Under $1800 Gaming System Feedback

jchan3

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: Under $1800 AUD(Australian dollar)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, word processing, music&video editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard,mouse,speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scorptec/MSY

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nividea GPU, No MSI parts

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Is there any part i can change/substitute?

Parts I have selected
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO Motherboard
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX760 Overclocked, 2GB
RAM: G.Skill F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB, ST500DM002
Optical Drive: LG CH12NS30 Blu Ray Combo Drive
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R Mid Tower Black ATX Case
PSU: Corsair TX750M Bronze 750W Power Supply
(Not sure if needed)Network Card: TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapte
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler

Solution
Looks good, everything seems compatible. Depending on how intensive of video editing you will be doing, you may want to consider an i7 and more memory (16 GB) if you are planning on doing intensive editing. As far as changes/substitutions, just about anything COULD be changed, but if the parts you have selected (which are all quality parts IMHO) meet your needs, then go with what you have. The only thing I might change would be maybe a smaller wattage PSU, your system only requires about 500W with a single GTX 760 installed and then add 50-100W for overclocking, so a quality 550W-650W PSU from top tier companies such as Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (except their CX series) or Antec. The Corsair PSU you have listed is a good PSU though...

Andrei2014

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
If you want a PC for gaming this is beter for you for what you whant.
This is the Gaming PC that i gat for 2014 -2016 or more and i run Battelfield 4 on Auto setings all Medium 100 - 150 FPS and on ultra 59 - 100 FPS and its good for Recording games wen you play , editing etc. And i Have WINDOWS 7 Home Premium
Procesor : AMD AM3+ FX-8350 4,00 GHz 125w BOX
Motherbord : asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 am3+ 6sata3 6usb3.0 atx
Video Card : gigabyte gtx 780ti 3gb ddr5 n78toc 3gd
RAM : CORSAIR DDR3 16GB 2x8GB PC 1600 Vengeance Black Heatspreader CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 ( its CL 10 )
Liquid cooling : Cooler Master Seidon 240M – All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 240mm Radiator and 2 Fans
SSD: corsair. ssd 2.5 120gb sata3 serie LS
Hard Drive : w.d. hdd 1tb 7200rpm 64mb sata3 caviar blue
Power: tacens valeo v 900w pfc activo modular 80plus silv
Case : gaming strikex Black-Red aerocool
Keybord : Zalman zm-k400g Light Up Gaming Keyboard
Monitor : LG 22ea53vq-p 21.5 ips led full hd hdmi dvi vesa
Optical Drive : lg gh24nsb0 24x black oem sata
+ 2 Fans extra for silent cooling
You can use waht CASE you want but i recomend you get RAM 16GB ( CL 10 ) and it needs to be 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz and you need a Water Cooling for Overcloking and 1 more thing AMD is beter for Multitask this cost me in SPAIN 1800 Euros in Australia it can be lower the price Googel it .

animal

Distinguished
Looks good, everything seems compatible. Depending on how intensive of video editing you will be doing, you may want to consider an i7 and more memory (16 GB) if you are planning on doing intensive editing. As far as changes/substitutions, just about anything COULD be changed, but if the parts you have selected (which are all quality parts IMHO) meet your needs, then go with what you have. The only thing I might change would be maybe a smaller wattage PSU, your system only requires about 500W with a single GTX 760 installed and then add 50-100W for overclocking, so a quality 550W-650W PSU from top tier companies such as Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (except their CX series) or Antec. The Corsair PSU you have listed is a good PSU though. However, if you plan on adding additional GPUs for SLI'ing in the future then check out this page for recommended wattages based upon type and amount of GPUs:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Assuming you will be overclocking, I suggest adding 50-100W to their recommendations.

Solution
My build: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2HRK2

Comments:

1) I wanted to fit in a GTX780 graphics card. I went about $30 over budget but if that's a big deal you could save a few dollars elsewhere.

2) I recommend the i5-4670K. While the FX-8350 does comparably in a few new games now that games are being written better it also performs very poorly in most current games such as SKYRIM which can run over 30% slower.

Most people don't just buy new games, but rather get current/older games on Steam for cheap. It's not a few older games it's MOST of them. Some argue you'd be above 60FPS anyway, but games also have a LOW FPS at times which results in stutter so the poorer the CPU, the more stutter (of this type) you get. The CPU also creates a lot more HEAT which is very problematic in areas that get hot.

Benchmark (i5-4670K is slightly faster than the i5-3570K): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-14.html

3) NOCTUA CPU COOLER:
This one should keep things pretty cool and quiet and it's reasonably priced. The stock fan gets pretty noisy, and the Cooler Master Hyper 212/Evo is only abut $20 cheaper but its fan is prone to noise issues.

4) CASE:
There are other cases depending on your preferences. You want one with front USB3, and at least one included case fan.

5) Windows 8.1 64-bit:
Not much to say there, but don't get Windows 7. I do however recommend START8 from Stardock for $5 to bypass the new Start Menu by default (can still easily go to the new one).

6) SSD:
The Samsung 840 EVO is the best value IMO.
*You will want to download Samsung Magician to update the firmware and Overprovision the drive.

7) HDD: 2TB is the best value and the reviews for this model are good.
*Install STEAM and other games to the hard drive. For example, when installing STEAM create it and "E:\STEAM" if "E" is your 2TB hard drive.

Other:
- memtest for DDR3 memory www.memtest.org
- motherboard BIOS update
- click "XMP" in the BIOS to set the CPU and DDR3 optimal defaults (don't overclock until Memtest and used for a week to ensure no issues. I recommend 4.1 or 4.2GHz by manually changing the Multiplier for each core and nothing else, then rerun Memtest)
- motherboard main chipset, and other drivers, fan control software etc.
- create BACKUP IMAGE of Windows (C-drive) to the hard drive. Programs include Acronis True Image (Seagate has the free version under the name "Seagate DiscWizard" which can create a compressed backup of your Windows drive. Roughly 20GB to 40GB depending on capacity).

Andrei2014

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

The GTX 780Ti OC is beter then GTX 780 and the AMD FX 8350 is cheaper and it can keep up with Intel lock on Youtub ( http://youtu.be/kLvNbZLBGYw ) and i had windows 8.1 and my FPS dropt in meny older and new games 20 to 30 FPS so i gat windows 7 home premium and no more problems