FX-6300 - Safe to OC to 3.7GHz at 1.4V on stock cooler?

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
It appears to be working fine as of right now, and it's been OC'd for about 20 minutes. Just not sure if I should return to stock clock until I buy the Hyper 212 Evo like I plan on doing soon

Solution
Agreed with Whitesnake, there's really no point since it turbos further than 3.7 anyway. If your temps on your cores are exceeding 62c and 70c on the socket then you should go back to stock.

From the way you worded it, it doesn't seem as if you have a testing methodology. Here's a guide to get you started if you're not sure how: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Also what's your motherboard? Many motherboards are not suited to overclocking.
Agreed with Whitesnake, there's really no point since it turbos further than 3.7 anyway. If your temps on your cores are exceeding 62c and 70c on the socket then you should go back to stock.

From the way you worded it, it doesn't seem as if you have a testing methodology. Here's a guide to get you started if you're not sure how: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Also what's your motherboard? Many motherboards are not suited to overclocking.

Solution
Be aware that although it isn't a bad cooler, the Hyper212 EVO is a bang/buck LOSER compared to any number of other 120mm tower coolers that offer similar performance for a lower price. NZXT, Gammax, and Xigmatek (I use the Gaia myself, although its price was recently jacked) all are similar but cost up to 28% less.

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I didn't use any popular means of testing stability, I kinda just played some Minecraft with intense Shaders enabled to see how well I could get the game to run. It worked fine, and ran at about 46 degrees Celsius on average, peaking at 49 degrees once. I keep my air flow in my build very efficient, with some strategic fan placement (fancy way of saying I have fans lol) so it stays pretty damn cool in there. My Motherboard by the way is a GA-970A-D3P. I've read that the AMD 970 Chipset is not the best at overclocking, but it is very much possible, even though 990FX is much better at the task

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I only considered the Evo because it is supposed to be pretty good, regardless of other options. I will look into other options for after market cooling, the Evo was just my first choice

The EVO gets parroted a lot. I'm not saying it's bad, but other 120mm tower coolers offer similar performance (+/- 1C-3C depending on who tested, and how; EVO loses as many as it wins, but it's all close) and are cheaper, which is my point.