The sound is also great from the integrated sound card. The hdmi port gives a great picture.
i ran the temperature tests and a few benchmarks with phoronix test suite. The temps only got to about 50 at most. Solid machine. Shoot me a public litecoin addy. I will send you a tip. Thanks for all the help.
m
0
l
!