when i flip the switch on my power supply from 115V to 320v my lcd monitor goes black and will not display.

i like to have my cpu running at max, so i flip to switch on my power supply to a higher voltage, does anyone know why my monitor shuts off?:??:
9 answers Last reply
More about flip switch power supply 115v 320v lcd monitor black display
  1. where do you live? in USA it stays at 115v only switch it if you are in europe. US domestic power is at 120 volts and 60 hertz, most of the rest of the world has 220 volts at 50 hertz.
  2. http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/brookline/files/2013/12/picard.jpg

    That switch is the input voltage selector. Make sure it matches the input line voltage and then do not mess with it.

    In north America and a few other places it should be at the 115v. Otherwise 230v

    If it is set to 230 on a 120 line it will not work right
    If it is set to 115 on a 230 line then ... BOOM
  3. Yes. That is because your electrical outlet only has 120V available. When you switch the PSU's voltage selector, all you are doing is telling it that it is plugged into a 230V outlet... which it isn't. Therefore the voltage divider is only supplying the system with half the necessary voltage. Never change that switch from what ever voltage it is plugged into.
  4. niles1401 said:
    i like to have my cpu running at max, so i flip to switch on my power supply to a higher voltage, does anyone know why my monitor shuts off?:??:


    :heink:
    :no:
  5. this guy sounds like Eddie Van Halen, and every other weirdo who then takes a VariAC to crank UP the AC on their gear to get MOAR TONE!!! except the opposite, he's emulating a brown-out or a dimmer... hmm...

    hey, if you want your CPU running at MAX, bypass the PSU and just run 120V AC to the whole mobo.
  6. Your cpu only needs 1 volt. You are lucky your are selecting a higher voltage than you have available and not a lower one, or you would hear a pop and smoke would come from the unit. Did you notice the switch is difficult to get at? This is to stop the untaught from moving it.
    Messing with it is dangerous.
  7. Why is there even such a switch? My PSU don't have one nor any psu ive really ever seen here. Is this a thing quite common in the US or what?
  8. Quakecry said:
    Why is there even such a switch? My PSU don't have one nor any psu ive really ever seen here. Is this a thing quite common in the US or what?


    Old / Low quality PSUs have a switch

    High quality PSUs with active power factor correction do it automaticly
  9. smeezekitty said:
    Quakecry said:
    Why is there even such a switch? My PSU don't have one nor any psu ive really ever seen here. Is this a thing quite common in the US or what?


    Old / Low quality PSUs have a switch

    High quality PSUs with active power factor correction do it automaticly



    that's got nothing to do with Active PFC. that's autoranging.
Ask a new question

Read More

LCD Monitor Switch Graphics Power Supplies Displays