Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cpu cap removal

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 26, 2014 6:33:09 PM

Hi, i have an lga 1155 socket and on my 1st mobo when i removed the cap before installing cpu, it fell into the socket and bent a bunch of pins, now i ordered another mobo( no i'm not gonna sit with a magnifier and poke at pins) and i don't want to make the same mistake, so 1st i will lif up the bracket and install the cpu, but how to i properly remove the cap?

More about : cpu cap removal

January 26, 2014 6:40:27 PM

Here's how I did mine:

Step 1: Unlatch hinge

Step 2: Lift up compression piece (the part that presses the CPU against the pins)

Step 3: While holding back compression piece with one hand, firmly grip protective socket cap with two fingers, and pull up and out from socket

Hope this helps! There are many videos online that show how how to install a CPU if you are more of a visual learner.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 26, 2014 6:45:41 PM

Conlan said:
Here's how I did mine:

Step 1: Unlatch hinge

Step 2: Lift up compression piece (the part that presses the CPU against the pins)

Step 3: While holding back compression piece with one hand, firmly grip protective socket cap with two fingers, and pull up and out from latch

LHope this helps! There are many videos online that how how to install a CPU if you are more of a visual learner.

Thanks' so your'e saying pull the braket up woth cpu installed then pull it off while it's veritcal behind the socket?
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 6:55:29 PM

jareDrake13 said:

Thanks' so your'e saying pull the braket up woth cpu installed then pull it off while it's veritcal behind the socket?


That's close. You need to first lift the bracket up, and keep it up with one hand while pinching the sides of, and carefully removing the plastic socket shield with the other. You can then "drop" in the CPU, being sure the notches on the socket correspond with those on the CPU. Be sure to lie the CPU in flat; don't put it in at an angle or shove it around, or you risk bent pins. However, giving the CPU a little wiggle with your finger to make sure it's settled in is not a bad idea.
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 7:05:04 PM

Conlan said:
jareDrake13 said:

Thanks' so your'e saying pull the braket up woth cpu installed then pull it off while it's veritcal behind the socket?


That's close. You need to first lift the bracket up, and keep it up with one hand while pinching the sides of, and carefully removing the plastic socket shield with the other. You can then "drop" in the CPU, being sure the notches on the socket correspond with those on the CPU. Be sure to lie the CPU in flat; don't put it in at an angle or shove it around, or you risk bent pins. However, giving the CPU a little wiggle with your finger to make sure it's settled in is not a bad idea.

On my mobo the plastic protector was stuck to the part that is lifted up, and I had push it out with my thumbs, causing it to fall ontp the socket, do u think it was a manufacturing mistake?

m
0
l
January 26, 2014 7:10:13 PM

jareDrake13 said:
On my mobo the plastic protector was stuck to the part that is lifted up, and I had push it out with my thumbs, causing it to fall ontp the socket, do u think it was a manufacturing mistake?


If that's the case, while holding the bracket up with one hand, pinch the front and back of the plastic socket cap, and pull away from the bracket, it should now be detached, but because your fingers will be looped through the bracket, you will need to let go of the bracket with your other hand, and use it to pick up your protective cap from your now stuck hand.
m
0
l
January 26, 2014 7:14:09 PM

Conlan said:
Here's how I did mine:

Step 1: Unlatch hinge

Step 2: Lift up compression piece (the part that presses the CPU against the pins)

Step 3: While holding back compression piece with one hand, firmly grip protective socket cap with two fingers, and pull up and out from socket

Hope this helps! There are many videos online that show how how to install a CPU if you are more of a visual learner.


For some reason the plastic cap stuck to the bracket when i lift it up not laying i the socket and i pushed it out with my thumb making it fall o the pins, do u thing it was a manufacturing mistake?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2014 8:20:34 PM

Must have been a manufacturing mistake, since they should come of quite easily.
m
0
l
!