Is This $2000 Revolt Gaming Rig Good?

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I'm saving up some bills and have almost got about $2300. I would like to purchase this costum built Revolt gaming rig: http://www.ibuypower.com/Carts

I'll list the Specs if you can't see them onn the screen.

Intel Core™ i5-4670K w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection

PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking

Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GBSingle Card

ASRock Z87E-ITX -- 4x USB 3.0, HDMI, DisplayPort, Wifi + Bluetooth

500 Watt - FSP 1U 80 Plus Gold Certificated Power Supply

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

6x BLU-RAY Reader + DVD±R/±RW Slot Load Combo Drive

802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [Revolt-B85]

Accessories (Like Windows)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel)64-Bit

Mighty Voltage Regulator - Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Maximum Capacity: 500Watts [$+20]

Warranty:

Three Year (3 Years Labor, 1 Year Parts) Standard Warranty

There's the entire list of specs! Do you think this could plug in to and HD 1920x1080p LED TV with RGB?

Thanks in advance!

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Also, how well do you think that this would work on Far Cry 3 On Ultra settings with 8x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anioscopic thiny-ma-jiger! (A gamer would probably know what im talking about. I cant remember the name off of the top of my head.)

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Those options are not available for a Revolt. Ita a quite new machine. I can only get 500 Watt (Thats why i got the regulator) And the next best GPU is Titan and that's way over my prive range.

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I did. It was 1250 but very sucky. Of course I could have gotten the 2200 one. This one is costum built. I accidently selected that as the best answer.

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012
You can build this same set up for ~$500 less ($1500), spending an extra $500 on a custom build will net you a much better machine. So if you think their time and the warranty is worth that $500 bucks, plus the diminished potential, go for it.

Shocking777

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
If you decided to build your own

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.66 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($724.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($174.97 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1929.53
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-28 09:50 EST-0500)

16GB RAM might not be useful now but as consoles now use 8GB of RAM 16GB will be futureproof and it is nade by Patriot a good brand.

780 Ti is the fastest single GPU almost catching up on Dual GPU if overclocked.

i5 4670k a good CPU and also with Corsair H-100i liquid cooling, probably the best liquid cooling right now.

760 Watt PSU by Seasonic, 80+ Platinum. It might handle two 780 Ti also.

250GB SSD, for your OS and couple of games for fast transfer rate.

Solution

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

This was a custom hand-picked machine that I chose all of the parts for. I trust thuis website and I cannot hand build all of the parts myself. But, I chose all of the parts myself. But, withmy system how I described now, how wouyld it stand up against Far Cry3 on Ultra settings?

First part: I Agree that you should make the PC yourself (First time i Did it It was with liquid cooling and Its been working since 2007 with no issues).
If you read A LOT online about PC building, you will see that the process is actually stupidly simple, its just scary at first becouse you obviously dont know how to do it.

Ofc you have to be carefull and take your time while building a PC, but its not rocket science. If you read all the manuals, if you ask in a few forums, and do the build well, YOu will have a Far better and safer PC than if you get one build by a company.

That beeing said, Far Cry 3 will run very nicely on that PC, but you will still have some FPS drops.
Thats due to the game coding beeing unefficient for PCs, so there is no way around that.

Finally, a question: Are you making a PC to be able to play just one game? Spending 2000 dollars to play 1 game?

I assume not, so it would be wise to either Test the PC vs the most demanding game/s out there or at least Tell use how long you expect to keep your PC.

There is a chance you could go with a lower end GPU, get a similar performance, and save up around 400 dollars for the next time you want to upgrade/build a new system.

Note that very high end GPUs dont have a great performance to price ratio. Normally cards like Nvidia 760/770 are very good still and cost one third of the flagship.

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

ALright. I've changed my GPU to a 760. How do you think it would stan to AmrA 3 on Ultra? (Im using demanding games like this as a base for a good PC.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_ti_review,25.html

This is crysis 3 (more demanding than farcry 3) at 2560x1440 in V. High quality (ultra basicly), and a 760 delivers 26 FPS.

26 is playable but above 40 would be best. At 1900x1080, it should be a walk in the park.

Battlefield 4 is 38 Frames at ultra with a 760... and also at 2560X1440... It should be above 60 in 1900x1080.

