970 vs 990FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krister Arvesen

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I've been looking around a bit and I really can't decide on what motherboard to go with... I've heard that the only major difference between the 970 chipset and the 990FX is that the 990 supports SLI, and besides from that performance is pretty much the same... is this correct? and if it is then what 970 board is the best to pair with a FX-8350?

Solution

Yeah that Gigabyte board is just fine. :)
The Asus will overclock a LITTLE better, but its minor.
I do not like the blue either.
The main differences are mainly better quality and more reliable overclocking as well as SLI / crossfire that becomes possible.

You can get a 970 chipset board as long as its of decent quality. Avoid MSI 970 chipset board complete. The rest are mostly fine.
Among the best is the Asus m5a97 series of boards.

Krister Arvesen

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Is the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) a good and reliable board for overclocking? or will the Asus boards be better as they look like they have bigger heatsinks, but I can't understand what went through their heads over at Asus when they decided to give AMD boards a blue theme...

Yeah that Gigabyte board is just fine. :)
The Asus will overclock a LITTLE better, but its minor.
I do not like the blue either.

Solution

Krister Arvesen

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks alot for the help I might end up with the Asus board and save a little more by going with a non-windowed version of the Shinobi so nobody can see the blue ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.