FX 8350 OC temperature spikes at 65C

TanquerayGnT

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I have overclocked my CPU and it's current voltage is at 1.48V

It passes prime 95 test and everything seems stable and smooth. However, when I'm opening something big, like Battlefield 4, CPU temperature, momentarily spikes up to 65C-68C and comes back down. This spike is momentary and the temperature returns to 30C-50C range during gaming and 20C during idle.

Should I be concerned about this brief temperature spikes into high 60C?

I'm currently using Thermaltake Water 3.0 and I'm debating if I should get another watercooling kit with a bigger radiator that has dual side-by-side fan configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Using HWMonitor the temp you should be looking at is the package or core temp underneath your processor model. CPU temp on most motherboard sensors is actually the socket temp and not the actual temp of the CPU. I am betting that it's just the socket temp your getting as the CPU should fail safe and shut itself down if the temp reaches 62c or so.

HWMonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

killakallies

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Using HWMonitor the temp you should be looking at is the package or core temp underneath your processor model. CPU temp on most motherboard sensors is actually the socket temp and not the actual temp of the CPU. I am betting that it's just the socket temp your getting as the CPU should fail safe and shut itself down if the temp reaches 62c or so.

HWMonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Solution

TanquerayGnT

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

It spikes for 2 to 3 seconds and comes down. Sometimes, it reaches 69C for brief 1 to 2 seconds, but only when opening a large application.

TanquerayGnT

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I am using HWMonitor and I'm talking about the core temp not socket temp.

Max temp the socket reached was 65C and CPpackage temp was 68C (never stays this more than 2 seconds)

Should I invest in a dual fan radiator closed loop water cooling?

G

i dont think you need to worry much...this looks more like a software/hardware(for detecting temperatures) problem to me because simple logic states that it does take a reasonable amount of time for the temp of a substance to rise up and another reasonable amt of time for it to fall down...and not 2-3 secs...