R9 290 DVI > VGA compatible?

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hey, quick question. I 've got a R9 290 windforce so no reference model here.

So the dvi port is not old at all and i have an old VGA monitor which i wanted to connect, but it doesn't seem to be compatible.

And when i look for DVI > VGA cables i can't find any which fits the GPU. So is it possible to connect a R9 290 to a VGA monitor? Thanks in advance!

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, we already had a DVI > VGA cable and it could not fit into the GPU, the others we had a look at were the same. So i doubt it'll work.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
"A passive DVI-to-VGA adapter. This adapter will NOT work with a DVI-D output. It requires a DVI-I or DVI-A output to get the analog signal to a VGA input (even if the adapter looks like a DVI-D). A more expensive active adapter (or converter) is required to connect DVI-D to VGA. "

So, unless you have DVI-I or DVI-A on your board you`ll not be able to hook up a VGA monitor to your card.

I was just looking at this myself [r9-290/290x] - can amd do something to hurt sales its done .. why have 2 dvi-d ??? seems the correct way is 2 dvi-I or 1 dvi-d and one dvi-I -- so I guess I have to take AMD cards don't support analog with out jumping through a lot of hoops to do so or added expense over the cost of the card [that now ends up as not fully functional] ???

heck look at the new NVidia cards like the 970 with one dvi . at least its the dvi-I that gives analog

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

IF you buy a 290 card everybody thinks you live in 2014+ year .. meaning who the hell still wants to use an analog display with such a beast of a card ? The signal itself is lower grade on analog, so why would they continue to support a dyeing port ?

well it seems the op and me still tend to do things that require it as I see most others who post here on the card and find there screwed -- also of you look the brand new 2014 NVidia cards got dvi-I so you say there out dated as well ??? and the the 280x and below have dvi-I ?? are they out dated as well ??

like I said its just one more thing AMD went stupid and it just hurt sales of there 290/x cards to folks like me who got crt monitors in use that do a better job than most flat screens overall.

so all I see is if I buy a 290 card is I been shorted cause the newer 970/980 cards got things covered , right ??

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Actually stupid is to have top of the range video cards and have crappy monitors that don`t support digital signal, why would you still opt to use such low grade image delivery system is beyond me.