Best $200 for Arma 2 & Arma 3

drexvil

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I'd like to get into Arma 3 and but need to upgrade first. I'm just starting Arma 2 OA and like it a lot, but I'm getting around 15-25 fps on singleplayer low details no AA with 2560x1440 resolution. I read that Arma is very CPU dependent, but this article seems to show that GPU matters just as much: http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page4.html

I only have $150-$200 to spend on either the video card or the CPU/motherboard. I know I won't play anywhere near 60fps, but I just want to know where to put my money into for the best value. I can always upgrade more later. A requirement is that I play at my current resolution.

Considerations:
FX 8320BE $100 from Microcenter + a budget OC motherboard (which one?)
--OR--
Powercolor Radeon HD 7850 2GB: $120
--OR--
Something else!

Current Setup:
CPU: Phenom II x2 560, no core unlocks and overclocked to 3.7Ghz stable.
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
MB: MSI 870a-g54, non FX (not AM3+)
VIDEO: Galaxy GTX 460 768MB
PS: 500W
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

Approximate Purchase Date: this month

Budget Range: $200 after shipping and rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Arma 2, Arma 3, DayZ

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU & motherboard OR video card

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter, Newegg

Parts Preferences: Any

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Additional Comments: None

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Play Arma 2, Arma 3 and other simulations

Solution
depends... if your play multiplayer the CPU is balls to the wall the most important but, if single player is more your style that the GPU is gonna take the grunt i play the games alot and i also suffer from low frames and know this to be true (60fps+ HIGH SP) (12FPS LOW Multiplayer)

drexvil

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
That's an interesting take, but I'd rather buy just the CPU or GPU, not both. It's because I'll buy more parts in 6-12 months so don't want to get a CPU that's only a incrementally better.

mrpizzaface

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
depends... if your play multiplayer the CPU is balls to the wall the most important but, if single player is more your style that the GPU is gonna take the grunt i play the games alot and i also suffer from low frames and know this to be true (60fps+ HIGH SP) (12FPS LOW Multiplayer)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS