What happens if a 650 TIB is OC'd extremely?

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
I just saw that there is an option of "Overclocking Range Enhancement" in the settings pane of ASUS GPU Tweak. Now I enabled it and I see sliders go to 9999 MHz for Memory Clock and 2170 MHz for GPU Boost Clock. I've never tried overclocking and I always use the default profile. Now what could possibly happen if I applied these settings to my ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GD5 DCU OCII?

Will there be an improvement in games or just disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

When you get a chance, take a look at the guide above! However, that said, I would recommend first having a stable system ie cpu and memory overclocked stable. Meaning, you know that isn't going to be a variable causing a crash as you've tested it out for hours, sometimes days on end and you are 100% sure it's rock solid.
Then, push your gpu as far as it will handle in SMALL increments. You should stop when you either hang, see artifacts, or the system shuts down. The goal is to find your gpu's highest overclock that doesn't cause any of the above issues at a heat level you find tolerable. I recommend with your card to keep it closer to 70c or cooler. Some...

ProWilma

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
It'll just shutdown the PC because it wont receive enough power to run the card at that speed. However, if you adjust the voltage control too aggressively, you will cook the card. I suggest not playing with the voltages unless you are experienced at overclocking.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Okay then... I guess I went too far onto clock speeds... Now how far can I OC my GPU? I've already tried Clocking it to:-
Memory - 6008 MHz to 6050 MHz
Boost Clock- 1085 MHz to 1105 MHz

Now I don't see anything so great but small 5-10 FPS improvements to my games.

I think OC'ing my RAM would make a great improvement.

I have a G.Skill Sniper 4GB @ 1666 MHz and an EVM Value Memory 4GB @ 1333 MHz and both of them are running at 600-800 MHz as shown in Speccy (Is a software) and even after running games at challenging graphics. Both of their latency's and other settings have been made stable automatically by my mobo. If I try setting target frequency speeds in my motherboard, it still remains the same and if i set them too high, it says "Overclocking Failed". My CPU just supports 1066 MHz and 1333 MHz speeds whereas it is Intel Core i5 2310 @ 2.90 GHz. Last time I OC'd my RAM to 1866 MHz and it ran NFS Rivals @ Ultra High and 1920 x 1080 on 120 FPS. Now there was no display so I re-setted my BIOS (CMOS) and from then this is going on. My Mobo and GPU both support PCI-E 3.0 but my CPU Does not. (So I mostly need to upgrade to the latest CPU for LGA1155 Socket)

jnewegger23

Distinguished
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

When you get a chance, take a look at the guide above! However, that said, I would recommend first having a stable system ie cpu and memory overclocked stable. Meaning, you know that isn't going to be a variable causing a crash as you've tested it out for hours, sometimes days on end and you are 100% sure it's rock solid.
Then, push your gpu as far as it will handle in SMALL increments. You should stop when you either hang, see artifacts, or the system shuts down. The goal is to find your gpu's highest overclock that doesn't cause any of the above issues at a heat level you find tolerable. I recommend with your card to keep it closer to 70c or cooler. Some push it to 80c but the higher the more dangerous in terms of cooking your gpu. You seem to know some of what you are asking about but I think the way you present it makes it sound scary that you will do something damaging. I'm hoping you know better than you are presenting but that said I want to help be as clear as possible as to what can help you push your components the furthest together as a whole in ways that won't destroy anything. So, I'd create another thread on your setup and pushing your memory or just find similar threads already out there. Get your system stable at top notch oc's then push your gpu. Even then you may have to scale back a variable or two here and there to get it all right but you'll be running mad the way you're going about it unless you just really luck out and even then you may not be getting truly optimal results which it sounds like you are pursuing. Nonetheless, best of luck! Hope the guide helps you go further but keep the concepts I'm sharing in mind! As my UCLA Neuroscience professor once said, "Get the concept clear and the details will fall into place!" Have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.

btw I know the guide is for a 670 but the concepts are applicable to your gpu. Just be methodical and you'll get the most out of it! Again, have fun!

