Solved

PC won't boot after RAM upgrade. Now old RAM won't work either.

So earlier today I picked up 8GB of Corsair Vengence RAM (2x4GB) and installed it in my computer to replace the 2 2GB sticks I had. After I installed them, I went to turn on my PC and nothing happened. The computer seems to be stuck in an endless reboot. No display, but also no beeps. I turned it off and took the RAM out and put the old back in. Same thing, although this time there were three beeps. One long beep and two short. Both sticks were seated properly, and everything was unplugged during installation. I've tried resetting the CMOS with no luck either. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A88T-M LE.

UPDATE: I was up til 2am last night trying to get this fixed with no luck. I even reseated all parts to my computer to ensure that all connections were tight. No matter what RAM I put in, new or old, 1 stick or two, first slot or second, I still get one long beep and two short. This means that my motherboard will not detect the RAM.
Is it possible that I broke something in my motherboard since it won't detect either of them? I don't want to return the RAM and get a new motherboard only for the old RAM to not work in there either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot ram upgrade ram work
  1. I should also add that I have no way to reach the BIOS, so any configuring there is out of the question.
  2. Oh, you tried that.
  3. chrisso said:
    clear the cmos. That should get it re started with the old ram.

    Thanks, but I have already tried this both ways; with the jumper and the battery.
  4. Best answer
    reset the CMOS so the the BIOS resets and defaults to the lowest/original setting. you usually have to take the battery on the motherboard out to do this, then wait a sec, put it back in. Refer to the proper and safe method for doing this (unplug, off carpet, press the power button to discharge anything left in the system, etc)

    update: just read above, crap. try one stick at a time? in each slot?
  5. Beezy said:
    reset the CMOS so the the BIOS resets and defaults to the lowest/original setting. you usually have to take the battery on the motherboard out to do this, then wait a sec, put it back in. Refer to the proper and safe method for doing this (unplug, off carpet, press the power button to discharge anything left in the system, etc)

    update: just read above, crap. try one stick at a time? in each slot?

    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have tried putting one stick in at a time with no luck. Still beeping. I've tried this multiple times with both sets of RAM. I'm seriously running out of options!
  6. maybe this thread is of interest
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288092-30-doesn-work-doesn-work
    i would try removing some of the other components and try to examine the motherboard for nothing bent or damaged
  7. Beezy said:
    maybe this thread is of interest
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288092-30-doesn-work-doesn-work
    i would try removing some of the other components and try to examine the motherboard for nothing bent or damaged
    Is it possible that I could have caused a crack in the motherboard right underneath the RAM slots?
  8. Curious if you found an answer to this?
  9. OK, so I've read alot of the problems with the computer not re booting after inserting new 2
    ram cards. Well the same happened to me. I unplugged the power from the wall with thee intention of removing the battery prior to inserting the new ram. So , I removed the old ram ,inserted the new ram and powered up. NOTHING.No pings ,no flashing lights absolutely nothing. First reaction, OMG my computer is dead and I just realized that I didn't remove the battery. You idiot , you just blew up your computer and who can I now blame. No worries , . unplug the power ,remove the battery ,stick th old ram back in , plug the power and the battery in and voila , everything powers back up.. Ok, now, unplug , remove the battery and stick the ram cards back in . Put the power back in and low and behold I now have 4 gbs of ram , 2 more than before and everything is zipping along way faster than 2 minutes ago.
    PROBLEM WAS I DID NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY IN THE FIRST PLACE AND COULD NOT ADMIT IT. THINKING THAT MY STUPID MISTAKE HAD DESTROYED MY COMPUTER BUT THERE WAS NO WAY THAT I WAS GOING TO ADMIT IT BECAUSE THAT MIGHT RUIN MY CHANCE OF BLAMING THE SUPPLIER OF THE RAM CARDS , THUS RUINING MY CHANCE OF GETTING A NEW COMPUTER OR NEW RAM CARDS..
    REMOVE THE BATTERY, YOU WONT FRY YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU DON'T..


    beedydaniel said:
    So earlier today I picked up 8GB of Corsair Vengence RAM (2x4GB) and installed it in my computer to replace the 2 2GB sticks I had. After I installed them, I went to turn on my PC and nothing happened. The computer seems to be stuck in an endless reboot. No display, but also no beeps. I turned it off and took the RAM out and put the old back in. Same thing, although this time there were three beeps. One long beep and two short. Both sticks were seated properly, and everything was unplugged during installation. I've tried resetting the CMOS with no luck either. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A88T-M LE.

    UPDATE: I was up til 2am last night trying to get this fixed with no luck. I even reseated all parts to my computer to ensure that all connections were tight. No matter what RAM I put in, new or old, 1 stick or two, first slot or second, I still get one long beep and two short. This means that my motherboard will not detect the RAM.
    Is it possible that I broke something in my motherboard since it won't detect either of them? I don't want to return the RAM and get a new motherboard only for the old RAM to not work in there either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  10. For me was exactly the same problem with MSI 970 gaming mobo and Corsair dual channel CMY8GX3M2A1866C9B RAMS. I had one pair 2 x 4 G. Then i added another 2 x 4 pair and the PC just would not start nor access Bios. Then i what i did is simply reset the CMOS by shorting the jumper near the battery. BTW first i tried to remove the battery but it didnt work, but after shorting it saw all 4 modules, though i needed to set the clock 1866 Mhz in Bios manually coz in auto it was 1333.
    Take care.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Computers Memory