Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CM HYPER 212 EVO vs CM SEIDON 120V vs CORSAIR H80

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 31, 2014 1:25:57 PM

So i have an amd fx 8120 and its really loud with the stock cooler i have these 3 cooling options to pick from as they all cost around the same

COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
COOLER MASTER SEIDON 120V
CORSAIR H80 ( NOT THE H80i )

which is the best, i probably will overclock later down the road but which cooler shall i get ? also i would wont it to be as quiet as possible with maximum efficiency and cooling
January 31, 2014 1:34:37 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo it it pretty quiet and is a really good cpu cooler
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 1:39:05 PM

Stan Harris said:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo it it pretty quiet and is a really good cpu cooler


in the long term wopuld water cooling be better ? also from some sources apprently the h80 is the coolest of them all :D  , also the cm hyper 212 evo is pretty big and i dont know if it will fit
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2014 1:44:11 PM

You have to clean the h80 lot because dust clogs the radiator easier then the fins of the 212 Evo in turn making the h80 not cool as well in the long run
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 1:44:56 PM

What case are you using
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2014 1:56:20 PM

The H80 would be the best solution heat wise, but those style water coolers can get pretty loud. As for the quietest solution, I'd say the 212 Evo. I have one in my set-up and i rarely hear it. Now, obviously you can replace the fan with a better one but I have the stock fan and the only way i hear mine is when the fans around 60-70% usage. It also keeps my i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3GHz around the 50-55c mark at full load.
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:06:23 PM

The Evo will fit in your case
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:06:49 PM

BigBAWZ said:
The H80 would be the best solution heat wise, but those style water coolers can get pretty loud. As for the quietest solution, I'd say the 212 Evo. I have one in my set-up and i rarely hear it. Now, obviously you can replace the fan with a better one but I have the stock fan and the only way i hear mine is when the fans around 60-70% usage. It also keeps my i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3GHz around the 50-55c mark at full load.


any ideas of how cool it will keep my fx 18120 at stock 3.1ghz ? my stock fan keeps it at 32 when browsing and sufing internet etc.. also ts been running for the past 5 hours or so, also how will i power the h80
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:07:26 PM

Stan Harris said:
The Evo will fit in your case


wouldnt the h80 do the job ? as i will buy ti now as the place i buy from are low on atock
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2014 2:10:26 PM

Zaman786Ahmad said:
BigBAWZ said:
The H80 would be the best solution heat wise, but those style water coolers can get pretty loud. As for the quietest solution, I'd say the 212 Evo. I have one in my set-up and i rarely hear it. Now, obviously you can replace the fan with a better one but I have the stock fan and the only way i hear mine is when the fans around 60-70% usage. It also keeps my i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3GHz around the 50-55c mark at full load.


any ideas of how cool it will keep my fx 18120 at stock 3.1ghz ? my stock fan keeps it at 32 when browsing and sufing internet etc.. also ts been running for the past 5 hours or so, also how will i power the h80


I can't really say how cool your 8120 will be because I've never had any experience with one. But i can tell you that on my stock cooler my temps were around the 75-80c range at full load and the 212 Evo brought that down all the way to 50-55c. So that should give you a general idea.
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:13:50 PM

so the h80 is the way to go ? also what about the cm seidon ? or shall i avoid that
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2014 2:16:14 PM

Zaman786Ahmad said:
so the h80 is the way to go ? also what about the cm seidon ? or shall i avoid that


Depends if you want cooling or silence? As for the CM Seidon i can't really say much because I've never seen one in action.
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:17:20 PM

BigBAWZ said:
Zaman786Ahmad said:
so the h80 is the way to go ? also what about the cm seidon ? or shall i avoid that


Depends if you want cooling or silence? As for the CM Seidon i can't really say much because I've never seen one in action.


i wont the best of both and if water cooling does a better job but will require to get better fans im happy
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:34:00 PM

