7870 vs r9 270 x

Flyingfish

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hi
I cant dicide between die 7870 and the r9 270x . I noticed th r9 270x is a bit more powerfull but need a big power supply . A have a 500 w at the moment.
What would be the best
Thanks

Solution
No, 500W isn't always enough for a 7870 or 290x. In my system with my 4 hard drives and all the other devices I run, liquid cooling, etc., I haven't installed a dedicated graphics card yet and the system already requires a bare minimum of 515W. I can run the 7870 with a 630W power supply, no less.

Like I said, it depends on what all you have plugged into your system that draws power, and your mileage may vary. You can do it on 500w if you only have one HDD and not much else plugged in. Quality of the PSU notwithstanding, the amount of power it provides and the amount your system needs has to be balanced. It doesn't matter if you have a high quality one or not. A high quality AAA battery isn't going to power my office paper shredder...

rhapdog

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Depending on what ever else you have set up running in your system, 500w may not be enough for either one. You didn't give any other specs, so hard to tell.

If price is an issue, I'd say go with the 7870. If you don't mind spending more, then get a better power supply before you get either one.

Visit http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and figure out how much power your system will need, and try it with each graphics card option to see if they are available for you with your current power supply. If there isn't enough power for them, then get the power supply and buy a graphics card down the road, or get a less power hungry graphics card.

diec4st

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Both will work easily on a quality 500W PSU (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc.). The 270X is just a 7870 with higher memory clock. My Gigabyte 7870 @ 1200/1400 is faster than any 270X out there so if the R9 is more expensive, get the 7870 and you won't be disapointed. Hope that helped.

rhapdog

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
No, 500W isn't always enough for a 7870 or 290x. In my system with my 4 hard drives and all the other devices I run, liquid cooling, etc., I haven't installed a dedicated graphics card yet and the system already requires a bare minimum of 515W. I can run the 7870 with a 630W power supply, no less.

Like I said, it depends on what all you have plugged into your system that draws power, and your mileage may vary. You can do it on 500w if you only have one HDD and not much else plugged in. Quality of the PSU notwithstanding, the amount of power it provides and the amount your system needs has to be balanced. It doesn't matter if you have a high quality one or not. A high quality AAA battery isn't going to power my office paper shredder, even if I get the best brand out there. Just check the calculator to make sure.

I'm not saying you don't have enough, I'm just saying not every 500w build can handle it, so check it out first to be safe.

Solution