Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Monitor for gaming on not only FPS games : 120hz TN vs 60+hz IPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 30, 2014 9:55:47 AM

Good evening kind sirs

I want to replace my old samsung lcd tft 21'5 that is starting to have some problem and I already have it for like 4 years, prolly give it to my brother-in-law, ok rambling stop.

So, I'm an avid gamer, its what I do with most of my free time unless I watch movies or go out with the few good friends I have.

Now, I have read that 120hz TN monitors are very good for FPS and I understand that.But its usually recommended if you play competitively or just on a semi-pro level or smth.Since I'm passed that in my life, sadly, and since now I'm playing others games, like Dota2, Starcraft2, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft,

Now, if I were playing only FPS games, there would be no question about it, TN120hz baby, but since I'm playing other games, mind you I have absolutely no problems playing FPS games on 60-80hz , and I watch a lot of TV Shows + movies wouldn't an IPS panel be a better choice?I'm also not looking for high ms and I see that IPS is faster than VA and 5ms is something I would aim for.Is this wrong is there any real diff between IPS 5ms ( some models says 5ms, some say 5ms GTG ) and maybe the 6 or 8 version?

So basically, when gaming a lot, but not religiously FPS and watching movies, is it better to get a 60+hz IPS rather than 120hz TN?

O and forgot to mention that I game on 1080p.
January 30, 2014 10:29:40 AM

Honestly, ips panels at 60hz are absolutely beautiful for gaming, and have gotten much better in terms of response time and input latency.

So, if you play fps at a competitive level, then 120hz. If you are finding yourself playing more non fps games, my recommendation is for the ips, as they have come a long way with the ips technology

at 60 hz you will notice the images looking a bit less fluid than a 120hz, but for overal joy, i've found i love my ips panel. It's just so damn pretty lol.

I also have a tn panel at 120hz, but i've found the only game i have to use it for is BF4 when sniping, otherwise i use the ips for everything else and am much happier with it than the tn panel (i get better scores on the tn panel of course)
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:31:07 AM

with the 6 or 8ms g-g response time you may see ghosting in fast moving games like racing games or first person shooters. i would recommend spending a little more on a quality ips panel, as if you cheap out, you tend to regret it more than buying a cheap tn panel.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2014 10:39:58 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
with the 6 or 8ms g-g response time you may see ghosting in fast moving games like racing games or first person shooters. i would recommend spending a little more on a quality ips panel, as if you cheap out, you tend to regret it more than buying a cheap tn panel.


Problem is the sites in my country dont specify that white to black stuff.

They have 2 options either : MS or MS GTG, does MS just mean Black to black or something I dont know, and GTG obv means grey to grey

So ok, I'll get IPS then but what ms would you recommend anything below and including 5ms and 5ms GTG?

m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:45:53 AM

5ms is fine, but anything above that can be noticably worse. i would heavily recommend sticking to5ms gtg if possible. what country and what monitor are you looking at? i may be able to provide north american links to the same monitors
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:49:36 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
5ms is fine, but anything above that can be noticably worse. i would heavily recommend sticking to5ms gtg if possible. what country and what monitor are you looking at? i may be able to provide north american links to the same monitors


From Romania, are there any 5 MS GTG that you would recommend? Cause we have a lot of shops and I need to know what model im looking for ,cause on the site that I usually buy from , they only have one 5 MS GTG and its out of stock, a shame it was a BenQ.And the rest are 5ms normal, and an Eizo 3.4 ms but,that company's prices are way to much for me.
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:51:51 AM

3.4ms is a really premium product and deserves the high price tag. lg and asus make some of the best ips panels for the money
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:52:43 AM

also PLS is very similar to ips and is also a good alternative if you can't find a good ips one in your area. same pretty colors, same response times, just a different technology
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 10:58:46 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
also PLS is very similar to ips and is also a good alternative if you can't find a good ips one in your area. same pretty colors, same response times, just a different technology



Btw, when I fiddle with the preferences for search parameters, should I always put it to include a DVI port?I heard that;s important for newer age monitors.Mine has only VGA and it sometimes get interference from the PC ( like lines on the monitor because of GPU coil whine ), and a buddy of mine gave me one of those expensives VGA cables that are very thick and it doesnt interfere anymore, but the cable is a bit faulty so is it a good idea to always search for one with a DVI port?
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 11:00:48 AM

dvi is very important, it's simply the best video interface out there at the moment. they aren't so thick any more, as the technology has come a long way. even hdmi is better than vga now

what video card do you have? as this will limit the types of connection you can use of course
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 11:04:55 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
dvi is very important, it's simply the best video interface out there at the moment. they aren't so thick any more, as the technology has come a long way. even hdmi is better than vga now

what video card do you have? as this will limit the types of connection you can use of course


I have : Gigabyte GTX 660
DVI 2
HDMI 1
Display port 1
Suport HDTV Yes

I have read btw, on sites like overclock.net and others that I should be looking for something like 5ms instead of 5 ms GTG because GTG is there for the sole purpose of advertising low ms when its actual "color to color" ms is like ~12.Internet why you confuse me!
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 11:11:48 AM

Get something with dvi and hdmi if you can. DVI alone will not carry audio, so you will need speakers or headphones.
HDMI is nearly as good (literally no visual difference unless you are trying to get 120hz monitor) and also carries audio
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 11:16:59 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
Get something with dvi and hdmi if you can. DVI alone will not carry audio, so you will need speakers or headphones.
HDMI is nearly as good (literally no visual difference unless you are trying to get 120hz monitor) and also carries audio


Just in case you didnt see my edit of my last post : " I have read btw, on sites like overclock.net and others that I should be looking for something like 5ms instead of 5 ms GTG because GTG is there for the sole purpose of advertising low ms when its actual "color to color" ms is like ~12.Internet why you confuse me! "

I have headphones and speakers so that wont e a problem.

m
0
l
January 30, 2014 11:25:18 AM

I agree with going IPS and 60Hz. You could get something like the ASUS PB238Q http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00906GBBC which is an excellent IPS panel monitor with great color reproduction and performs quite well in gaming.

You'll be much happier with an IPS panel over any performance grade TN panel any day.
m
0
l
January 30, 2014 12:24:02 PM

Tis a great panel sir
m
0
l

Best solution

January 30, 2014 12:25:26 PM

The colors are better than the asus, as well as the response time, but the asus has better contrast ratio, meaning blacks will look better
Share
January 30, 2014 12:32:36 PM

Cant find the Asus one, getting the LG most probably as it has one of the better prices from what I see here.
m
0
l
!