Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

is 750W PSU enough for my build?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 28, 2014 5:33:46 AM

hey guys i'm building my first pc for video recording and editing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/3pTK
here's my rig, and I chose the SeaSonic 750W Gold PSU for my rig.

I'll only be using one GPU, the GeForce GTX 780.

Sometime in the future I might add in two more drives (ROG Front Base and another SSD)
Also, i'm going to add in two more 140mm fans for the case.


would the PSU take care of it? or should I get a higher watt one like 1250W?

More about : 750w psu build

January 28, 2014 5:35:30 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
hey guys i'm building my first pc for video recording and editing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/3pTK
here's my rig, and I chose the SeaSonic 750W Gold PSU for my rig.

I'll only be using one GPU, the GeForce GTX 780.

Sometime in the future I might add in two more drives (ROG Front Base and another SSD)
Also, i'm going to add in two more 140mm fans for the case.


would the PSU take care of it? or should I get a higher watt one like 1250W?


Yes that would be ideal, but if you plan going 780 SLI you will probably need to upgrade
m
0
l
January 28, 2014 5:37:52 AM

MurrayA said:
andrewkim9711 said:
hey guys i'm building my first pc for video recording and editing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/3pTK
here's my rig, and I chose the SeaSonic 750W Gold PSU for my rig.

I'll only be using one GPU, the GeForce GTX 780.

Sometime in the future I might add in two more drives (ROG Front Base and another SSD)
Also, i'm going to add in two more 140mm fans for the case.


would the PSU take care of it? or should I get a higher watt one like 1250W?


Yes that would be ideal, but if you plan going 780 SLI you will probably need to upgrade


SLI is having two or more GPUs right?
I won't be needing any more than one GPU so I think I'm good.

so 750W would be enough?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 28, 2014 5:39:53 AM

750W should be more than enough for your build.

600W is recommended for the GTX 780.

I you're having plans on getting another 780 in the future, Maybe 800 - 850W. But 750 should be enough for one 780.
m
0
l
January 28, 2014 5:41:22 AM

Blubberykollis said:
750W should be more than enough for your build.

600W is recommended for the GTX 780.

I you're having plans on getting another 780 in the future, Maybe 800 - 850W. But 750 should be enough for one 780.


does the GPU itself take 600W or the whole build?
what if the GPU takes 600W and other components such as the fans and CPU cooler, etc. take over more than 150 which would be more than 750w?
m
0
l
January 28, 2014 5:42:35 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
MurrayA said:
andrewkim9711 said:
hey guys i'm building my first pc for video recording and editing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/3pTK
here's my rig, and I chose the SeaSonic 750W Gold PSU for my rig.

I'll only be using one GPU, the GeForce GTX 780.

Sometime in the future I might add in two more drives (ROG Front Base and another SSD)
Also, i'm going to add in two more 140mm fans for the case.


would the PSU take care of it? or should I get a higher watt one like 1250W?


Yes that would be ideal, but if you plan going 780 SLI you will probably need to upgrade


SLI is having two or more GPUs right?
I won't be needing any more than one GPU so I think I'm good.

so 750W would be enough?

Yes SLI is linking two or more GPU's 750w will be fine for what you want, with power to spare
m
0
l
January 28, 2014 5:44:05 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
Blubberykollis said:
750W should be more than enough for your build.

600W is recommended for the GTX 780.

I you're having plans on getting another 780 in the future, Maybe 800 - 850W. But 750 should be enough for one 780.


does the GPU itself take 600W or the whole build?
what if the GPU takes 600W and other components such as the fans and CPU cooler, etc. take over more than 150 which would be more than 750w?


The whole build it self takes 600W. Without the GPU I'd say 400 - 500W. I don't know the TDP of the GPU. But it says 600W is enough for the card. So you should have no problems at all with 750W.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 28, 2014 5:47:04 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
Blubberykollis said:
750W should be more than enough for your build.

600W is recommended for the GTX 780.

I you're having plans on getting another 780 in the future, Maybe 800 - 850W. But 750 should be enough for one 780.


does the GPU itself take 600W or the whole build?
what if the GPU takes 600W and other components such as the fans and CPU cooler, etc. take over more than 150 which would be more than 750w?


the 780 TI takes around 220w and you motherboard and processor will take around 300w, you will be fine with the 750w
Share
January 28, 2014 5:51:56 AM

andrewkim9711 said:
MurrayA said:
andrewkim9711 said:
hey guys i'm building my first pc for video recording and editing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/3pTK
here's my rig, and I chose the SeaSonic 750W Gold PSU for my rig.

I'll only be using one GPU, the GeForce GTX 780.

Sometime in the future I might add in two more drives (ROG Front Base and another SSD)
Also, i'm going to add in two more 140mm fans for the case.


would the PSU take care of it? or should I get a higher watt one like 1250W?


Yes that would be ideal, but if you plan going 780 SLI you will probably need to upgrade


SLI is having two or more GPUs right?
I won't be needing any more than one GPU so I think I'm good.

so 750W would be enough?


Nvidia recommends a system powersupply of 600watts (for the entire system) with a minimum of 42Amp. on the +12Volt rail, with one 6-pin and 1 8-pin PCI-Ex power connectors.
The Seasonic has the two required power connectors and with 62amps on the 12V it more then meets the minimum requirements.
So, you are good to go with that build, and as per power you will have a good bit in reserve for additional hard drives, fans, etc. If you stay with one card, maybe even a little overclocking.
m
0
l
January 28, 2014 5:53:51 AM

Okay I am here, if you are not going to have more than 1 GPU I suggest you to stick with 600W. You can look into the Seasonic 620W PSU, it is very good and has good efficiency.. Usually the 780GTX doesnt take more than 450W if you use it to highest potential. To tell you in detail, put your build here and check you will know the optimum power required.
m
0
l
!