No boot, mobo lights on, CPU fans on, PSU-fan off, Case-led on, Case-fans off

Specs:
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard
Corsair RM750, 750W PSU
2.5" 360GB SSD (boot)
Gainward GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB PhysX
Cooler Master HAF XB Midi Tower
CPU's will be explained

Straight to the problem; I originally had a 'AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU', and today I upgraded to 'AMD FX-9370'. I dismounted the fans, took out the old one, put in the new, therminal paste, mounted fans, connected keyboard+screen and turned the computer on. Everything seemed normal, and I waited for the mobo picture to show at startup. But the screens was all black, and there was no POST beep. I thought this was strange, and rebooted again a couple of times with no luck.

Then i googled a bit, and understood that i have to 'flash' the BIOS to a newer version. (I had no idea I had to do this). So I switched back to my original CPU (Phenom ll x4 965) in order to get into bios. But no, again it wouldnt load.

I quadra-checked that every cable is connected and started checking fans:
- PSU-fan is off
- Front fan on the computer-case is off (though the led is on)

- Top- and back fan on the computer-case is turned on
- I have one of those huge CPU-coolers, both fans are on
- GPU fan is on

I also checked the pins on the CPU, and i noticed that the old CPU now had broken pins. Damn. Must've happend when i pulled it out (lession learned i guess). Luckly, I got to borrow my girlfriends computer and tried her CPU (AMD FX-4100 4-Core Processor), but with no luck. Also worth to mention, it got warm, so it had power.

So my question is: what could go wrong in that process? I would be happy for any help!
8 answers Last reply
More about boot mobo lights cpu fans psu fan case led case fans
  1. Weirs... is the mobo damaged somehow?
  2. Finidi said:
    Weirs... is the mobo damaged somehow?


    No, i barely touched it. It looks like the AMD FX-4100 also needs a newer BIOS. But does that mean POST is not successfull (no beep) ?
  3. From what I have read you cannot put an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 socket because AM3 has fewer pins. It is possible that you damaged the socket, and then in doing so you damaged the old CPU when you tried to put it back in. Can you see if the socket on your MB has been damaged?

    I suggest trying your new CPU in your girlfriend's computer to see if it still works.
  4. I looked on msi's website and they say the mobo should have full support for AM3+

    If you dont hear a post bleep yoir pc is not booting meaning something is defect or not doing its job properly.
  5. Aristotelian said:
    From what I have read you cannot put an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 socket because AM3 has fewer pins. It is possible that you damaged the socket, and then in doing so you damaged the old CPU when you tried to put it back in. Can you see if the socket on your MB has been damaged?

    I suggest trying your new CPU in your girlfriend's computer to see if it still works.


    Thanks for the reply. It is compable AM3+ , though you need to update the bios according to the MSI website.
    My GF's computer is having mobo battery problems, so I cant check
  6. Finidi said:
    I looked on msi's website and they say the mobo should have full support for AM3+

    If you dont hear a post bleep yoir pc is not booting meaning something is defect or not doing its job properly.


    I understand, thanks. Will wrong BIOS verison <-> CPU make POST not complete?
  7. I doubt it will cuz that would make it very hard to update your bios if you would buy this cpu mobo combo. Even if it would, I dont get why one of your casefans does nothing...

    PSU fan not spinning can be normal btw because the corsair RM series have a zero rpm eature where they wont make the fan spin at all untill a certain load.
  8. Cyzla said:
    Specs:
    MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard
    Corsair RM750, 750W PSU
    2.5" 360GB SSD (boot)
    Gainward GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB PhysX
    Cooler Master HAF XB Midi Tower
    CPU's will be explained

    Straight to the problem; I originally had a 'AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU', and today I upgraded to 'AMD FX-9370'. I dismounted the fans, took out the old one, put in the new, therminal paste, mounted fans, connected keyboard+screen and turned the computer on. Everything seemed normal, and I waited for the mobo picture to show at startup. But the screens was all black, and there was no POST beep. I thought this was strange, and rebooted again a couple of times with no luck.

    Then i googled a bit, and understood that i have to 'flash' the BIOS to a newer version. (I had no idea I had to do this). So I switched back to my original CPU (Phenom ll x4 965) in order to get into bios. But no, again it wouldnt load.

    I quadra-checked that every cable is connected and started checking fans:
    - PSU-fan is off
    - Front fan on the computer-case is off (though the led is on)

    - Top- and back fan on the computer-case is turned on
    - I have one of those huge CPU-coolers, both fans are on
    - GPU fan is on

    I also checked the pins on the CPU, and i noticed that the old CPU now had broken pins. Damn. Must've happend when i pulled it out (lession learned i guess). Luckly, I got to borrow my girlfriends computer and tried her CPU (AMD FX-4100 4-Core Processor), but with no luck. Also worth to mention, it got warm, so it had power.

    So my question is: what could go wrong in that process? I would be happy for any help!


    Hey man,
    I had the same problem.
    No beeps means 9/10 times that your PSU is not fully working.
    I think the CPU needs more power than your PSU can give.
    Can you check with a known working PSU with many watts? (around 450 should be enough)
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Light Boot CPUs LED Monitor Fan Systems Cases