I'm on the market for an Ultrabook for work/school/home use. Battery life, CPU power and weight are important factors in my decision.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13.3" or less
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080P FHD, mini-HDMI/HDMI output is a must for home use with external monitor (1080P)
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a portable laptop. The lighter, the better.
5. How much battery life do you need?
5 hours +
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-I will only play the occasional low-demanding game from Steam, as I have a dedicated gaming rig for the more demanding titles (games to played like Starbound, Rogue Legacy, Diablo 3, Spelunky HD, etc.). Low-Med would be fine, though High is always preferable if its within my budget means (as long as the weight/battery life isn't drastically shifted negatively).
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-Video encoding/conversion, video streaming, photo editing via Photoshop/Lightroom, heavy multitasking through multiple tabs and windows on Firefox/Chrome/Excel/Word/Powerpoint (most extreme cases, all open).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-As long as it supports 2.5" SSD Sata III, storage is meaningless, I will immediately replace the drive with my own 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Drive.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-Other canadian retail/online vendors, such as Futureshop & BestBuy
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-No need for optical drive.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
HP (heat and driver issues)
Acer (cheap hardware)
Dell (I generally don't like Dell designs or their aesthetics, unless there is a viable well-built option)
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-2.5" SSD Sata III support is a must
-Intel Core i7 is preferred, due to my multitasking and CPU-threaded needs
-Weight factor is very important (Sony Vaio 13 Pro, Macbook Air, Asus Zenbook types)
-Weight > CPU performance > Battery Life > GPU performance, in that order.
Thanks for your help!
More about :light gaming light weight multitasking ultrabook