When it comes to water cooler they are nice and cool but have alot of points of possible failure. What if you spring a leak your mobo, psu, gpu and when it over heats your cpu will be cooked you might even get a cooler that is leaking when it is shipped to you this is why I prefer air coolers like the Evo
m
1
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2014 2:41:13 PM

Stan Harris said:
When it comes to water cooler they are nice and cool but have alot of points of possible failure. What if you spring a leak your mobo, psu, gpu and when it over heats your cpu will be cooked you might even get a cooler that is leaking when it is shipped to you this is why I prefer air coolers like the Evo


+1 to that. Also, if your looking to get a silent/performance air cooler I'd suggest the Nocuta NH-D14. The Nocuta gets around or below the same temperatures as the H80 but without the problems of water cooling. Now, it is bulky and may not fit inside your case. Just make sure to measure the case and make sure before ordering it!
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 2:47:33 PM

BigBAWZ said:
Stan Harris said:
When it comes to water cooler they are nice and cool but have alot of points of possible failure. What if you spring a leak your mobo, psu, gpu and when it over heats your cpu will be cooked you might even get a cooler that is leaking when it is shipped to you this is why I prefer air coolers like the Evo


+1 to that. Also, if your looking to get a silent/performance air cooler I'd suggest the Nocuta NH-D14. The Nocuta gets around or below the same temperatures as the H80 but without the problems of water cooling. Now, it is bulky and may not fit inside your case. Just make sure to measure the case and make sure before ordering it!


alright but letsb honest whats the chance of my loop failing ? also normally the leank would be near the radiatior right ? this is why il have it mounted at the front
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2014 2:50:59 PM

Zaman786Ahmad said:
BigBAWZ said:
Stan Harris said:
When it comes to water cooler they are nice and cool but have alot of points of possible failure. What if you spring a leak your mobo, psu, gpu and when it over heats your cpu will be cooked you might even get a cooler that is leaking when it is shipped to you this is why I prefer air coolers like the Evo


+1 to that. Also, if your looking to get a silent/performance air cooler I'd suggest the Nocuta NH-D14. The Nocuta gets around or below the same temperatures as the H80 but without the problems of water cooling. Now, it is bulky and may not fit inside your case. Just make sure to measure the case and make sure before ordering it!


alright but letsb honest whats the chance of my loop failing ? also normally the leank would be near the radiatior right ? this is why il have it mounted at the front


The chances of the closed look failing is impossible to figure out. You may buy one and it'll last you 5+ years, or you can buy one and it'll fail within a week. Its completely by chance. It's up too you if you want to take that change. Personally I don't want and "water" or "cooling liquid" anywhere near my PC components. Which is why i have a 212 Evo.
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 4:40:18 PM

BigBAWZ said:
Zaman786Ahmad said:
BigBAWZ said:
Stan Harris said:
When it comes to water cooler they are nice and cool but have alot of points of possible failure. What if you spring a leak your mobo, psu, gpu and when it over heats your cpu will be cooked you might even get a cooler that is leaking when it is shipped to you this is why I prefer air coolers like the Evo


+1 to that. Also, if your looking to get a silent/performance air cooler I'd suggest the Nocuta NH-D14. The Nocuta gets around or below the same temperatures as the H80 but without the problems of water cooling. Now, it is bulky and may not fit inside your case. Just make sure to measure the case and make sure before ordering it!


alright but letsb honest whats the chance of my loop failing ? also normally the leank would be near the radiatior right ? this is why il have it mounted at the front


The chances of the closed look failing is impossible to figure out. You may buy one and it'll last you 5+ years, or you can buy one and it'll fail within a week. Its completely by chance. It's up too you if you want to take that change. Personally I don't want and "water" or "cooling liquid" anywhere near my PC components. Which is why i have a 212 Evo.


alright il have a look do some research and report back :D 
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 4:47:54 PM

