A £450 ($650) Build for a friend. To beat Xbox One.

PingPonm

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
My friend told he he is going to get an Xbox one but would consider a gaming PC. He has a net-book with an integrated atom CPU and he thought a gaming pc on-par with an Xbox One wold cost >£700 (>$1000).

Now, he also likes the look of PC titles such as DayZ, modded Skyrim, Battlefield 1080p settings. Anyway, I want to know if this PC will play all these games and BF4 on atleast medium settings at 1024p? And will it look better than the Xbox One? Considering it's 720p I don't expect that to be hard but I'd like it to keep a stead frame-rate to? I have a barely used 1280x1024 monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for him already. Thanks!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2LjBh

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
That build looks great. Just swap the PSU out for another brand like XFX or SeaSonic and that will make it even better. Also, I would suggest downgrading the memory to 4Gb's which is still enough to play any game on ultra settings. A lot of people mistake gaming needing 8Gb's of RAM but that is not necessary. Spend the extra £30 that you get for downgrading the memory on upgrading the graphics card to an R9 280 or GTX 760.

Roxas_Boy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

Nope, keep the 8GB RAM as that is the recommended amount for a gaming PC no more no less. 4GB is OK but some games like CoD Ghosts won't even start with 4GB of RAM

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Actually Infinity Ward lowered the minimum memory from 6Gb's to 4Gb's on Ghosts. 4Gb's is enough to run any game on ultra, but if you are looking to future proof your rig then yes, stick with 8Gb's.

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Completely agree, I think it looks good too. It will definitely give an Xbox1 a run, if you could sone how find another 30-40 would be able to upgrade your card and definitely destroy it

And I don't really understand why everyone always craps on the Cosair CX series. I realize that they are not the absolute highest quality PSU but I have used them in entry level friends and family builds and I have never had a problem. I think there great a entry PSU, its not like his buddy is going to be doing any OCing/SLI