FX-8320 Temperatures Overclock options = perplexed

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello all.

I have been doing a lot of reading and finally decided to ask you guys for your opinions/thoughts/experiences on CPU cooling/overclocking etc.

My current setup is as follows.
MSI 970A-G45
AMD FX8320@3.7GHZ (I'm not running it on Turbo, I'm just manually overclocking)
XFX HD7850
GSKILL 8GB@1866
OCZ VERTEX4 256GB
WD BLUE 500GB
ULTRA LSP 650W
WIN 8.1

As you can see. I've got my 8320 on a mild overclock. I am currently running the stock CPU cooler that it came with. My idle temps, believe it or not are around 23-25C @ 3.7ghz.

I decided to download and run OCCT and put my CPU under load in order to get an idea of what my max temperatures are.

I started up OCCT. I left everything default and started the test so that it would run for one hour.

Once started, my CPU temp gradually rose to 54C and stayed there for a few minutes. I decided to go ahead and walk away from my PC and just let it run.
After about 5 minutes, I returned only to be SHOCKED that HWmonitor was reporting the CPU temp at 206C. Yes, 206 Celcius. HOLY CRAP! needless to say I was on the verge of a heart attack. I immediately shut down OCCT. I restarted HWmonitor and it still showed 206C. So I shut down the PC right then.

I took off the side of my case and to my surprise, the heatsink on the CPU did not feel like 206C or any where even near that. Did it amazingly cool down to normal temps in the time that it took my PC to shutdown??
I proceeded to go ahead and boot the PC up and go into the BIOS. Once in the bios, it was telling me the CPU temp was 30C @ 3.7ghz.

I then went ahead and exited the BIOS and booted Windows 8.1 on up. Much to my surprise, my CPU decided to clock itself down to 1.7GHZ and a temperature of 13C, even though the BIOS said it was running at 3.7.
I checked Power Options and noticed Minimum CPU power state had reverted back to 5%. I went ahead and increased it back to 100%. However, this made no difference. The CPU was still running at 1.7GHZ no matter what I tried.

At this point I completely shut down the PC. I left it off for a few minutes, booted it back up and "magically", the CPU is now running at it's normal 3.7GHZ.

So what the heck happened? Did my CPU actually reach 206C? Should I be concerned? At this point I'm a little reluctant to re-run OCCT,

Thoughts? Concerns? Words of Wisdom? All are welcome!

Thanks,
Mike

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
If your CPU had actually reached 206C, it probably would have melted. AMD's CPUs are known to have the internal core temp sensor be way off. For example, my ambient temps are ~20C, and right now it says that my core temp is ~12C, which is impossible by pretty much every thermodynamic law. As for the speed changing, is your AMD cool and quiet turned on? If it is then that's what will cause the CPU to clock down when it doesn't need all the speed.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
AMD Cool and Quiet was disabled. I had it disabled a long time ago.

One more thing that is a little "weird". Since this happened and everything seems to be back to "normal", my CPU idle temp is almost 10 Degrees Celsius higher than it initially was before this whole fiasco. It's idling at 31C @ 3.7GHZ. Stock cooler. I'm still a little concerned.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I agree this is not a real good board for overclocking. However, I don't plan to overclock to the extreme and currently, just running my mild OC shouldn't be an issue.

NOTE: Isn't it nice how they add the marketing/selling point of "OC Genie: Easy Overclocking Technology"

I had planned to upgrade my MOBO to a 990FX version in the near future and add a liquid cooler.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
OK I think there is something wrong here.
I took off the mild overclock, so the CPU is running default at 3500MHZ or 1400MHZ when on power save.
I ran OCCT again to test and see what my MAX CPU Temps would be. I was monitoring my temps with HWMonitor and also using CPUID to watch the clock speeds.
OCCT took the CPU up to 3500MHZ. Occasionally it would jump to 3700, but mostly it stayed at 3500MHZ.
The temperature slowly crept up to 54C after about 3 minutes or so. I watched for about 2 more minutes, then BAM! HWMonitor showed the CPU temp at 206C and the CPU immediately throttled itself down to 1400MHZ and is now stuck there.

I have the side of my case off and was careful about static electricity and touched the area around the CPU heatsink. There is NO WAY it is 206C

Wat the heck is going on? Faulty processor?
206temp.jpg

I'm thinking this could possibly be a faulty temp sensor on my motherboard, or does the CPU have a built-in sensor? Either way, the CPU is seeing it as a false positive and throttling down.

HWS

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I have the G45 and before I bought my 8350 I was reading to see if there was anything that goes weird with the 2 together and while reading I came upon people saying that with the G45 and G46 the FX series processors go full retard and temp sensors become inaccurate when under load for longer than a few minutes and your CPU isn't really at that temp but it still isn't good to see it. I am looking into getting the ASUS Crosshair V.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
HWS - Agreed. I too have been searching around and it seems as soon as you put the FX 8320 or 8350 on this board or the G46, the temp sensor goes crazy.
Like I said, false positive.

That aside, I have ordered an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 to replace my MSI board with and also have a 240MM water cooling unit ordered as well.

I think I am going to step it up a bit more into the overclock world which I never really have done.

At least I will have a spare motherboard for my Son's rig.

HWS

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

I've never owned an ASUS motherboard but every review I watch the person is always talking about how good they are especially the RoG ones. I really want a RoG one and they only make one for AMD. AMD always gets the shit end for motherboards :(

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Yes, Asus boards seem to be quality. Even their lower end boards. I have an Asus running in my Wife's PC and haven't had any issues at all. I've mainly used MSI and never had any issue, but then again, I've never really overclocked a bunch or tried to run load tests on my processor.

Hopefully my new Mobo and water cooling I ordered will change that.