Solved

Building a new Desktop: parts compatibility help

Hey Guys
I'm planning on building my first desktop computer, but before I do that I just want to make sure that all the parts I buy is compatible. These are the parts I'm planning to get. Am I missing any parts?

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Black Mid Tower Case w/Side Panel Window = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=610218&CategoryID=759 $129

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64Bit = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=601367&CategoryID=323 $118

MotherBoard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA1150 ATX Motherboard http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=613623&CategoryID=762

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell 3.4GHz 6MB Retail Box = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612501&CategoryID=235 $280

RAM: Avexir 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 Budget Series C9 1333MHz = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=613533&CategoryID=603 $189

Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX760 OC ITX 2GB DVI HDMI 2xminiDisplayPort = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=614159&CategoryID=467 $359

Power Supply (PSU): Corsair HX750v2 750W 80PLUS Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612042&CategoryID=519 $199

Hard Drive: Western Digital Red NAS WD10EFRX 3.5" 1TB 64MB Intellipower HDD = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=610114&CategoryID=243 $99

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST 24x Black SATA DVD Writer OEM = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612203&CategoryID=561 $23

Wireless adapter: Asus PCE-N53 802.11n 300MBPS Dual Band Wireless PCIe Adapter = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612045&CategoryID=390 $54

Montior: Asus VS247HR 23.6" Full HD WS 2MS LED Monitor = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=613562&CategoryID=500 $175

Keyboard: Logitech K230 Wireless Keyboard = http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=611609&CategoryID=476 $24
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building desktop parts compatibility
  1. just make sure that the CPU socket is LGA 1155, then it won't be any problem..
  2. Best answer
    Looks like everything will work except your choice of CPU and Motherboard. Your Motherboard uses an LGA 2011 socket, and your CPU requires an LGA 1155 socket.

    Aside from that, I question why you would opt for the more compact version of the GTX 760. Also, unless this is a workstation PC, you will have no need for 16 gb of ram, and would be better off putting the money into 8 gb of 1600mhz or 2133mhz ram
  3. Conlan said:
    Looks like everything will work except your choice of CPU and Motherboard. Your Motherboard uses an LGA 2011 socket, and your CPU requires an LGA 1155 socket.

    Aside from that, I question why you would opt for the more compact version of the GTX 760. Also, unless this is a workstation PC, you will have no need for 16 gb of ram, and would be better off putting the money into 8 gb of 1600mhz or 2133mhz ram


    Are you sure that the motherboard doesn't support a LGA1150 Socket? When I look at the motherboard specifications, it says = Processor Socket: 1 x LGA1150 Socket

    Also, is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

    Thanks for the help!
  4. 8gb ram is recomended for gaming so its enough
  5. nashdes001 said:
    8gb ram is recomended for gaming so its enough


    Thanks
  6. DirtyDiaper said:
    Are you sure that the motherboard doesn't support a LGA1150 Socket? When I look at the motherboard specifications, it says = Processor Socket: 1 x LGA1150 Socket
    Thanks for the help!

    The motherboard has, and therefore supports, an LGA1150 socket. The issue lies in the fact that your CPU of choice requires an LGA 1155 socket.
  7. Conlan said:
    DirtyDiaper said:
    Are you sure that the motherboard doesn't support a LGA1150 Socket? When I look at the motherboard specifications, it says = Processor Socket: 1 x LGA1150 Socket
    Thanks for the help!

    The motherboard has, and therefore supports, an LGA1150 socket. The issue lies in the fact that your CPU of choice requires an LGA 1155 socket.

    Will this CPU work? http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612500&CategoryID=764
    And should I go with Intel i5 or i7?

    Thanks for the reply's guys! Its helping alot!
  8. DirtyDiaper said:
    Conlan said:
    DirtyDiaper said:
    Are you sure that the motherboard doesn't support a LGA1150 Socket? When I look at the motherboard specifications, it says = Processor Socket: 1 x LGA1150 Socket
    Thanks for the help!

    The motherboard has, and therefore supports, an LGA1150 socket. The issue lies in the fact that your CPU of choice requires an LGA 1155 socket.

    Will this CPU work? http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612500&CategoryID=764
    And should I go with Intel i5 or i7?

    Thanks for the reply's guys! Its helping alot!



    Intel core i5 is more than enough for you to do gaming....
  9. brandlu said:
    Intel core i5 is more than enough for you to do gaming....



    I believe BF4 (and therefore games to come) take advantage of all 8 virtual cores on the i7, so that's what I would buy. An i5 will work just fine though.

    EDIT: fixed number of virtual cores on an i7
  10. Conlan said:
    DirtyDiaper said:
    Are you sure that the motherboard doesn't support a LGA1150 Socket? When I look at the motherboard specifications, it says = Processor Socket: 1 x LGA1150 Socket
    Thanks for the help!

    The motherboard has, and therefore supports, an LGA1150 socket. The issue lies in the fact that your CPU of choice requires an LGA 1155 socket.


    Im pretty sure that the CPU I chose has a LGA1150 Socket.... Am I correct? http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612501&CategoryID=235
  11. Conlan said:
    brandlu said:
    Intel core i5 is more than enough for you to do gaming....



    I believe BF4 (and therefore games to come) take advantage of all 4 virtual cores on the i7, so that's what I would buy. An i5 will work just fine though.


    there is also i5 with 4 core inside......
  12. DirtyDiaper said:

    Im pretty sure that the CPU I chose has a LGA1150 Socket.... Am I correct? http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612501&CategoryID=235


    Correct you are... I don't know how I got the idea the the CPU in your OP required an LGA 1155 socket. Sorry about that :P
  13. Conlan said:
    DirtyDiaper said:

    Im pretty sure that the CPU I chose has a LGA1150 Socket.... Am I correct? http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612501&CategoryID=235


    Correct you are... I don't know how I got the idea the the CPU in your OP required an LGA 1155 socket. Sorry about that :P


    No problem, Thanks for the help anyway
Ask a new question

Read More

Help Desk Desktops Computers Components PC gaming Compatibility