R9 290, which manufacture is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NirHahs

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Im in a big dilemma about deciding which brand should i get for my r9 290, please do not suggest any other model as i only mentioned is r9 290, that was my final decision.
my target are MSI r9 290 gaming, Sapphire r9 290 tri-x, and Asus r9 290 DCUII (havent reach MY). I dont mind waitting for the stock

prefer speed, (i dont know which one is better whether core clock or memory clock), i dont mind about noise and temp. my speaker and room temp are beast to fight those

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Basically if you're going for reference card, get the cheapest one, since they're all the same, it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, if you're not going for reference card and you really want to get one of the cards you mentioned (ASUS DCUII, MSI TWIN FROZR or Sapphire TRI-x, I would go with Sapphire.

People are really satisfied with Sapphire's TRI-x 290 card, but it costs 30€ more (at least in Germany). Is it worth it? Well..that's up to you

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Wort has given you a good answer, I'd also want to point out though, although the Sapphire is one of the best 290's to get, they are extremely long cards so check your case before you buy.

Otherwise, I would advise the MSI.

D

Deleted member 362816

Pretty much personal opinion anymore, go for the card with the best cooler and the one that can overclock the best. If you are not overclocking get the highest stock clocked one you can afford.

NirHahs

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

the highest clock is gigabyte, but im not interested with that manufacture. which one have the best cooler among the 3 mentioned above?

NirHahs

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

why sapphire? does it offer a very satisfy performance?

MLP-RamzI

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Andys184

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
I have the Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC and I love it.

Make sure when you get it to press the fan button and the on switch in the back there's 2 buttons total before installing the card that must be on. Install latest driver of CCC and install MSI Afterburner for OC features and rivatuner will allow you to capture video gameplay or desktop video capture and it works a hell of a lot better than FRAPS.

Out of long research hours of planning and speculation I personally think the best card for the money is the Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC. The card may be long but you can fit it in a mid case just move the Hard Drive bays and you'll have plenty of room also allows more airflow in the case when you take them out. I have a HAF 912 case by Coolermaster. The card runs idle in the summer here in FL at 35c-40c degrees hasn't gone higher than 70c when gaming for a long period of time.

Oh one more thing they set the fan speed to 20% might want to increase it to mid/high 40s in Afterburner, don't mess with anything in CCC leave it be and also uncheck in video tab in CCC click global video and uncheck enforce smooth Video Playback and reinstall Adobe Flash Player or just get rid of it. There's more tweaks for a sure stable video card but you'll have to do the research yourself for the rest if you wish to Overclock overclock your card. Also get a 750watt PSU gold plus+ a 650w is pushing it. I choose Seasonic X series because of the warranty and very reliable with no surprises at all.

Good Luck.

Here's a screenshot below.
http://oi57.tinypic.com/jza179.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.