Solved

Very Low FPS on a High End Gaming Computer

Hello,

So I just recently put together my first High-End Gaming Desktop PC yet I am noticing insufficient frames on games while running on various settings.
My Specs;
Vishera 8350 4.0ghz AMD proccessor
AMD R9 290 4gb GPU
ASUS Crosshair v-Formula Z motherboard
2x4 1600 DDR3 Ram
(1920x1080p) 60hz LED Monitor

The problem is that I have updated everything to the latest drivers (at least from what I am aware of) and yet I am to see a large improvement in frames.

Some examples of frame rate on max & lowest settings (1920x1080p)
ArmA III: 20-26 FPS
DayZ: 25-30 FPS
Payday 2: 130 FPS
Red Orchestra 2: 40 FPS
Minecraft: 50 FPS

GPU Temp idle: 40-50C
While gaming: 75-80C

In addition to these specs, for most games, I.e ArmA III, it doesn't matter what the quality of the graphics is, so regardless of the quality, I will always get the same frame rate, perhaps a tiny bit more or less.

Also, I doubt it's mostly from the lack of optimization from ArmA/DayZ considering I know atleast 5 people who bearly have half my setup and are still surpassing my frame rate.
However, my GPU is in the second PCI-E slot. I am aware that this is not the best idea for max FPS but I don't have too much space in my case. Regardless, it doesn't change FPS too much at all...as far as I know.

If anyone is wondering,
-my GPU is on the second (8x) slot contrast to the first (16x) slot. I doubt that is the problem, but please inform me otherwise.
-While gaming, my CPU usually only reaches about 50-60% max. I'm not sure how to check the GPU usage on Windows 8.1.
Please assist me as this is very frustrating knowing that I just spent well over a grand for a machine that should be able to run practically every game on max settings with excess FPS.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about low fps high end gaming computer
  1. Well, you do have a very nice build. You should play all of those games very well. The only thing I don't see listed is the PSU. What is the make and model of your power supply?

    To monitor GPU usage, you can use a few programs to do that. I personally like GPU-Z.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
  2. barto said:
    Well, you do have a very nice build. You should play all of those games very well. The only thing I don't see listed is the PSU. What is the make and model of your power supply?

    To monitor GPU usage, you can use a few programs to do that. I personally like GPU-Z.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/


    My PSU is a 750 watt, it seems to be working, hence the power, but the fan is actually frozen. It basically doesn't work. I've tried to activate it through the bios but there was no information about a PSU's fan. I'm unsure as to whether that matters or not but my GPU runs at about 25% max load with a 590 max core clock. Is there anything else I should provide you with?
  3. Well, that's enough wattage for the system you have. But again, what is the make and model? Wattage isn't the most important thing. Quality and efficiency is.
  4. barto said:
    Well, that's enough wattage for the system you have. But again, what is the make and model? Wattage isn't the most important thing. Quality and efficiency is.


    Believe me, it's good quality, I doubt that is the issue. Like I said, fan is out. Do you think that may contribute to the issue in any manner? What about the PCI-E slot?
  5. ArcherC said:
    Believe me, it's good quality, I doubt that is the issue. Like I said, fan is out. Do you think that may contribute to the issue in any manner? What about the PCI-E slot?


    Lol. Well the fan not moving could mean two things: 1) Fan is broken or 2) Your PSU has a silent mode feature. My Corsair HX has this feature where depending on the temperature and load on the PSU, the fan will be Off or On. Again, I'd need to know the make and model to tell you that.

    As for the PCIe slot, there shouldn't be a major performance difference between x8 and x16. We're talking about a 1-5% difference which may not even be noticeable. However, you should always put the GPU in the top PCIe slot.
  6. barto said:
    ArcherC said:
    Believe me, it's good quality, I doubt that is the issue. Like I said, fan is out. Do you think that may contribute to the issue in any manner? What about the PCI-E slot?


    Lol. Well the fan not moving could mean two things: 1) Fan is broken or 2) Your PSU has a silent mode feature. My Corsair HX has this feature where depending on the temperature and load on the PSU, the fan will be Off or On. Again, I'd need to know the make and model to tell you that.

    As for the PCIe slot, there shouldn't be a major performance difference between x8 and x16. We're talking about a 1-5% difference which may not even be noticeable. However, you should always put the GPU in the top PCIe slot.


    Well, despite the fan, what could be causing inefficient performance? Perhaps I have bad driver versions or maybe I don't have all the necessary ones?
  7. Well it always helps newer cards to be seated in the x16 slot.
  8. barto said:
    Well, despite the fan, what could be causing inefficient performance? Perhaps I have bad driver versions or maybe I don't have all the necessary ones?


    I'd hate to think you wouldn't have the correct drivers for older games. You can try different ones. Other than that, with the information you provided me, everything looks good.
  9. There is a PCIE 2 x4 slot on the board if the card is in that it could be the problem, what are the CPU temps?
  10. ArcherC said:

    Some examples of frame rate on max & lowest settings (1920x1080p)
    ArmA III: 20-26 FPS
    DayZ: 25-30 FPS
    Payday 2: 130 FPS
    Red Orchestra 2: 40 FPS
    Minecraft: 50 FPS

    I don't know about Payday 2 or Red Orchestra 2, but ArmA, DayZ and Mincraft are almost entirely CPU based games. That is why lowering your settings has no effect on your performance. These are completely CPU bound, and to make matters worse, they are very thread limited. That means they need a fast CPU on a core basis. That means AMD CPU's are not good on those games.

