7970 Matrix Platinum Temps

CarpenterD

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hello, I've had my 7970 Matrix Platinum for a while now and it has always had a temperature "problem". When playing most games, including source engine games like insurgency the GPU temp hovers around 80°C. I hear this is intended due to the high clock speeds and voltages on the card. Should I downclock a little and lower the voltages since I hate fan noise so much? and if I do that, would it be easy to go back to 1100, 1650 (what its at now).
Are there any dedicated pieces of hardware that are intended to reduce GPU temps that are easy to install? like a fan that blows from the HDD cages or something? I intend to go crossfire with this card at some point - I assume the temperatures will be even more ridiculous when I do that?

Also (probably a more important issue) I get temporary black screens every now and then which I think is the display driver crashing and restoring. Is there a fix for this?

Cheers guys!

PC Specs:
i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 GSkill RAM
7970 Matrix Platinum @ 1100, 1650
120GB SSD
2TB HDD

those temp arent bad at all, my vapor x although even without replacing the paste never went over ~65-70c full load at the same clocks even in fur mark.

I would say it could be due to case ventilation, how many fans are you running?

In xfire even high load I only go to 80c max but I do have tons of fans and a 120x 40mm blowing through both my cards and a 240mm blowing towards them on the side with a custom fan curve to max the fan speeds at 80c.

I would say replace the thermal compound on the card and report back, it dropped my dual x temps 10c

CarpenterD

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks guys, I guess I can deal with the temps for now. What about the black screen driver crashes?
I have removed EVERY driver to do with my GPUs with driver sweeper etc. multiple times and installed the latest driver but it is still happening (not too often but that's not the point) have you had this before, is this common with this card? (Its only when gaming and seems to be quite random although the only game coming to memory is PAYDAY 2.

CarpenterD

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I actually just experienced the driver crash now, this is the message from event viewer:
Event ID 4101 Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.