Solved Closed

Toshiba laptop won't boot.

My laptop won't boot: lights are on, the fan is spinning but the screen is always black.
I've tried both removing the power and pressing the power button for 1 min and replacing the CMOS battery with a new one. Is there something else I can try or is the mobo gone?
72 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about toshiba laptop boot
  1. Did you remove the battery?
  2. tachybana said:
    Did you remove the battery?

    Yes.
  3. If you're handy, try checking the memory modules. If it has more than two, try removing one and see if it boots.
  4. tachybana said:
    If you're handy, try checking the memory modules. If it has more than two, try removing one and see if it boots.

    I removed both memory modules and I've put them back and the laptop still didn't work. Then I've removed one and left the other in but still nothing...
  5. Hi, did you try an external monitor?
  6. jarotech said:
    Hi, did you try an external monitor?

    The display ain't the problem: on my laptop there's a little red light that turns on when the bios has booted and this light doesn't turn on anymore.
  7. What is the model number for your Toshiba.
  8. jarotech said:
    What is the model number for your Toshiba.

    It is a satellite l500d-174.
  9. Remove the battery and try to boot again.
  10. jarotech said:
    Remove the battery and try to boot again.


    Battery has been removed since the laptop stopped working so all the booting attempts were done without the battery.
  11. Ok, what LED does not light, is it the LED for the WLAN?
  12. Exactly, the WLAN LED ain't lighting.
    The symbol under the LED is this one: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/medusa81/medusa811205/medusa81120500047/13830065-wireless-wlan-icon.jpg
  13. It seems that something on the motherboard is defective, the laptop won't event POST. The last thing you could do is to disassemble the laptop, with just the motherboard with the adapter and plug to an external monitor, try to boot, if you have nothing on the monitor, then some component is defective.
  14. jarotech said:
    It seems that something on the motherboard is defective, the laptop won't event POST. The last thing you could do is to disassemble the laptop, with just the motherboard with the adapter and plug to an external monitor, try to boot, if you have nothing on the monitor, then some component is defective.


    The last thing that appeared on the monitor before it stopped working were some codes regarding HDD. It said that it wasn't able to recognize the HDD or something...
  15. You can remove the HDD to see if it will POST, but I doubt the HDD stop the laptop from booting.
  16. jarotech said:
    You can remove the HDD to see if it will POST, but I doubt the HDD stop the laptop from booting.


    I've removed the HDD and turned the pc on but I still got the black screen. I've also inserted another HDD that I had from another broken laptop but still nothing. I guess the HDD ain't the problem.
  17. No, try to go in the BIOS.
  18. jarotech said:
    No, try to go in the BIOS.

    And how do I do that from a black screen?
  19. If you can go to the BIOS, the screen will not be black. The BIOS is somehow before and part of the POST or vice versa.
  20. jarotech said:
    If you can go to the BIOS, the screen will not be black. The BIOS is somehow before and part of the POST or vice versa.

    I get it but how can I access the BIOS if when I power the laptop the screen stays black as nothing happened? Are there any key I should press?
  21. When you push the power, right after push F2 rapidly, but I'm sure it will not work, nothing to loose.
  22. jarotech said:
    When you push the power, right after push F2 rapidly, but I'm sure it will not work, nothing to loose.

    It didn't work :(
  23. jarotech said:
    When you push the power, right after push F2 rapidly, but I'm sure it will not work, nothing to loose.

    Do you think that the mobo failed and if yes how much would a new mobo for this laptop cost?
  24. Best answer
    xxxvegexxx said:

    Do you think that the mobo failed and if yes how much would a new mobo for this laptop cost?



    Yes, something on the motherboard is defective, you will paid between US$75 and US$150 for the motherboard depending where it come from, without the cost of the shipping.
  25. xxxvegexxx said:
    jarotech said:
    What is the model number for your Toshiba.

    It is a satellite l500d-174.



    i don't have a solution for you but when researching the same topic, i found that i would have to disagree with the battery removal or assumption of defective motherboard. for two reasons: 1, i know a thing or two about computers not amateur and not genius, taught computers in college for living 2. the problem appears to be first toshiba, then satellite. Toshiba owners consistently talk about their boot problems with HDD and most report similar bios mishaps. the same goes for usb for toshiba. only very specific, not borrowed product key bootable disks are going to work, not your average microsoft bootable usb will and even if you get the write bootable usb for the toshiba, a borrowed product key gum up the works there.lastly from what i've read the toshiba satellite specifically does not come with an ODD that is accepted to use for a toshiba bootable..so, many just change out there ODD to one of the approved list models. i still don't have a solution myself but i do believe your problems stemmed from make and model of laptop. otherwise, everything other suggestion you were given would be typical for other laptops and would likely fix problem.had to poke my nose in, sorry.
  26. Hi Jewels, "had to poke my nose in, sorry. " don't be sorry, every good point of view are welcome. If a laptop can't go in the BIOS, I don't think the problem could be the HDD or the ODD or some bootable USB key if they are not used even if this is a Toshiba. The problem must be a defective component on the motherboard itself, don't you agree?
  27. i have same problem
  28. I see the typical boot screen, but can't access the bios or the the operating system. This happened for me after trying the system re-install method contained on the hard-drive.. All I see is the TOSHIBA boot screen, but none of the buttons help me get into bios, or boot from the hdd... I'm trying a fresh System install from the Toshiba recovery that is installed on the hdd. The recovery stopped at the "installing applications" phase, and asked to reboot.... Now all I get is the Toshiba screen, and I can't do anything from there.
  29. Did you ever figure out what the issue is? I am having the same issue with my CZ-17. I have to keep cycling the power until it finally boots up. It usually takes 15-20mins of hard shutdowns/restarts before it actually boots.
  30. I've got a Toshiba Satellite L850D that is having the same issue.... Won't load, only shows black screen, after Toshiba logo initial load screen.

