Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPUID HWmonitor reads CPU Package temp 95 at load. Is that safe?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 26, 2014 5:51:34 AM

Using CPUID HWMonitor, I'm confused regarding the difference between my CPU temp measured in the motherboard category and the CPU temp measured in the processor category (package temperature). In the former my temp reads 57 c at max load (using Prime95). The latter is reading a max of 95 c at max load (Prime95 again). The package temperature also reaches similar temps when running a GPU load test (FurMark)

What exactly is "package" temperature? Is running that hot in the "package" temperature bad? How can I reduce this temperature?

Running AMD A10 6800K on an ASUS A2A85-M Pro motherboard.

Thank you for you help.
January 26, 2014 6:10:10 AM

if it was a haswell like mine I would have said yes but I think you need to reapply the thermal paste with some of higher quality or if it already is check the fan is working and that you have enough case ventilation
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 6:23:42 AM

dj1997 said:
if it was a haswell like mine I would have said yes but I think you need to reapply the thermal paste with some of higher quality or if it already is check the fan is working and that you have enough case ventilation


Thanks for the answer. But why the disparity between the two readings? Why am I paying attention to the package temp as opposed to the temp read in the motherboard category? Using ASUS AI Suite II doesn't even read anything called "package" temp and the CPU temps in this program read the same as the lower temps in HWMonitor.

What is "package" temp measuring, exactly?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 26, 2014 6:50:14 AM

kbrining said:
dj1997 said:
if it was a haswell like mine I would have said yes but I think you need to reapply the thermal paste with some of higher quality or if it already is check the fan is working and that you have enough case ventilation


Thanks for the answer. But why the disparity between the two readings? Why am I paying attention to the package temp as opposed to the temp read in the motherboard category? Using ASUS AI Suite II doesn't even read anything called "package" temp and the CPU temps in this program read the same as the lower temps in HWMonitor.

What is "package" temp measuring, exactly?

I think it may just be what the cpu is rated for then
Share
March 3, 2014 1:42:50 AM

No, when your watching temperatures in HWMonitor you want to be watching TMPIN0 when evaluating temperatures.
If your getting 95+ degrees in the packages reading its usually a sign of a bad sensor, my packages reads 120 degrees under full load when in reality its hitting around 57 degrees.
Have you had any system crashes lately? Hanging? PC shutting down without notice?
m
0
l
May 4, 2014 12:14:48 PM

GNETWORK UL said:
No, when your watching temperatures in HWMonitor you want to be watching TMPIN0 when evaluating temperatures.
If your getting 95+ degrees in the packages reading its usually a sign of a bad sensor, my packages reads 120 degrees under full load when in reality its hitting around 57 degrees.
Have you had any system crashes lately? Hanging? PC shutting down without notice?



I have this problem. recently i bought a brandnew APU laptop with A10-5750m. i was surprised when i checked "speccy" and "hwmonitor" they both give me temperature readings of 95-99degC at idle and 120-130degC from CPU during loads. however when i tried using "HWiNFO64" i get 2 readings one from CPU 0"" and other on "CPU 0 package" the weird thing is CPU 0 is ALWAYS 49degC lower : for ex. if CPU 0 package is 99.4 C the CPU 0 would be 50.4 C...

the laptop doesn't feel hot at all, just regular laptop temp (would still call it cool).... but YES i do get random shutdowns without notice (actually 3 times since i received it. any advice???
m
0
l
!