Solution

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
quite an answer there jnewegger23!
I know what I'm doing. I also extremely OC'd my GT630 and it's now gone. And then I also maximized OC range without the overclocking range enhancement option. So then, there are scarey and weird pixels, the nvidia display driver crashes and then everything gets stable. But then what happens is your games won't last more than 10 Minutes though they will have weird flashing objects and serious graphical errors. So I disabled OC'ing my 650 TIB and then I found that a GTX 650 TIB can be maximum OC'd to 1450 MHz GPU Boost Clock and 6500 MHz Memory Clock with 950 mV of Min GPU Voltage. After this OC, Assassin's Creed 4 runs on 1680 x 950, everything extreme, 30-60 FPS (Depending on your CPU).

I have not yet read the guide for OC'ing a GTX 670 but I'll check it out.

UPDATE: WARNING! Do NOT overclock until you are running games. It will instantly cause a Bluescreen if 45%< RAM is being used.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Nope... I knew what I did. My cooling performance is great and yeah, I OC'd my GPU to 1385 MHz Boost Clock and 8000 MHz Memory Clock. Then, I know nothing was to happen but recovery of data loss or a blue screen so I did it! :)

I also extremely OC'd my GT630 and it's now gone.
You destroyed your card by OCing it too far. I don't call that a blue screen, or data loss.

But then what happens is your games won't last more than 10 Minutes though they will have weird flashing objects and serious graphical errors.
AKA artifacts. A serious sign that you are damaging the silicon.

Also, you haven't mentioned the words 'stress testing' once.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Umm... I wouldn't say that because I'm running the same computer right now on which GTX 650 TIB is installed right now and is overclocked but not that high! The GT630 was gone because it was kept too long and unused. I just tried OC'ing i that far for 10 Minutes without any damage done. My computer is running rock solid and safe! :D

And NOW I have used Furmark without any overclocking. Stress testing was done here with fur mark after the OC test.

wing

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
IMO the op is being retarded. A person who does not learn from his/her own mistakes the first 2-3 times clearly is short a few rocks.

This is what you should do op.

1) Research overlocking to the full extent to where you don't need to goto forums and ask why the smoke came out and how to put it back in.

2) start with small mine-ute advances in the clock speed the stress testing for no less then 24 full hours.

3) heed the advice of others who are for all intents and purposes godlike to your own intellect.

4) Understand that while there are various versions and re-iterations of this card due to it being voltage locked on the hardware side there's is a very limited range to which the card can be stably overclocked. Of Which you should Never Need to Exceed!

A) Core Clock of +150 (NOTE SUFFICIANT COOLING AND 110% POWER IS NEEDED)
B) Memory clock of +300. All memory to current date is DDR (Dual Data Rate) this means that there are multiple IC chips that run in parallel hardward configuration giving the illusion that it runs at a 6Ghz speed. This is a marketing ploy and you should not be trying to catch that mark as you will fry the chips.
C) Set a User defined fan speed curve. It should be a rather dramatic curve since you clearly do not know what you are doing. I highly recommend using the following four points. 40/30, 60/50, 80/70 and lastly 100% @ 80c. This gives you the default fan speed at a cold idle of 30c of 40%fan and will increment 20% every 20degreesC. With this control set you should never breech 60c and you still wont notice the fan at 70%.

Finally; Start with a simple over clock. The GPU shouldn't need to be overclocked at all. While you can you only reduce the life of the card when you do. Start with 3100Mhz Memory, Leave it at that. Go in to what ever game you wish to play and turn up the texture settings to the max. Play for a bit and see if you notice any lag if you do then you need to turn down the video settings a bit, start with lower shadows as they are always the main source of video lag. Then turn down from 8x/16x to 8x/12x , 6x/12x then 4x/8x. At no point should you be trying to clock your card to reduce the amount of lag while under ultra high settings in any game. Once that is stable you might try a Small increase in the core clock +25-30Mhz should do but no more then +50Mhz Remember This Card Is Voltage Locked and it will only try to draw more current the higher you clock it with no further voltage coming in it will either over heat and melt some solder points or it will crash to a memory dump. Either way its extremely bad!

Always Er on the side of Caution and carefulness when over clocking.