Solved

500 watt PSU enough for a R9 270x?

Specs: AMD FX 8320, 8 gigs of ram @ 1600Mhz, MSI 760gma-p34(FX), 1 tb Western Digital caviar blue, and currently a GTX 650, Allied DL-500exp 500 WATT PSU. I've seen this set-up( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxH6sVt3mk ) on a be-quite 500 watt so i was wondering if i could handle it.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 500 watt psu 270x
  1. Yes it should be enough
  2. Best answer
    A GOOD 500W would be fine. That Allied PSU looks like a hunk of junk. They don't tell you the combined 12V Amperage, and it only has a 1 year warranty. standard is 3-5 years. its most likely 350W on the 12V and at best 400W. I wouldn't use it in any system.
  3. I'm sorry I researched the B-Quiet. I didn't notice until unksol made his comments. I would agree with him by the way.
  4. jnkweaver said:
    I'm sorry I researched the B-Quiet. I didn't notice until unksol made his comments. I would agree with him by the way.

i could just go with a 270 non x and be fine right?
  5. The 270 uses less power but I have no idea what your supply can output. There are no reviews for it and it isn't in the manufacturer database which makes it a generic supply. I never recommend using a generic supply.
  6. jnkweaver said:
    The 270 uses less power but I have no idea what your supply can output. There are no reviews for it and it isn't in the manufacturer database which makes it a generic supply. I never recommend using a generic supply.

according to HWmonitor my PSU outputs 9.8v on the 12volt rail and my card is getting .975 constantly. and on the side of it it say with the Voltage and Current boxes says it adds up to 480watts
  7. Matthew Perkins said:
    jnkweaver said:
    The 270 uses less power but I have no idea what your supply can output. There are no reviews for it and it isn't in the manufacturer database which makes it a generic supply. I never recommend using a generic supply.

according to HWmonitor my PSU outputs 9.8v on the 12volt rail and my card is getting .975 constantly.

If that is right and you are only getting 9.8v on the 12v rail then throw out that psu now.
  8. jnkweaver said:
    Matthew Perkins said:
    jnkweaver said:

according to HWmonitor my PSU outputs 9.8v on the 12volt rail and my card is getting .975 constantly.

If that is right and you are only getting 9.8v on the 12v rail then throw out that psu now.

on the side of it it say with the Voltage and Current boxes says it adds up to 480watts
  9. give me the stats for the 12v
  10. jnkweaver said:
    give me the stats for the 12v

people are saying not to trust the software voltage reads but 9.8 on the 12v 1.425 on processor ,975 on GPU
  11. Does the psu have a card on the side that tells you what the output on the 12V rail is suppose to be i.e 18A (gives the max amperage on the 12V rail)?
  12. jnkweaver said:
    Does the psu have a card on the side that tells you what the output on the 12V rail is suppose to be i.e 18A (gives the max amperage on the 12V rail)?

Under the "CURRENT" box it says MAX DC 3.3v and the other column says 5v below those it says OUTPUT and has 24a in each column
  13. What about the 12V rail? It may have a 12V1 and 12V2 and a amperage under it buy usually has a max wattage for just the 12V rail.
Ask a new question

Read More

Western Digital Graphics