8320 minor OC getting high temps

Syntha91

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
So I just recently upgraded to the 8320 and went to follow this guide from OC.net to you know overclock

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

And am getting high temps after running Prime95 for about a minute. Temps being about 74C, decided i didnt want to permanently damage the chip or MOBO so I stopped the program.

system specs:
FX8320
ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0
Enermax ETS T40-TB Air Cooler
HD6870
12gigs of ram forgot what the make is
Antec Lanboy Case with open side panel and a table fan blowing into the system
Rosewell 500W PSU

I know that having an open case probably isnt ideal but it is what i have to work with at the moment. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as to why my core temps are hitting above 70C.

Note that this issue does not arise when i leave everything in the bios stock and change the CPU Multiplier to 20 obtaining 4.0GHz I will get maybe 40C using Prime95 on small FFTs. However, if i follow the guide from OC.net and do the same multiplier the temps go beyond 70C.

Solution
So 2x2gb is impossible to run in dual channel?

On topic, you temps seem a bit high. Not even 1.4 in vcore and still hit temps over 70 is kind of odd. If the pic above is the OC you used. The link had several guides. hard to know witch one you used.

If you had the vcore around 1.5 on air, then I would say it´s natural. Otherwise, since turbo almost gives you 4GHz stock, 4GHz OC with a aftermarket cooler shopud not give you those temps.

Syntha91

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
No particular reason, I had 4 gigs of ram sitting around figured it wouldn't hurt performance issues with the computer. If thats the case I can just pull them out.

edit: i actually just took it out and realized it was running single channel, newbie mistake

AlbusDlx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
So 2x2gb is impossible to run in dual channel?

On topic, you temps seem a bit high. Not even 1.4 in vcore and still hit temps over 70 is kind of odd. If the pic above is the OC you used. The link had several guides. hard to know witch one you used.

If you had the vcore around 1.5 on air, then I would say it´s natural. Otherwise, since turbo almost gives you 4GHz stock, 4GHz OC with a aftermarket cooler shopud not give you those temps.

Solution

AlbusDlx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I have the 8320 as well. Had it running on 4.7GHz 24/7, never hitting 60c with an H60 cooler with 2 noctua pwm fans. It is much better to have decent fans in the CLOSED case =) You strive to get a nice pressure in the case.