Solved

Should I run only SSD or a SSD + HDD combo?

I am looking at the Samsung 840 EVO model and am building a gaming rig. I see two options:

1) Get the 250 gb and pair it with a high rpm 320 gb HDD that I already own and only store game files on the SSD and Windows and Programs on the HDD

3) Get the 500 gb model and put everything on the SSD


My question comes from a lack of knowledge towards ease of set up and reliability.

Please help this first time builder?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about run ssd ssd hdd combo
  1. Get 120GB Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB hdd 64MB cache
  2. Well obviously the SSD is the better choice, amazing boot times and moving large files quickly is great. The choice you have to make is whether the money is worth it. Personally i have my OS and a few games on an SSD and put everything else on a HDD. Also that is a good choice of SSD, one of the best price to performance ratios.
  3. Stu 95 said:
    Well obviously the SSD is the better choice, amazing boot times and moving large files quickly is great. The choice you have to make is whether the money is worth it. Personally i have my OS and a few games on an SSD and put everything else on a HDD. Also that is a good choice of SSD, one of the best price to performance ratios.


    What size SSD are you running?
  4. Best answer
    I would opt for option (1). You can always add a bigger HDD at any time for little money. But it will depend on your personal use of storage. In my case, Most of my stuff would fit on a 250GB SSD. Anything else I could leave for my network drive. So consider the amount of data you store and your personal storage habits.
  5. Verlassene said:
    Stu 95 said:
    Well obviously the SSD is the better choice, amazing boot times and moving large files quickly is great. The choice you have to make is whether the money is worth it. Personally i have my OS and a few games on an SSD and put everything else on a HDD. Also that is a good choice of SSD, one of the best price to performance ratios.


    What size SSD are you running?


    Crucial M500 120gb.
  6. clutchc said:
    I would opt for option (1). You can always add a bigger HDD at any time for little money. But it will depend on your personal use of storage. In my case, Most of my stuff would fit on a 250GB SSD. Anything else I could leave for my network drive. So consider the amount of data you store and your personal storage habits.


    Upon reviewing my data usage on my other two systems I think 250 gb would be plenty thanks!
  7. I'm running the OS and all games on a single 250GB SSD with room to spare. If you can affort the 500GB tho, that would be the better.

    If you are also storing photos, movies, music on the machine, I'd go 250GB SSD plus a HDD.
  8. Verlassene said:
    clutchc said:
    I would opt for option (1). You can always add a bigger HDD at any time for little money. But it will depend on your personal use of storage. In my case, Most of my stuff would fit on a 250GB SSD. Anything else I could leave for my network drive. So consider the amount of data you store and your personal storage habits.


    Upon reviewing my data usage on my other two systems I think 250 gb would be plenty thanks!


    Let me add this... if you can afford the 500GB SSD, that would be even better. Just the most obscure stuff can be off loaded to the 350GB HDD then. When it fills up, add another or replace it with a bigger one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Samsung Evo Storage Hard Drives SSD PC gaming