I know most of what I know from lots and lots of research because I wanted a h100i miself until I did the research and decided to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo instead
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 4:54:43 PM

what made u change your mind ?
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 5:04:53 PM

Didn't want to have to clean out the radiator all of the time and didn't want to have a chance of getting my $2,500 rig wet and frying it in the future and I heard of the pumps going out and not circulating the fluid and frying the cpu and I wanted to make sure that I could use my rig right away and not have a chance of having to wait and reorder a leaking cooler. I mean its a long shot of that happening but it's just my luck though lol
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 2:42:43 AM

doesnt the radiator get dirty when u do push pull or the other one ? also i dont mind cleaning it out every 4-6 months, an if i get better performence if that being like 5 degrees i see it as bein better
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 7:57:39 AM

Either way dust will get into the radiator but not as much if your case has dust filters on it
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 11:15:49 AM

Stan Harris said:
Either way dust will get into the radiator but not as much if your case has dust filters on it


how much are dust filters ? i got non :D  only the one supplied for the psu which was priinstalled
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 12:20:52 PM

How many and what sizes are your case fans
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 1:11:38 PM

Stan Harris said:
How many and what sizes are your case fans


Front: 120mm x 1 (120mm Red LED Included)
Side: 120 / 140mm x 1
Rear: 80 / 90 / 120mm x 1
Top: 120mm x 1

non came with my case
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 1:55:16 PM

So does the side have a 120mm fan or a 140mm fan
And does the rear have a 80mm, 90mm, or a 120mm fan
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 2:21:30 PM

Stan Harris said:
So does the side have a 120mm fan or a 140mm fan
And does the rear have a 80mm, 90mm, or a 120mm fan


it can have either of does sizes for example

120 / 140 = 120 or 140 fan :) 
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 2:44:13 PM

sorry im actually in the uk , do you mind doing it of amazon or ebay ? please i would really appreciate it
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 4:18:56 PM

thanks also shall i put the filter between the radiator and the fan or the fan and the out side world
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 4:34:39 PM

Put on inside of case so it will catch the dust as it is blown through the radiator
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 5:01:53 PM

Stan Harris said:
Put on inside of case so it will catch the dust as it is blown through the radiator


ahhjh okay
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2014 5:27:08 PM

Just a different approach. Take a look at my signature. I have pics of my rig on pcpartpicker. I bought custom filters to place on the outside and I have the h80i. I love how quiet my rig is and it's literally way cooler! It also has a much cleaner look in my opinion. With my setup, once a week I wash the filters with water. Wipe them dry and slap them back on. My rig always looks brand new! Just my 2cents!

Here's where I bought them: http://www.demcifilter.com/

No, I don't work for them. These guys are located in South Africa so I waited a little bit for them to come to San Diego (took a little over 1week) so just be patient with that. If you go either air or liquid you'll find these filter solutions to be a great time saver! Plus it keeps your rig like new inside and out without compromising style! Either way have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 5:55:33 PM

I like your answer jnewegger23 I looked at their site I want some for my next build I had never heard of www.demcifilter.com before
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 5:56:10 PM

And nice build jnewegger23
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2014 7:05:38 PM

@Stan Harris
Thanks man! Demciflex has some quality stuff. I also I agree with a lot of points you've put out there. If I were to go air cooling before I got my h80i I would have gone with your 212 evo as well; that's one of the best! You should list your build in your sig too!
m
0
l
February 1, 2014 7:28:45 PM

Thanks and I am starting a new build for gaming/rendering so after I complete my build I am going to list it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2014 10:18:58 PM

Zaman786Ahmad said:
BigBAWZ said:
The H80 would be the best solution heat wise, but those style water coolers can get pretty loud. As for the quietest solution, I'd say the 212 Evo. I have one in my set-up and i rarely hear it. Now, obviously you can replace the fan with a better one but I have the stock fan and the only way i hear mine is when the fans around 60-70% usage. It also keeps my i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3GHz around the 50-55c mark at full load.


