$1000 gaming pc seeking help with choosing components

agalna

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I'm looking to build a pc to play modern games on highest settings at 1080p. I play mostly LoL at the moment, but this computer will likely serve as my primary gaming device in lieu of a ps4 or xbox one. This is my first computer build and I would like help on selecting components. My budget is about $1000 but this is not an absolute maximum. I have done some research on components mostly using logical increments and tomshardware and have thus far ended up with this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2M3TH

I am unsure how to choose a psu that compliments this build and would like help in selecting one. In general, I would like to know if this list has any glaring flaws ie certain parts are not compatible, there are more cost efficient alternatives, or certain parts don't make sense for whatever reason. I want the ability to overclock and have selected parts that allow for this from my understanding, but if I am incorrect or if doing so doesn't make sense based on my needs please let me know. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution
It's a pretty decent start. That case is junk though, and for a dual channel rig you need 2 x 4GB, not 1 x 8GB. This is what I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.14 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA...

g-unit1111

Titan
It's a pretty decent start. That case is junk though, and for a dual channel rig you need 2 x 4GB, not 1 x 8GB. This is what I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.14 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($23.21 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.77 @ Amazon)
Total: $1026.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-02 15:55 EST-0500)

Solution
Thank you for picking an i5 over a (pointless) i7. :p

I would consider changing the motherboard to something like the AsRock Extreme 4 - I like MSI for graphics cards, don't consider them top-line for motherboards.

Instead of 1x8GB of RAM, you really, really want 2x4GB. It'll cost the same, but let you run in dual channel, which gives you twice the bandwidth.

I would personally take a western digital blue over a seagate barracuda - the barracudas tend to run a little hotter and noisier in my experience.

If you can at all, try to bump the graphics card up. A 760 will let you play somewhere around high settings. A 770 will let you play on ultra presets. A 780 will let you max everything out. (This is at 1080p, and there will be a few special exceptions for games like, say, crysis 3.)

...erm, you forgot something on that fancy list of yours. How exactly do you expect this computer to work without a power supply? xP

G

DarkSable, agalna is asking for help concerning the PSU:

"I am unsure how to choose a psu that compliments this build and would like help in selecting one. "

agalna, g-unit1111 has recommended this following PSU for you and your PC build:
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)

agalna

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Alright so I made the adjustments you guys recommended.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2M8zm

Mostly the same as g-unit1111's build but I upgraded the 760 to a 770, changed the hdd to Western Digital Caviar Blue (pretty sure this is the one DarkSable was referring to), and went for the AsRock Extreme 4 mobo. Thank you all for the help! It is greatly appreciated and I am ready to start ordering components now unless anyone has last second recommendations.

g-unit1111

Titan

Get the Seagate hard drive, I've been reading some not so good things about Caviar Blues lately. I've heard that Western Digital's quality control has gone way downhill.

TRENDING THREADS