    Ive had this situation occur several times in the past when restarting but typically all I'd need to do was long press the power button and let it settle for a few moments before turning it back on as normal. Worst case scenario I'd have to repeat that once or twice.

    Today best I can do is get to the advanced options blue screen.
  31. Jewels27777777 said:
    xxxvegexxx said:
    jarotech said:
    What is the model number for your Toshiba.

    It is a satellite l500d-174.



    i don't have a solution for you but when researching the same topic, i found that i would have to disagree with the battery removal or assumption of defective motherboard. for two reasons: 1, i know a thing or two about computers not amateur and not genius, taught computers in college for living 2. the problem appears to be first toshiba, then satellite. Toshiba owners consistently talk about their boot problems with HDD and most report similar bios mishaps. the same goes for usb for toshiba. only very specific, not borrowed product key bootable disks are going to work, not your average microsoft bootable usb will and even if you get the write bootable usb for the toshiba, a borrowed product key gum up the works there.lastly from what i've read the toshiba satellite specifically does not come with an ODD that is accepted to use for a toshiba bootable..so, many just change out there ODD to one of the approved list models. i still don't have a solution myself but i do believe your problems stemmed from make and model of laptop. otherwise, everything other suggestion you were given would be typical for other laptops and would likely fix problem.had to poke my nose in, sorry.
  32. jarotech said:
    When you push the power, right after push F2 rapidly, but I'm sure it will not work, nothing to loose.


    Hi,
    My Toshiba is a p755 s5387 model. I get to the aptio setup utility and I don't know what to do next. I just inserted a new hdd hard drive since my other one failed.
  33. regalbegal78 said:
    Did you ever figure out what the issue is? I am having the same issue with my CZ-17. I have to keep cycling the power until it finally boots up. It usually takes 15-20mins of hard shutdowns/restarts before it actually boots.



    I have a Sat Pro C50-A... Get black screen at start up.. doesn't show Toshiba screen, but when it does it will boot up.. Was thinking it may be RAM or HDD but now after reading all above I feel it may be more terminal...

    All I can do is leave it on & pray it boots up...
  34. Hey mate, this is probably long forgotten but for anyone else who stumbles upon this article. i had the same problem with my toshiba for about 4 hours. I decided to remove every input device including the disk drive and keyboard... and it booted. so just be patient and keep trying :)
  35. jarotech said:
    Hi Jewels, "had to poke my nose in, sorry. " don't be sorry, every good point of view are welcome. If a laptop can't go in the BIOS, I don't think the problem could be the HDD or the ODD or some bootable USB key if they are not used even if this is a Toshiba. The problem must be a defective component on the motherboard itself, don't you agree?
  36. Research how to re-flow your motherboard. Since you've tried everything else... before spending money on new parts, heat up your motherboard to about 400 degrees. Remove batteries / HD / plastic casing / etc. Some people seriously put them in an oven and it works. I use a nice heat gun & surface temp gun, evenly heat up board to about 250, then concentrate on the GPU area of the board. Get the GPU solder pins to 400 degrees F. Then let it cool off and reassemble. I usually have to blow 1,100 degree air a couple inches away to get the board to 400 degrees.

    Youtube it. It's a last resort. I've had success with it, but it doesn't always work.

    I know this is VERY common in HP laptops. I've seen a few of the Pavilion Dv7's that this repair fixed em.

    Edit: Don't hold the hot air in 1 spot, keep it moving, don't heat it up TOO quickly, and don't blow capacitors!
  37. Thanks to "pnpcrazyfool"..Your suggestion worked for my Toshiba Laptop.

    I live in Minnesota and it is crazy cold here.My laptop stopped working 2 weeks ago. I tried all the steps I could find in the internet. Finally I took it to the computer hardware guy. He also gave up.

    And then I stumbled upon your suggestion to "heat the motherboard". I just kept my laptop on one of the heat air vent for few mins and kept pressing the "Power" button. In few mins my laptop booted up..

    Thanks again.

