Solved

Help me: Sound Devices shows numbers before name of device (2- Logitech G930 Headset)

I have been having an issue that is difficult to troubleshoot. Google hasn't yielded me any results - probably since I have no idea how to search for this issue.

I have a new USB enabled Logitech headset and I have plugged it into various USB ports during its use. I have noticed that for some reason, each new USB port it is plugged into causes the name of the device under Playback/Recording devices window to add a numeric prefix. First it was 2-, then 3-, and right now I have it coming up as 9- while plugged into a monitor USB port. What is going on? I am becoming increasingly OCD about this issue and it's driving me insane.




I have tried uninstalling the driver, but sadly, I can only uninstall the driver while its plugged in. I want to know if there's a way to go in and remove all the drivers or references to this device so I can start fresh? I have tried the trick which allows you to view hidden devices - that doesn't help since there's only one driver. Perhaps it is a registry entry keeping track of all the 'different' devices named Logitech G930 Headset? If that's the case, it'd make sense that it would have to increment a number each time it thinks a DIFFERENT device with the same name is connected. But is there a way to just clear all of this data out? Picture of issue included.

TL;DR; how do I remove the number that keeps appearing in front of my headset's name? It changes depending on what USB port the headset is plugged into.
Reply to Chase Quinnell
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sound devices shows numbers device logitech g930 headset
  1. Best answer
    That's perfectly normal for a USB plug and play device. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Reply to Alec Mowat
  2. While I am fully aware it is normal and functioning 'as intended,' I have to reiterate how irritating it is (I have a small case of OCD). Is there any way to eliminate this problem or atleast reset the "counter" to zero?
    Reply to Chase Quinnell
  3. It's intentional and cannot be changed.
    Reply to Alec Mowat
  4. if it is working why do you keep pulling out you are doing this your self every time you pull it out it will ad another one and no you can't remove them
    and there is only one way I know of to set it back to zero and that is reinstall your os and I dn't think you want to do that .... but then again how many times did Bart simson try to get the electrified cookie lol
    Reply to gigdog
  5. gigdog said:
    if it is working why do you keep pulling out you are doing this your self every time you pull it out it will ad another one and no you can't remove them
    and there is only one way I know of to set it back to zero and that is reinstall your os and I dn't think you want to do that .... but then again how many times did Bart simson try to get the electrified cookie lol


    I needed to move the headsst around physically. I dont generally keep it plugged in when not in use for the same reason many people unplug webcams or stick tape over the..
    Reply to Chase Quinnell
  6. right ok..... then you will just have to put up with it then won't you
    Reply to gigdog
  7. pleas don't reply
    Reply to gigdog
  8. gigdog said:
    right ok..... then you will just have to put up with it then won't you


    gigdog said:
    pleas don't reply


    If you didn't want a response, you shouldn't have posted. Your responses have been about as helpful as a Microsoft tech support agent. You added literally nothing to the topic that the poster before you hadn't already stated (and he stated it in a much more helpful manner). Maybe helping people isn't your lot in life?
    Reply to Chase Quinnell
  9. Chase Quinnell said:
    gigdog said:
    right ok..... then you will just have to put up with it then won't you


    gigdog said:
    pleas don't reply


    If you didn't want a response, you shouldn't have posted. Your responses have been about as helpful as a Microsoft tech support agent. You added literally nothing to the topic that the poster before you hadn't already stated (and he stated it in a much more helpful manner). Maybe helping people isn't your lot in life?
    Reply to gigdog
  10. I am sorry for brushing you off but there is no way to solve this
    and as you have stated your self you have tried every avenue
    to solve this with no result as it does not have a reset
    once again sorry I could not help you
    Reply to gigdog
  11. Chase Quinnell said:
    I have been having an issue that is difficult to troubleshoot. Google hasn't yielded me any results - probably since I have no idea how to search for this issue.

    I have a new USB enabled Logitech headset and I have plugged it into various USB ports during its use. I have noticed that for some reason, each new USB port it is plugged into causes the name of the device under Playback/Recording devices window to add a numeric prefix. First it was 2-, then 3-, and right now I have it coming up as 9- while plugged into a monitor USB port. What is going on? I am becoming increasingly OCD about this issue and it's driving me insane.




    I have tried uninstalling the driver, but sadly, I can only uninstall the driver while its plugged in. I want to know if there's a way to go in and remove all the drivers or references to this device so I can start fresh? I have tried the trick which allows you to view hidden devices - that doesn't help since there's only one driver. Perhaps it is a registry entry keeping track of all the 'different' devices named Logitech G930 Headset? If that's the case, it'd make sense that it would have to increment a number each time it thinks a DIFFERENT device with the same name is connected. But is there a way to just clear all of this data out? Picture of issue included.

    TL;DR; how do I remove the number that keeps appearing in front of my headset's name? It changes depending on what USB port the headset is plugged into.


    Thought I would reply to this even though it is an old thread as it was never properly solved and still shows up as a top result on Google for people troubleshooting this particular problem. Go into Device Manager, Select View>Show hidden devices, expand the Sound, video and game controllers branch and delete/uninstall all references to the offending sound card. Once you reboot, your card should be detected and re-installed properly without the offending "2-" designation. In my case I was only up to "2-", and could see two instances of my usb sound card, the first one was grayed out as it was now plugged into a different usb slot. I did this in Windows 10 but would assume the same fix works in 7 as well.
    Reply to jtf25x
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows 7 Gaming Headsets USB Devices Logitech