Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help with fixing "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" screen

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 25, 2014 8:34:08 PM

Hey guys I was playing my PC and rebooted. When it turned back on I got a screen saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" . When I look in the bios, my hard drive is recognized. I tried loading a profile in my bios of last successful boot, with no success. What do I need to do to fix this? What is wrong with my PC? It was working fine and im this just happened out if the blue. A quick reply would be great!
Thanks guys!
a b G Storage
January 25, 2014 8:35:08 PM

sounds like HDD failure? can you not get into bios at all?
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 8:38:32 PM

I just got the drive a few weeks ago. I can get into the bios. I can post a picture of it showing my hard drive and DVD drive are detected if you want. Thanks for the quick reply
m
0
l
Related resources
January 26, 2014 9:02:28 AM

Hey guys. I did chkdsk C: while using the win8 install disc to boot, and it said there were no errors. However, I installed my old drive back in and it booted correctly. My drive that I suspect failed was made by cloning the drive I am using now. Could it possibly just be file corruption, I mean if chkdsk found no errors?
Another quick reply would be great!
thanks guys :) 
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 9:08:24 AM

Beezy said:
sounds like HDD failure? can you not get into bios at all?


I can get into the bios and it DOES recognize the hard drive. chkdsk C: while in win8 install disk scanned the disk successfully and said there were no errors.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 26, 2014 10:15:24 AM

i think it has to do with proper partitioning for booting, that i cant say was replicated from the source HDD to the one thats giving you problems. I think an HDD has to be formatted and partitioned properly to work, and thats part of what happens in the windows installation. so depending on the software and method you used to copy...its probably the reason. just do a fresh install of windows on that new HDD.
to do this you will have to
1) go into BIOS
2)look for boot option
3)find something like boot priority and change the order so the CD/DVD drive is the first in the list
this will be the first device that the computer tries to boot from, while the next on the list goes to follow.
so if windows a windows install disc is in and that is 1st priority in the boot order it will boot that. if the dvd drive is empty, it will skip to number 2 which should be the HDD you want to boot from
Share
January 26, 2014 11:06:30 AM

Beezy said:
i think it has to do with proper partitioning for booting, that i cant say was replicated from the source HDD to the one thats giving you problems. I think an HDD has to be formatted and partitioned properly to work, and thats part of what happens in the windows installation. so depending on the software and method you used to copy...its probably the reason. just do a fresh install of windows on that new HDD.
to do this you will have to
1) go into BIOS
2)look for boot option
3)find something like boot priority and change the order so the CD/DVD drive is the first in the list
this will be the first device that the computer tries to boot from, while the next on the list goes to follow.
so if windows a windows install disc is in and that is 1st priority in the boot order it will boot that. if the dvd drive is empty, it will skip to number 2 which should be the HDD you want to boot from


Well it was working fine before that fateful reboot. If you're sure, I'll do a reinstall. This sucks because I had a shitload of large games on there and I have a very slow download speed:(  will take forever to get them back.
Thanks for the input
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 5:59:40 PM

Hey Beezy what I ended up doing was just cloning my old drive again. It runs fine again. I'll pick your answer as best solution just as a thanks for your help:) 
Thanks again
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 27, 2014 6:05:02 PM

good im glad that worked bro
m
0
l
August 3, 2014 10:25:53 AM

Beezy said:
good im glad that worked bro


So... is just reinstall windows?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 3, 2014 10:31:16 AM

facunichea said:
Beezy said:
good im glad that worked bro


So... is just reinstall windows?


its giving you problems again? its probably a good idea to try a fresh install, if problems still persist after that the BIOS may need updating or the AHCI controller needs to be updated im not sure..
m
0
l
Related resources
!