    Vinod
  38. pnpcrazyfool said:
    Research how to re-flow your motherboard. Since you've tried everything else... before spending money on new parts, heat up your motherboard to about 400 degrees. Remove batteries / HD / plastic casing / etc. Some people seriously put them in an oven and it works. I use a nice heat gun & surface temp gun, evenly heat up board to about 250, then concentrate on the GPU area of the board. Get the GPU solder pins to 400 degrees F. Then let it cool off and reassemble. I usually have to blow 1,100 degree air a couple inches away to get the board to 400 degrees.

    Youtube it. It's a last resort. I've had success with it, but it doesn't always work.

    I know this is VERY common in HP laptops. I've seen a few of the Pavilion Dv7's that this repair fixed em.

    Edit: Don't hold the hot air in 1 spot, keep it moving, don't heat it up TOO quickly, and don't blow capacitors!


    guyfromminnesota said:
    Thanks to "pnpcrazyfool"..Your suggestion worked for my Toshiba Laptop.

    I live in Minnesota and it is crazy cold here.My laptop stopped working 2 weeks ago. I tried all the steps I could find in the internet. Finally I took it to the computer hardware guy. He also gave up.

    And then I stumbled upon your suggestion to "heat the motherboard". I just kept my laptop on one of the heat air vent for few mins and kept pressing the "Power" button. In few mins my laptop booted up..

    Thanks again.

    Vinod


    Just wanna second the fact that this crazy heating thing worked... I tried everything else stated above for my Sony vaio. I just used a plug in heater for about 15 min. And bam started up. Idk how it is for other people. But for me whilst fixing computers, it's never the easy solution.. crazy how its always the one random post u see where its like this might work... Anyways thank you!!
  39. guyfromminnesota said:
    Thanks to "pnpcrazyfool"..Your suggestion worked for my Toshiba Laptop.

    I live in Minnesota and it is crazy cold here.My laptop stopped working 2 weeks ago. I tried all the steps I could find in the internet. Finally I took it to the computer hardware guy. He also gave up.

    And then I stumbled upon your suggestion to "heat the motherboard". I just kept my laptop on one of the heat air vent for few mins and kept pressing the "Power" button. In few mins my laptop booted up..

    Thanks again.

    Vinod
  40. Like Vinod, I just stumbled across this answer about heating the motherboard, so set the machine on top of the floor heat duct for only about two minutes then hit the power button. On it came! Cannot believe it. I tried about a dozen times powering on and off and removing the battery and power cable, etc. Nothing worked until I did what you said and set it on the heat. Who would have known that???? LOL Thanks!
  41. I fix this problem like this.
    It will be normal boot mode, Unplug everything external media (USB-WIFI-WIRELESS MOUSE-WIRELESS KEYBORD ETC.)
    Restart your laptop and press f2 to boot.
    Select advenced to change it to fast boot the save and exit (f10)
    Thats all
  42. Ali Ersin Gercek said:
    I fix this problem like this.
    It will be normal boot mode, Unplug everything external media (USB-WIFI-WIRELESS MOUSE-WIRELESS KEYBORD ETC.)
    Restart your laptop and press f2 to boot.
    Select advenced to change it to fast boot the save and exit (f10)
    Thats all
  43. If you cannot start the machine in the first place how can we expect it to boot up so we can get to F2 state?
  44. GailS said:
    If you cannot start the machine in the first place how can we expect it to boot up so we can get to F2 state?


    i had a toshiba c855D-S5100 that i took apart bought a new motherboard from another model with cpu(AMD A8-3530MX socket FS1) every thing went smoothly but when i turned it on. i had the led the fan no WLAN led and no boot menu. reading through some forms i found that the problems comes from a defective motherboard so i'm sending it back to see what happen
  45. Hussein_2 said:
    GailS said:
    If you cannot start the machine in the first place how can we expect it to boot up so we can get to F2 state?


    i had a toshiba c855D-S5100 that i took apart bought a new motherboard from another model with cpu(AMD A8-3530MX socket FS1) every thing went smoothly but when i turned it on. i had the led the fan no WLAN led and no boot menu. reading through some forms i found that the problems comes from a defective motherboard so i'm sending it back to see what happen
  46. Hi there - motherboards are normally not compatible from one machine to another, regardless if they are the same manufacturer or not. I hope you have luck in returning the one you bought,
  47. I would suggest the issue be with ram. The issue I have had 3 times now was where the PC Light (eg power light) would be on, but nothing would ever show on the display (no splash boot screen or anything) and the HDD light would also never turn on. This is a failure to POST and POST checking occurs before the LCD is even powered on in a laptop. For example if anything at all is going to be displayed in the LCD you need( A: Ram to hold the files for what is about to be displayed,B:A processor to convert it into Pixel Data and a GPU but this is irrelvent in most laptops as the GPU is inside the CPU)

    The issue I described above was solved by removing and reinserting my ram, whilst adding a little more force than normal. Mine has a tendancy to slide out its socket as I have discovered.

    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/POST-Power-On-Self-Test
  48. pnpcrazyfool - you're the man!!! after trying everything else, this is what worked!!!
  49. Sparty423 said:
    pnpcrazyfool - you're the man!!! after trying everything else, this is what worked!!!


    are u serious man? If its not a joke im gonna try it now?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Boot Hard Drives Toshiba