    Can you monitor your CPU usage per core? There is likely a single thread that is hitting near max usage, and if you monitor your GPU, you'll likely see very little usage on those games with such low FPS.
  11. Best answer
    ArcherC said:
    Hello,

    So I just recently put together my first High-End Gaming Desktop PC yet I am noticing insufficient frames on games while running on various settings.
    My Specs;
    Vishera 8350 4.0ghz AMD proccessor
    AMD R9 290 4gb GPU
    ASUS Crosshair v-Formula Z motherboard
    2x4 1600 DDR3 Ram
    (1920x1080p) 60hz LED Monitor

    The problem is that I have updated everything to the latest drivers (at least from what I am aware of) and yet I am to see a large improvement in frames.

    Some examples of frame rate on max & lowest settings (1920x1080p)
    ArmA III: 20-26 FPS
    DayZ: 25-30 FPS
    Payday 2: 130 FPS
    Red Orchestra 2: 40 FPS
    Minecraft: 50 FPS

    GPU Temp idle: 40-50C
    While gaming: 75-80C

    In addition to these specs, for most games, I.e ArmA III, it doesn't matter what the quality of the graphics is, so regardless of the quality, I will always get the same frame rate, perhaps a tiny bit more or less.

    Also, I doubt it's mostly from the lack of optimization from ArmA/DayZ considering I know atleast 5 people who bearly have half my setup and are still surpassing my frame rate.
    However, my GPU is in the second PCI-E slot. I am aware that this is not the best idea for max FPS but I don't have too much space in my case. Regardless, it doesn't change FPS too much at all...as far as I know.

    If anyone is wondering,
    -my GPU is on the second (8x) slot contrast to the first (16x) slot. I doubt that is the problem, but please inform me otherwise.
    -While gaming, my CPU usually only reaches about 50-60% max. I'm not sure how to check the GPU usage on Windows 8.1.
    Please assist me as this is very frustrating knowing that I just spent well over a grand for a machine that should be able to run practically every game on max settings with excess FPS.


    bystander said:
    ArcherC said:

    Some examples of frame rate on max & lowest settings (1920x1080p)
    ArmA III: 20-26 FPS
    DayZ: 25-30 FPS
    Payday 2: 130 FPS
    Red Orchestra 2: 40 FPS
    Minecraft: 50 FPS

    I don't know about Payday 2 or Red Orchestra 2, but ArmA, DayZ and Mincraft are almost entirely CPU based games. That is why lowering your settings has no effect on your performance. These are completely CPU bound, and to make matters worse, they are very thread limited. That means they need a fast CPU on a core basis. That means AMD CPU's are not good on those games.

    Can you monitor your CPU usage per core? There is likely a single thread that is hitting near max usage, and if you monitor your GPU, you'll likely see very little usage on those games with such low FPS.


    Have you tried unparking your cores? AMD CPU's benefit from this immensely, sometimes gaining 60+ FPS in CPU bound games. I know this from personal experience on my Althon II X4 750k Black Edition, I unparked and gained slightly less in such games (20-30 FPS) but that's due to my CPU model. Your model should gain much much more than mine. There is a util to do this with which I'll link to which does all the work for you but if you want I can get you a tutorial on how to manually do it through the registry. As for your GPU temps those are perfectly normal for the 290x, that thing loves to push it with temps. Also check your CPU temps in priticular, use something like HWMonitor and post your average while under load here.

    Link to the util: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

    Its very simple to use just follow the instructions on the site.
  12. ArcherC said:
    Hello,

    So I just recently put together my first High-End Gaming Desktop PC yet I am noticing insufficient frames on games while running on various settings.
    My Specs;
    Vishera 8350 4.0ghz AMD proccessor
    AMD R9 290 4gb GPU
    ASUS Crosshair v-Formula Z motherboard
    2x4 1600 DDR3 Ram
    (1920x1080p) 60hz LED Monitor

    The problem is that I have updated everything to the latest drivers (at least from what I am aware of) and yet I am to see a large improvement in frames.

    Some examples of frame rate on max & lowest settings (1920x1080p)
    ArmA III: 20-26 FPS
    DayZ: 25-30 FPS
    Payday 2: 130 FPS
    Red Orchestra 2: 40 FPS
    Minecraft: 50 FPS

    GPU Temp idle: 40-50C
    While gaming: 75-80C

    In addition to these specs, for most games, I.e ArmA III, it doesn't matter what the quality of the graphics is, so regardless of the quality, I will always get the same frame rate, perhaps a tiny bit more or less.

    Also, I doubt it's mostly from the lack of optimization from ArmA/DayZ considering I know atleast 5 people who bearly have half my setup and are still surpassing my frame rate.
    However, my GPU is in the second PCI-E slot. I am aware that this is not the best idea for max FPS but I don't have too much space in my case. Regardless, it doesn't change FPS too much at all...as far as I know.

    If anyone is wondering,
    -my GPU is on the second (8x) slot contrast to the first (16x) slot. I doubt that is the problem, but please inform me otherwise.
    -While gaming, my CPU usually only reaches about 50-60% max. I'm not sure how to check the GPU usage on Windows 8.1.
    Please assist me as this is very frustrating knowing that I just spent well over a grand for a machine that should be able to run practically every game on max settings with excess FPS.


    Get a high end Laptop.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Gaming FPS