7970 Single Monitor HDMI Setup

bazzaj84

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Hi Guys,
I want to run my gaming pc through my hdtv. The problem is I want to output video and audio through the hdmi port on the 7970 not the dvi port (as I want sound not just video hence using the hdmi port). Problem is I can get it to use the HDMI output as the second screen fine and it works but I just want to have it use the hdmi output as the main/single screen setup. I can change while in dual screen setup to make the hdmi screen the main one but then when i restart it goes back to the DVI output as default. In short all I want is a hdmi cable going from my 7970 to my hdtv and I dont want to use the DVI. Any ideas??? Please help this is doing my head in!! hahaha

bazzaj84

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Hi Brantyn,
Thanks for the reply,
I dont have any problem getting sound and video using the hdmi cable. The problem is I basically have to have the DVI and the hdmi connected on my video card to the Hdtv for it to work as every time I boot it reverts back to outputting from the DVI connector. I then have to go through again setting up dual monitors to make it output through the hdmi again. Does this make sense?? Thanks again for your help

bazzaj84

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Sorry yeah thats correct I have to have them both plugged in every time I boot in order to get the video card to output through the hdmi again. Once I have the hdmi output set as the default display I can diconnect the DVI and just use the screen connected the the hdmi. Im not sure about saving the settings, in the catalyst suite I apply the settings to get it to ususe the hdmi screen but when I reboot its back to the DVI as default. Am also worried about a drop in performance while gaming the way I am currently doing it as the card is basically running the game on two screens.

bazzaj84

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

I dont have two video cards, I just have to have both the DVI and the HDMI of the 7970 connected at the same time in order for it to work. The 7970 has a DVI, HDMI and two display ports on it. I just want to use the HDMI on its own, at the moment though I need to connect both the HDMI and DVI ports of the card to the HDTV and then switch between the inputs on my TV to get the HDMI output of the card working.

bazzaj84

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Sorry Brantyn,
Yeah mate thats exactly right it doesnt work only with the HDMI cable in. I can only get it to output through the hdmi if I set it up like a dual monitor setup where it is outputting through the DVI along with the HDMI

Make sure your tv is set to pc mode, as many hdtv's have this setting somewhere deep within their menus. Also, when having it plugged in with both, make sure you right click and set the hdmi one as your primary display adapter, as well as your primary screen (so both your main desktop screen, as well as the primary for 3d applications) make sure you save the settings after you apply them. other than that, i really don't have an extensive enough knowledge with amd software to really help any further :(