R9 270 running, fans spinning, but not detecting any display?

eternaln7

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I installed an ASUS R9 270 2GB OC edition into my computer, and plugged in the single 6pin connector. I have a 460w PSU from Dell, and I googled to see if it would work and many people said it would be good for the card as long as I didn't overclock.

However, when I turn on the PC the fans on the card start spinning but my monitor isn't detecting a display. I've tried both VGA and HDMI. The keyboard doesn't power on either, but my mouse, speakers, and headset do.

My specs:
Dell XPS 8300
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz

Is it an issue with the power supply? I'm continuing to google and people are saying that even an R9 270x would work with Dell's 460w. I'm willing to buy a new power supply but only after I find out for sure whether or not that is the solution.

Solution
PCI-E 3.0 have backward compatibility to older version on PCI-E. i believe yours to be 2.0. i the past PCI-E 2.1 have problem on mobo with PCI-E 1.1 and below but i haven't heard such a thing with cards based on PCI-E 3.0. anyway i suspect it's your psu since when you remove the 6 pin (hence not pulling any power from the 6 pin cable) your pc able to boot normally.

eternaln7

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

All components worked fine once I removed the 6pin connector from the card and restarted the computer.

But I've also heard about the XPS 8300 mobo to be incompatible with certain cards, and it hasn't been updated since 2011.

I could order a new PSU but I have to be sure that it's the problem first.

PCI-E 3.0 have backward compatibility to older version on PCI-E. i believe yours to be 2.0. i the past PCI-E 2.1 have problem on mobo with PCI-E 1.1 and below but i haven't heard such a thing with cards based on PCI-E 3.0. anyway i suspect it's your psu since when you remove the 6 pin (hence not pulling any power from the 6 pin cable) your pc able to boot normally.

Solution

eternaln7

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Alright, I'll head to a microcenter and grab a 600w and try it out, thanks