770 SLI vs 1 780

Talmok

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I'm in the process of trying to work out what parts to use to put together a gaming PC. (Most game are the likes of LoL, BF4, ESO/TES games, CS, TF2, Minecraft etc)

When it comes to GPU I just have one question, is it better to get 2 770's for SLI or to get a single 780 now, then possibly get a 2nd 780 later down the road (summertime, if the price drops)?

It was between:

I currently own a BenQ G2420HD -1920x1080 monitor and will probably continue to use this. If I don't I'd just be getting a new 1920x1080 monitor of some sort but I'm not bothered for now. So for now / first few months it'll just be single 1080p monitor.

I'm not an upgrade nut so this build will probably be doing me for the next 5 years or so.

If you want a link to the rest of the build gimme a shout. Also, just to mention I'm from the UK, and both options would fit in my budget, thought not 2 780 atm.

Solution
At 1080P, you are not going to stress either setup. That being said, a single card setup is always preferrable to a SLI or crossfire setup. Get the highest performing single card you can afford, then if you need more horsepower in the future, look at the SLI or crossfire setups.
At 1080P, you are not going to stress either setup. That being said, a single card setup is always preferrable to a SLI or crossfire setup. Get the highest performing single card you can afford, then if you need more horsepower in the future, look at the SLI or crossfire setups.

Solution
Well 780 will take you farther and the ability to sli later will yield higher results. The 770 is an amazing card(re badged 680) but it isnt as fast as the 780. At 1080p I would do a single 780 then a year or so from now get another and sli it.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I would get a single 780 as 2GB VRAM is not sufficient these days, especially above 1920 x 1080. SLI 770's would be faster, but if you hit the VRAM limit it will cause you performance problems.

can you strech to 4 GB 770's?

Talmok

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks for the quick replies! Wasn't completely sure, as the 780 was my original thought but a few people suggested looking into SLI so I thought I'd come here after reading up =)

Talmok

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
My old man just got the evga 780sc acx model and he is getting 90-110 fps in bf4 on ultra and he loves the card.

EVGA 780 w/ACX was one of the cards I was considering, between it and the Asus 780 DirectCU II .

From what I read there wasn't that much difference between them, the EVGA had slightly better performance, though it was minimal, while the Asus as quieter and cooler.

It was basically down to which one was nicer looking really. UNless there's something I'm missing? I won't be ordering for a few weeks, so I have time to jig things about.

Talmok

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hmm, I'm never sure whether there is actually that big a difference or not between them, or how to really find out as I've never had experience with either so far, and so I've been in two minds about the Asus DirectCU II vs the EVGA w/ AXC =/

Malkancer

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
I'm trying to sell my GTX580, then ... i will buy a new gtx780 and i have the same doubts, which GTX780 choose to add to my PC?
I have a i7-4770k, Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 8GB, Asus Maximus VI Gene. Right now i have a 24" 60HZ monitor, but i will buy a new one 120HZ in few months.

Asus DirectCU II
EVGA w/ AXC
Inno3D iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra

Looking some reviews there are a little differences.
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4639/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-asus-vs-evga-vs-inno3d-vs-msi
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-780-evga-gigabyte-inno3d.html

Asus DirectCU II + Better noise level / idle, + better overclocking potential
EVGA w/ AXC - expensive, + 3 warranty years
Inno3D iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra + Best Cooler, + little better FPS, - 3 slots (i don't care)

I will buy the Inno3D or Asus DirectCU II,the most cheaper of both in my country, i prefer lower temperatures

I dont know of many cards that overclock better than the evga cards. Specially classified models. The acx cooler to my knowledge is the best 2 fan gpu cooler out right now. My card under full load is BARELY noticeable. Sometimes I have problems distinguishing the gpu from the case fans. Eithrr way asus or evga both are great choices.