Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Can't Find my WD Caviar Black 1TB (Already Looked at the Sticky)

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • Caviar
Last response: in Storage
January 29, 2014 3:46:00 PM

Ok so I just installed my WD Black and connected everything (SATA III 6GB/s and power) and it isn't showing up in the BIOS or computer management and I'm pretty worried. My motherboard is the Asus Maximus VI Hero. Any suggestions?

More about : find caviar black 1tb looked sticky

Best solution

January 29, 2014 3:47:34 PM

The hard drive might be dead. try installing it in a different computer to see if the motherboard detects it in BIOS. When the system is powered on, is the hard drive spinning along with it or is there nothing at all? If everything is properly plugged in (power/sata cable) and the hard drive isn't spinning, chances are the drive is toast or SATA cable is defective.
Share
January 29, 2014 3:49:08 PM

MrJohnnyLy said:
the hard drive might be dead. try installing it in a different computer to see if the motherboard detects it in BIOS


I don't exactly have access to a secondary PC and I highly doubt it's dead.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 29, 2014 3:51:05 PM

did you try plugging it into other SATA ports on the mobo? I edited my post, so check the hard drive when the system is powered on to see if the drives are spinning.
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 3:52:15 PM

MrJohnnyLy said:
did you try plugging it into other SATA ports on the mobo? I edited my post, so check the hard drive when the system is powered on to see if the drives are spinning.


I'll try.
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 3:54:36 PM

if you have a spare sata cable lying around too, definitely swap that out as well. That way you can at least eliminate a defective SATA cable.
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 3:56:29 PM

MrJohnnyLy said:
if you have a spare sata cable lying around too, definitely swap that out as well. That way you can at least eliminate a defective SATA cable.


It's spinning, but still a no show in computer management.
Edit: and the BIOS :/ 
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 4:01:29 PM

do you have a spare hard drive lying around that you can test to see if the motherboard might be defective? When you tried the hard drive on each of the SATA ports, is the system still unable to detect the hard drive?
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 4:08:48 PM

MrJohnnyLy said:
do you have a spare hard drive lying around that you can test to see if the motherboard might be defective? When you tried the hard drive on each of the SATA ports, is the system still unable to detect the hard drive?


I've only tried the drive on one other port and I'm certain my mobo isn't defective because I have 2 working SSDs installed.
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 4:11:44 PM

if you tried it with a different SATA cable and it's still not being detected, then your hard drive is defective. Sure if power is getting to the drive and the hard drive spins, there might be internal damage in the drive itself rendering the system unable to detect the hard drive. If the hard drive is under warranty, go through Western Digital's Replacement service page and get the drive RMA'd.
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 4:18:32 PM

MrJohnnyLy said:
if you tried it with a different SATA cable and it's still not being detected, then your hard drive is defective. Sure if power is getting to the drive and the hard drive spins, there might be internal damage in the drive itself rendering the system unable to detect the hard drive. If the hard drive is under warranty, go through Western Digital's Replacement service page and get the drive RMA'd.


Ok I'll probably do this after testing all the SATA ports and a different cable.
m
0
l
a c 1306 G Storage
January 29, 2014 4:22:44 PM

yes, swap the hdd port with one of the ports a working ssd is in and see what happens.

edit - two ssd's?
Are they in a raid?
m
0
l
January 29, 2014 4:29:27 PM

popatim said:
yes, swap the hdd port with one of the ports a working ssd is in and see what happens.

edit - two ssd's?
Are they in a raid?


Even if the drives are in a software RAID configuration, the individual drive should still be detected, no?
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 10:56:27 PM

UPDATE: Drive was dead. Replaced and now it shows up.
m
0
l