any ideas of how cool it will keep my fx 18120 at stock 3.1ghz ? my stock fan keeps it at 32 when browsing and sufing internet etc.. also ts been running for the past 5 hours or so, also how will i power the h80

I honestly say it will lower it down to 20
m
0
l
February 2, 2014 2:42:19 AM

jnewegger23 i cant see where u have put your fan filters where they on the outside of your fans ,also shalli follow the same hrat patern as you ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2014 3:08:12 AM

Here's some larger pics:
Rear Filter on the outside:

Top Filter on the outside:

Front Filter on the outside:


So, yeah, they are all on the outside! I hope this helps! Have fun!

I always add something after I submit and have to update. So, with regard to the heat pattern:

Of course I'll be biased in answering yes of course follow my heat pattern but rather than say that I'll explain my logic. There are 2 schools of thought here, one is negative pressure vs positive pressure. Both are effective with pros and cons. What I have is a positive pressure setup. This brings in slightly more cool air in compared to hot air going out. The advantage to a positive pressure system is that by definition it creates some positive air pressure in the case with cool air; this does two things. First, it helps with cooling. Second, it prevents dust from filtering in.
Alternatively, other setups may choose to have a negative pressure setup. These systems focus more on dispelling heat from the system more efficiently. The big disadvantage is much more dirt tends to invade these negative pressure types of setups. Again, I am biased towards my current positive pressure setup but there are clear logical reasons for it. I idle around 20c and rarely hit loads over 60c with a 4.4GHz 247 Overclock. So, I'm very happy with my configuration and highly recommend it. I'm sure there are other great arguments for other setups but I don't want to hijack this thread too far away from your original question but he asked! Zaman786Ahmad I hoped this helps! Again, have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Here's one more pic of the inside of how my H80i sits in my rig:

I just love how clean a closed loop liquid cooling system looks. You can also change the LED color of the corsair symbol in the middle to any color you want! It's literally cool! I chose this over the h100i to keep the overhead fan with it's white LED's as well. The H100i is technically the better liquid cooling system but I'm happy with what I've got.
m
0
l
February 2, 2014 4:08:23 AM

jnewegger23 said:
Here's some larger pics:
Rear Filter on the outside:

Top Filter on the outside:

Front Filter on the outside:


So, yeah, they are all on the outside! I hope this helps! Have fun!

I always add something after I submit and have to update. So, with regard to the heat pattern:

Of course I'll be biased in answering yes of course follow my heat pattern but rather than say that I'll explain my logic. There are 2 schools of thought here, one is negative pressure vs positive pressure. Both are effective with pros and cons. What I have is a positive pressure setup. This brings in slightly more cool air in compared to hot air going out. The advantage to a positive pressure system is that by definition it creates some positive air pressure in the case with cool air; this does two things. First, it helps with cooling. Second, it prevents dust from filtering in.
Alternatively, other setups may choose to have a negative pressure setup. These systems focus more on dispelling heat from the system more efficiently. The big disadvantage is much more dirt tends to invade these negative pressure types of setups. Again, I am biased towards my current positive pressure setup but there are clear logical reasons for it. I idle around 20c and rarely hit loads over 60c with a 4.4GHz 247 Overclock. So, I'm very happy with my configuration and highly recommend it. I'm sure there are other great arguments for other setups but I don't want to hijack this thread too far away from your original question but he asked! Zaman786Ahmad I hoped this helps! Again, have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Here's one more pic of the inside of how my H80i sits in my rig:

I just love how clean a closed loop liquid cooling system looks. You can also change the LED color of the corsair symbol in the middle to any color you want! It's literally cool! I chose this over the h100i to keep the overhead fan with it's white LED's as well. The H100i is technically the better liquid cooling system but I'm happy with what I've got.


Thanks Man !! exactly what i needed to see it visually also can i change the the spped of the fans without pressing the button on the actuall cooler
m
0
l
!