500 Bad sectors on 1 TB Drive. Is it dying?

peter grey

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
So I just installed hard disk sentinel and it tells me this: http://s22.postimg.org/wte14f4dd/Capture.jpg

Basically it has found almost 500 bad sectors, but the drive is at 100% performance. It never really made any problems for me, except being a bit loud when writing, but it has been like that since I got the pc about 4 years ago, it hasn't become any louder. It's a Hitachi disk, and I read that they are notorious for being loud.

So, should I be worried? Is the disk failing? I have almost 650 gb of valuable data, it's going to be a bitch backing that up and I don't really want to buy a new HDD if I don't have to.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
backing up is cheap and smart, especially if you only have sub-1T of data to do. and you DID say your backup was valuable. so, is it really valuable? :p

I've not had a drive show that low of a health, though. my Seagate 7200.11 that I still use is at 65% or so after 4 years, and another 7200.11 was around 40% (same age) so I took that one apart just to see how they're made. i'm guessing that the 7200.11 that i'm still using will work fine for another 2-3 years as a scratch drive, good for thrashing and tossing data around on it.

and yeah, I guess hitachi old drives are quite good - I've had a hitachi laptop drive used in a desktop since around 2007 and while slow, it works really well and doesn't show bad health. it's also fairly quiet, so... I dunno. maybe the noise is indicative of the heads having to move far more than they'd like to.