SO unless you really want 60+ FPS, I think you will be fine with a 760 (But hey, its your decision :D).

Final info you might be interested in:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_review,11.html

Farcry 3 performance on a 760. At ultra quality and some AA, 50 FPS at 1900x1200 (note its 1200, and nowdays most monitors are 1080, so it could be about 54 FPS).

For me that would be more than enought.
On the other hand, when people say future proof, they are guessing. There is no such thing as future proof. If in 3 months nvidia and AMD make a new GPU that is 80% faster, even the 780 TI will loose its value.
If they make a 10-20% increase in speed, than games will be playable for a while anyway.

In the future, you get more options:

1- Buy a new GPU that its faster for the cash you saved by going a lower card (usually the best option).
2- Add another 760 in SLI to boost performance (not the best idea but some ppl like it. google SLI vs Single card to find why)
3- Not upgrade at all as you are still happy with your perfornance even if you have to lower a games details a bit (Here is where i am at, with a 560 Ti, since i can play most modern games on high and the difference from high to very high is rather small for me).

Finally, bare in mind that those are not "minimum FPS" but averege FPS. Minimum FPS were popular in the past when games were well coded and they were an indication of a GPU quality and power, but nowdays it just shows how badly the games are coded :D.

xFallingRainex

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Yea. I changed to a 760 yesterday. Its price saves me enough to buy an i7 and still save more. Thanks for all of your replys, guys! I think i know what im going buy. I got hhe price down to 1450 with a 760 annd an i7 K 3.5gHZ.

He might get a better GPU and CPU, its just that unless he plans to stream, I dont see that much point in buying a more powerfull PC at this time.

Sure the new gen consoles are out and that might increase the requirements for PC games if they improve graphics, but that PC still beats next gen consoles, and if there is a huge improvment in graphics in the next 2-3 years, Im assuming we all will need to get new GPUs (except a 4 titan SLI for example).

I dont know what are the prices where he lives but in Poland the 780 Ti is about 3 times the price of a 760, and its performance is about 80% faster.

Now, obviously its just my opinion but getting something that is already powerfull enought (more than powerfull enought as far as i see it), and saving for the time that it makes more sense to upgrade seems like its a good idea rather than spending it all now and hoping It will be as good as its now for long.

Now, I DO agree with Shoking777 that if you are going to spend that money anyway, Id get the 780 TI and a 4670K, or at least a 770 and a 4670K.

Those Intels are beasts that are already too good, so Increasing your CPU power wont be as effective as increasing the GPU.
In my book: Id get I5-4670K and a 770 or a 760, and If then i feel like I need a bit more power, I would put the GPU in SLI (But then you will need a better PSU, and also worry about all the problems that SLI comes with, so better just wait for the next GPU generation).

Also, For a good PC i normally recommend going overkill with the PSU. The reason is becouse there is a lot of "theories out there" on how much actual power you will need, but I rather be safe than sorry on this department.

Id advice no less than 700W quality PSU (Silver quality at least and up).

Brands are good and all but its individual models that have to be checked as its impossible to predict when a model will be well done or not.

Ive been out of the game since 2008 in terms of PSU model quality (when i build my PC on a thermaltake 700W thoughpower PSU), so you are better of checking with someone who has kept up in that regard.

The reason you want more power than nesesary for your PC is for the folloing reasons:
1) The PSU will work at lower teperatures if its not on full load, giving it more life time, working quieter and reducing the chance of a failure when a higher voltage swing is required.
2) The prices are not that different. A 500W Good PSU can be a lot cheaper than a 700W good PSU, but we are still talking of low costs compared to the entire PC. Loosing your GPU or the CPU due to lack of power might be a lot more expensive.
3) A powerfull PSU will allow you to add more componenets later if you feel like it (Fans, leds, HDDS... they all take power, and you can sometimes stress a PSU too much with all things aded if its not well balanced).
4) A higher power PSU does not mean that it will automaticly draw more power from the socket wall. In fact, once a PSU reaches its 90% capacity the eficiency goes down the toilet in all but the TOP PSUs (And those do cost A lot).
A PSU running at 60% Has a higher probability at keeping eficient